Music Etiquette
8 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Big E
January 15, 2018
Member since 01/15/2018 🔗
1 posts

We are new to the DC area and have been skiing/riding Whitetail and Liberty this season.  At both we have experienced people playing their music with speakers blaring at levels well beyond a personal listening level.  What is up with this relatively new trend?  Do any of the local mountains have policies in place prohibiting this?

rbrtlav
January 15, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I dont see anything on the websites. That being said if they are playing something with profanity or offensive I would note what they are wearing and tell the lift operator. Otherwise IMO I would rather them be using a speaker than wearing headphones, especially boarders, who have a large blind spot so having headphones in is a safety issue. I have seen speakers in backbacks at Liberty and Whitetail during night sessions as long as I have been skiing there, but generally the music travels at most 4-5 lift chairs and even less distance when moving on the slopes.

Although blaring music for the world may not be the most polite thing to do, ski patrol should be more focused on things pertaining to guest safety than music. 

crgildart
January 16, 2018 (edited January 16, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Ya, at least one of the mountains I ski has a clear policy banning ear buds while skiing/riding for the above mentioned reasons.

dt3
January 16, 2018
Member since 11/15/2009 🔗
24 posts

I personally use one even though I know its kind of a dick move. With that being said I dont use it on crowded days and honestly think 95% I can manage the volume so no one is hearing it but me. If I do end up coming behind you give me break and take notice that i probably am violently scrambling to turn it down until I can pass, get alone, and crank it back up again.

David
January 16, 2018
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I noticed it at Snowshe a few weeks back. People with backpacks and VERY loud speakers with vulgar music blaring. Not the kind of thing I want to be around while I am skiing and DEFINITELY not the kind of thing I want my 6-year old around ever. 

AndyGene
January 16, 2018
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

The foul language doesn't bother me, but the general rudeness does.  Not everyone wants to listen to the same thing as you.  Keep it to yourself.  Yesterday I was subjected to a 20 minute lift line while a guy blasted N'Sync out of a bluetooth speaker he had tethered to his coat.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

David wrote:

I noticed it at Snowshe a few weeks back. People with backpacks and VERY loud speakers with vulgar music blaring. Not the kind of thing I want to be around while I am skiing and DEFINITELY not the kind of thing I want my 6-year old around ever. 

Absolutely agree!  Another example of “me first” rudeness and greed!!

crgildart
January 16, 2018
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Pffft, amateurs!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-KwtKRBUY

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.