12 posts
8 users
6k+ views
DCD_Ski
December 27, 2017
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
8 posts

Hi All,

I've had numerous issues with ski boots over the years due to not having typical feet (arches, instep) and shins.  

Any opinions on getting custom fit boots? Is it worth the time and money?

Are there any suggestions on who/where to go to get custom fit boots?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jimmy
December 27, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

DCD_Ski wrote:

Hi All,

I've had numerous issues with ski boots over the years due to not having typical feet (arches, instep) and shins.  

Any opinions on getting custom fit boots? Is it worth the time and money? YES

Are there any suggestions on who/where to go to get custom fit boots? BUD HEISHMAN at Snowind Sports in Reno is very good. Tell us where you are and maybe someone will recommend someplace closer to you ;)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

DCD_Ski wrote:

Hi All,

Any opinions on getting custom fit boots? Is it worth the time and money?

Are there any suggestions on who/where to go to get custom fit boots?

Yes, it is worth the time and money do get boots from a good boot fitter.  Do not need to get the latest year model.  "New old stock" is often available from an experienced boot fitter.  Tweaks should be free for the life of the boots.  Brian at Pro-Fit in Leesburg and Brian (different man) at Alpine has been recommended often.  Don't remember which Alpine location.  Always best to call and get an appointment.  Plan on 2 hours at least, better if you have 3 hours.

I've talked with Don C of Freestyle in Charlottesville at the Massanutten Demo Days.  If I lived closer, I would be happy to work with him.  Likely to get Intuition liners from there this season because my liners are packing out.  I have a local bootfitter in central NC but he doesn't do custom liners.

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2017
169 posts

Agree with MarzNC above.  

To my knowledge. there are 3 well-respected boot fitters in DC Metro area.  (there maybe more but I only know these 3 Brians)

1) Brian (don't know his last name)- Pro-Fit in Leesburg.  His shop stocks some hi end boots.

2) Brian Eardley - Alpine ski shop Fairfax location.  (If you opt to go to this store, I recommend you call in advance to make sure Brian is working that day as he is not staffed everyday at the shop)

3) Brian Beaumont - The Ski Shoppe Ltd in Reisterstown, MD.

I went to Brian Eardley at Alpine Ski Shop in Fairfax for my ski boots and custom foot bed.  I found him to be very experienced,  knowledgable, honest and reliable.  He got me a pair of "new old stock" Lange boots and the price was well below my original estimated budget for a pair of decent ski boots.  

Speaking for my own experience, I got my first ski pair boots from an annual sale years ago.  It was one size too large and at that time, I did not realize the importance of well-fitted boots, my knees would hurt after a day of skiing, my feet would feel like swimming while skiing...  

Finally, I decided to get a new pair of ski boots this season.  I have skied with my new ski boots 3 days now and what a difference a well-fitted boots make!  My knees no longer hurt, my feet are snug but not tight, my boots are in much better "contact" with the skis and they  can drive my skis better...

I did shop around and tried on ~ 8 pairs of skis boots in 3 different shops (based on Brian E's recommendation what brand & model I should try) before deciding on Lange boots. It was a bit of pain during the searching process but in the end,  it was time well invested. I found what I need and it did not cost me an arm and leg.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  

jslDC
December 27, 2017
Member since 12/27/2017 🔗
1 posts

Definitely worth getting your boots fit properly.  If any of the Brian’s can’t help you (back when they were at Ski Center, they tried and failed to get me into anything that worked for my feet/calves) check out Daleboots, who do something closer to an actual custom boot - they can mix and match various upper and lower pieces to get something that fits you.  Price isn’t terrible (not much more than good boots + a liner and they include an Intuition liner) and it’s a good excuse for a trip to Salt Lake City to ski out there.

DCD_Ski
December 28, 2017
8 posts

Thank you all for such thorough advice!

I'll provide an update later this season.

miamichillin99
December 30, 2017
Member since 01/25/2013 🔗
19 posts

Can you bring your existing boots to be fitted or do they only fit the boots they sell?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2017 (edited December 30, 2017)
3,246 posts

miamichillin99 wrote:

Can you bring your existing boots to be fitted or do they only fit the boots they sell?

The usual approach is that when a boot fitter sells a pair of boots then there is no separate charge for all adjustments and tweaks, even if that happens a season or two later.  Making adjustments to boots that someone bought elsewhere is charged based on the time required.  Note that if a boot is too big, there is not much that can be done.  Typically that's the issue when someone buys their first pair of boots without a boot fitting.

I had a hot spot punched out during a trip to Utah a while back.  I think the cost was $25.

There are a few boot fitters that only do the fitting and adjustments.  In that case, they recommend what models to try elsewhere and the buyer has to figure out where to make the purchase.  None of the bootfitters listed above work that way.  But any really good boot fitter will not limit the options to what is available in the shop.

crgildart
December 30, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

If you want to go all in on custom boots check out DaleBoots in Salt Lake City.

http://www.daleboot.com/en/

DCD_Ski
March 12, 2018 (edited March 12, 2018)
8 posts

Update: I visited Brian at Pro-Fit a couple of months ago. Great experience. Brian was very patient and diligent in assessing my overall issues and getting me a proper fit. He fit me into a pair of Fischer boots, went through the vacuum-fit process, and built a pair of much-needed custom insoles. I used to always have foot pain when skiing, but not since my visit to Pro-Fit. I’ve skied 7 days in these boots with great performance and comfort.

Scott - DCSki Editor
March 12, 2018
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Brian's the best!  Did you try out the new Inside Ski Training Center next door?  Can that be used as part of a boot fitting to help pick the best boot?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 12, 2018
3,246 posts

Scott wrote:

Brian's the best!  Did you try out the new Inside Ski Training Center next door?  Can that be used as part of a boot fitting to help pick the best boot?

I've done a lesson at Inside Ski.  Would not recommend it for picking boots.  At least not unless someone had already spent quite a bit of time learning how to deal with skiing on a belt.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?