Canaan Valley to Open Gravity
14 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Canaan Valley Resort
December 28, 2017
Member since 11/21/2015 🔗
57 posts

Our most advanced run ”“ Gravity ”“ will open Friday, Dec. 29, in time for the New Year’s weekend. This will bring our number of open trails and runs to 22 and counting. Snowmaking continues on Meadows 1, which will open within the week and will include a temporary terrain park with various features.

Since we’re looking at sustained cold temperatures and a very good chance for more snow on Saturday, conditions are only getting better.

See you on the slopes.

SCWVA
December 28, 2017
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Canaan Valley Resort wrote:

,.....which will open within the week and will include a temporary terrain park with various features.

Will the temp park be open prior to 2018? A temp park seems like a lot of work, why not open the park on the B slope?
fishnski
December 30, 2017 (edited December 30, 2017)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Hello Canaan Valley Resort.....I mentioned your midweek specials on another thread and Ive talked to your ticket window folks about being able to get the locals discount on local day...no luck because I dont have a west virginia Liscense...I would If I could but you can only have 1 in this country and I only spend about 3 months a year at my 2nd home around the corner from your ski area....but my bills dont stop...I employ directly or indirectly many good west virginians...I have spent tons of money in this state...I pay my taxes...
The Ski barn honors me as a local...why dont uall?....Thx in advance...

SCWVA
January 2, 2018
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

CVR,

Thanks for opening The Meadows, Prosperity, and the Dark Side of the Moon on Sunday. Nothing like pow runs to close out 2017.

Why has snowmaking stopped? 

ChmxJoe74 - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2018
Member since 11/28/2015 🔗
20 posts

fishnski wrote:

Hello Canaan Valley Resort.....I mentioned your midweek specials on another thread and Ive talked to your ticket window folks about being able to get the locals discount on local day...no luck because I dont have a west virginia Liscense...I would If I could but you can only have 1 in this country and I only spend about 3 months a year at my 2nd home around the corner from your ski area....but my bills dont stop...I employ directly or indirectly many good west virginians...I have spent tons of money in this state...I pay my taxes...

I wanted to give this post a bump, as I too am a local homeowner (Old Timberline) who spends about 50% of his time in WV. I have a season pass to Timberline, but would be interested in exploring CVR. I too pay WV taxes and utilities (can show bills) but do not have a WV license. Wouldn't a WV Tax, Mortgage, or Utility Receipt with photo ID be acceptable?

Cheers,

Bonzski
January 2, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Your property taxes go to the county, not the state.  I think the point of their discount is for those of us who are WV residents and pay income taxes, a portion of which funds state parks.  Maybe the easiest thing to do is get a WV license?

swimski
January 2, 2018
Member since 09/1/2016 🔗
8 posts

ChmxJoe74 wrote:

fishnski wrote:

I wanted to give this post a bump, as I too am a local homeowner (Old Timberline) who spends about 50% of his time in WV. I have a season pass to Timberline, but would be interested in exploring CVR. I too pay WV taxes and utilities (can show bills) but do not have a WV license. Wouldn't a WV Tax, Mortgage, or Utility Receipt with photo ID be acceptable?

Cheers,

I am also a CV homeowner, and have just come across this discussion. I had called the resort this morning about this question (serendipitously), as the website shows that  "In appreciation of those living in the state of West Virginia (especially our local residents), we invite you to ski or tube at Canaan Valley Resort on Wednesday at the following discount rates. Valid ID is required at time of purchase (homeowners may show proof of ownership to receive the discount offer). "  I was told that a tax bill or utility bill would suffice. Hope this helps.

fishnski
January 2, 2018
3,530 posts
Interesting...ive tried for years now and have been denied everytime...I hope its not a one time deal..every wed is locals day....can we get confirmation?....CVR?
fishnski
January 2, 2018
3,530 posts

SCWVA wrote:

CVR,

Thanks for opening The Meadows, Prosperity, and the Dark Side of the Moon on Sunday. Nothing like pow runs to close out 2017.

Why has snowmaking stopped? 

Add me to that question list..all those O/N trails..(natural snow cover)...will be wiped out with one short meltdown or just a few hours of rain...and you know its coming!
Canaan Valley Resort
January 3, 2018
57 posts

Snowmaking has resumed today, and we are making snow on six trails: B Slope, Upper Ramble, Lower Ramble, Ramble Cutback, Upper Valley Vista, and Easy Does It. 

Canaan Valley Resort
January 3, 2018
57 posts

swimski wrote:

ChmxJoe74 wrote:

fishnski wrote:

Cheers,

I am also a CV homeowner, and have just come across this discussion. I had called the resort this morning about this question (serendipitously), as the website shows that  "In appreciation of those living in the state of West Virginia (especially our local residents), we invite you to ski or tube at Canaan Valley Resort on Wednesday at the following discount rates. Valid ID is required at time of purchase (homeowners may show proof of ownership to receive the discount offer). "  I was told that a tax bill or utility bill would suffice. Hope this helps.

If you live here, you’re a local in our book.

Show us a utility bill, mortgage statement, property tax statement, etc. with a photo ID on Wednesdays, and we will honor the West Virginia residents’ discount.

We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you on the slopes.

fishnski
January 3, 2018
3,530 posts
Thank you so much CVR...Uall are really coming on lately...very refreshing to have uall leading the charge in the very special Valley we call our ski home....
JohnL
January 3, 2018
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

CVR totally rocked this weekend. Pow turns all Sunday long on the natty slopes.

ChmxJoe74 - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2018
Member since 11/28/2015 🔗
20 posts

CVR much appreciated. Keep up the great work!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.