Face up to your face plants.
Home
Where are you skiing next?
26 posts from 12 users
Updated 20 hours ago
Jump to Newest Post
8 days ago

Rather than try to have different threads for a small mumber of people skiing a small number of resorts around here I was thinking a meet up and general goup thread for all might work better on a forum with this volume of traffic..

I’m up for a day trip short session Sunday or Monday.. Wintergreen is top of my list but open to other places less than 4 hours away.  Where’s everyone else skiing this weekend??

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago

Plan is to take my friend and her kids to Massanutten.  Skiing Sat-Tue because the kids have a 4-day weekend.  They all skied blues at Alta last April so I expect to be on Lift 6 after some warm up runs off Lift 5 the first morning.  The boy was skiing black ungroomed at Alta, including powder, so he’ll be enjoying all the bumps on Paradice, MakAttack, and perhaps even the little ones on Geronimo.

White helmet with red ribbon on the back.  Old Scott poles with grey wraparound grips.

8 days ago

Probably going to Bryce on Sunday. They usually have lighter crowds on holiday weekends and it will be my first day on snow this season. Bryce is a good place to warm up and find those ski legs again. 

8 days ago

I’m skiing at Perfect North in Lawrenceburg Indiana (Cincinnati). Why?  Because I live in Cincinnati. I have a toddler, a pregnant wife and demanding job. I haven’t had a day to myself since sometime mid summer. Monday I am taking my son to day care. My wife has to work. And I am going to enjoy a glorious day on all 400 ft of vert.

Momday is also hopslam release day, so I plan to grab a sixer of it on the way to Perfect North. They don’t have a liquor license and have no issue with byob. I can not wait!

6 days ago

We are here at Snowshoe for MLK weekend. Here’s what my crew looks like; 

6 days ago

I will be skiing in Taos, doing their ski week next week.  =) 

6 days ago

fosphenytoin wrote:

Great place.  Tough season they’re having though.  .

6 days ago

Somewhere in Pennsylvania -

If I’m with my oldest, Whitetail. If I’m with a friend, probably Camelback, but possibly Montage or even Blue Knob.

6 days ago

crgildart wrote:

fosphenytoin wrote:

Great place.  Tough season they’re having though.  .

This will be my first time to visit this iconic place.  I am an intermediate.  I figured whatever they don’t have open, I won’t be able to ski those terrains anways, so it’s not gonna make any difference for me.  

6 days ago

I”m thinking the same thing about Bryce but I plan to be there Monday morning when they open. I had thought about Massnut. but Bryce will be less crowded. I live in Luray and it’s raining pretty good right now so hopefully they can make plenty of snow starting tomorrow evening.

5 days ago

I’m going to Wintergreen tomorrow,, At the worst time hahaha.  I’m finding less and less motivation to miss half a night’s sleep to ski before the crazy crowds pack the place.  Hopefully I can get a few laps on Highlands between 11 and 3 then hit the madness at blue ridge express to return to the lodge and my car…  wherever I end up parked since arriving at 11 am-ish will probaby be a horrible parking spot hahahaha!  Sleep in..  get there when I get there.. ski a couple runs while standing in long lift lines.. then head home early.. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 days ago

Sheesh, it certainly was cold this weekend in northern VA.  Stayed in the 20s Sat and Sun all day at Massnutten.  Going to enjoy Monday, which typically is not that busy.

4 days ago

marzNC wrote:

Sheesh, it certainly was cold this weekend in northern VA.  Stayed in the 20s Sat and Sun all day at Massnutten.  Going to enjoy Monday, which typically is not that busy.

Did they make any snow after the rain? How was the trail surface?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 days ago

JohnL wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Did they make any snow after the rain? How was the trail surface?

Oh yeah, lots and lots of snowmaking at Massanutten this weekend.  Including during the day on Sat once it got cold enough in the afternoon.  Pretty much all day and night on Sunday on Showtime and MakAttack, as well as Paradice and DJ.  By the afternoon all the blacks and Upper Showtime were well covered with manmade powder.  The expanded water supply is making quite a difference.

Monday was some of the best conditions ever.  Packed powder, mostly blue sky, in the upper 20s, and no crowds on the blues and blacks. Even the greens weren’t too crowded, which is normal for a holiday Monday at Massanutten.  Especially on a relatively cold day.  The only major slick spots by the afternoon were on Mass Transit and the center of the Upper Showtime head wall.  But it was easy to find good snow at the top of Upper Showtime.  My friend who learned at Mnut as a cautious adult in the last few years skied Upper Showtime for the first time today after doing a 2-hour intermediate clinic.  Her tween daughter skied off Lift 6 for the first time.  It was a perfect day for that type of exploration.

3 days ago

Sounds like Massanutten did a very good job to recover from the rain event. It appeared T-Line and CVR did not make snow to freshen up the surface, but the groomers were skiing fairly well on Sun and Mon. Fun fast skiing. I heard was challenging though.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 days ago

I think the folks at Massanutten are quite happy the cold weather has allowed them to show off the expanded water supply in the last month or so.  Especially since Wintergreen ran out of water before finishing Highlands.  For quite a few years, it was Wintergreen that had the benefit of an extra water supply and 100% automated snow guns.  Mnut has been adding new guns and retrofitting old ones at a steady pace.  The number of big guns, including 1-2 new portable ones, has doubled or tripled in the last few years.

2 days ago

Wintergreen had pretty good yeild out of their arsenal of snow guns.  There was some patches where the wind and traffic scraped down to the refrozen slabs. But, all in all it was pretty good yesterday.  And, NO LINES at Acorn or Highlands..  Blue Ridge was a bit busy but never more than 3 minutes in the singles line..

Next up that I know of will be our first encounter with Winterplace Feb 9th and 10th.  Never really looked interesting for being almost an hour farther than our usual stops but the scout troop has rented a bumk house cabin on the mountain there so we’re in! 

Son’s in the Brain Games playoffs Feb 3rd and next couple weeks we’ll probably be saving some money..  Things got tighter financially this year unfortunately.

2 days ago

Getting a good solid dumping at my house today.  Looks like I’ll get to take the tele rig out to earn some turns around the neighborhood tonight after work..

2 days ago

Won’t be able to take advantage of the current snow in WV today. Will be at Snowshoe Sun thru Tues. I may also try for a half day this Friday at MNut depending how the rest of the work week goes. 

2 days ago

marzNC wrote:

I think the folks at Massanutten are quite happy the cold weather has allowed them to show off the expanded water supply in the last month or so.  Especially since Wintergreen ran out of water before finishing Highlands.  For quite a few years, it was Wintergreen that had the benefit of an extra water supply and 100% automated snow guns.  Mnut has been adding new guns and retrofitting old ones at a steady pace.  The number of big guns, including 1-2 new portable ones, has doubled or tripled in the last few years.

Wintergreen was blasting quite a bit of snow pretty much everywhere Monday.  They should be 100% open this weekend with nice deep base on the main runs to hold up through the next warm spell.

2 days ago

Looks like we will end up with close to a foot here near downtown Durham.  Would have been more if it was dry instead of wet..  Can’t wait for work to be over so I can go touring in it!

yesterday

I have a vacation planned at Wintergreen starting a week from Sunday.  The weather forecast for next week is on the warm side with a little rain :(   Unfortunately, Wintergreen does not allow you to reschedule within 2 weeks of your reservation without keeping your huge deposit.  I shot for the end of January to increase my chances of good conditions…  This will be my first trip to Wintergreen since 1985 (best guess).  I sure do hope the forecast ends up being on the high side.

yesterday

I skied Timberline thru Tuesday and conditions got progressively better.  Tuesday it snowed and added to the surface nicely.  The mountain that was open skied great Tuesday. They appear to be trying to get Twister, The Drop and a couple short connector trails open.  Off the Wall was closed the entire holiday weekend and Tuesday.  White Lightening is about half open width-wise and is quite skinny in depth (it could use a refresh and expansion). 

22 hours ago

I did wind up at Whitetail on Monday. Lots of fresh machine-made snow, but the blues weren’t groomed so it was a little trickier than normal. My 9 year old was with me, so we mostly stuck to the greens. It was crowded and the lines were long, but overall a solid day.

Next up looks like Camelback which I haven’t been too in 8 years. I’m eager to hit Nile Mile.

22 hours ago

Is Twister the last to open at T-line? Granted it I only went once, five years ago, but I really wanted to ski it. Despite Facebook promises that I’d be open, it ever was that day.

20 hours ago

Generally Twister is one of the last trails to open. It is very long and takes a lot of snow resources to open

Ad: Massanutten Resort

Snow reason not to share.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.21 seconds