Rain tomorrow at all resorts?
21 posts
15 users
3k+ views
NonstopSki
February 9, 2018
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts

Anyone have any recs on skiing Saturday? We were going to go to Whitetail but I'd rather not get caught in the rain. Or if folks have seen more recent weather reports suggesting it won't rain, that's good to know too! 

AndyGene
February 9, 2018
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

I’m at snowshoe this weekend. We probably should have brought paddle boats instead of boards. On the plus side, the slopes will be empty if it rains, right?

AndyGene
February 10, 2018
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

The heavy rain held off today until 2pm. I did about 15 runs down the western territory. Great Spring conditions. I really like that they groom one side of lower shays now. 0 complaints from me. 

wgo
February 10, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Will be there tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the rain will not be too heavy at that time.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Bonzski
February 10, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Widowmaker all morning then Silver Creek in the afternoon til 330.  Snow was surprisingly great. Was happy to get nearly a full day in.

crgildart
February 11, 2018 (edited February 11, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Some of our posse wanted to cancel this weekend trip to WinterPlace when they saw the forecast Thursday night.  No refunds so on with it!.  It seems that every event Trop 461 plans gets rained on.  Didn't stop our scouts.. and yes, the slopes were mostly empty except for about an hour mid day.  We skied our legs off.. and went through 2-3 jackets/gloves each hahaha!

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

crgildart
February 11, 2018 (edited February 11, 2018)
767 posts

I'd be willing to wager that conditions and base depth were better in the rain yesterday than they will be Presiden't Day weekend at all mid atlantic resorts south of PA.

camp
February 11, 2018
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Proximity paid today, and like *dart said, conditions were suprisingly excellent this afternoon at the local.

skinavy
February 12, 2018
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

We stuck around Whitetail till later Sunday- the Sun came out about 4pm, the zero-vis fog lifted, and there was a wonderful 10-15deg temp inversion that made the upper 1/2 of the hill feel like Florida- you felt it shift in a matter of seconds while coming up the lift.  There were about 8 people on the slopes, so all that soft wonderfulness was ours for the taking.  Exhibition was getting bare on skiers right but the icy troughs and backsides had finally softened nicely.  Some folks from the PSIA National team were playing there after their event, was a treat to watch and follow them.

wgo
February 12, 2018
1,666 posts

Got up to snowshoe yesteday afternoon after our scout weekend at the Greenbank Science center. Light rain for the first hour or so, then cleared up afterwards. Snow was OK. Glad we were able to get out for some turns.

Bdw611
February 12, 2018
Member since 02/29/2016 🔗
46 posts

Not to be Johnny Rain cloud, but is anyone else a little nervous with the current 15 day forecast?!?

crgildart
February 12, 2018 (edited February 12, 2018)
767 posts

^^^^^^^^^^

crgildart wrote:

I'd be willing to wager that conditions and base depth were better in the rain yesterday than they will be Presiden't Day weekend at all mid atlantic resorts south of PA.

If the resorts can't or don't make more snow after President's Day weekend they will be all but closed before the end of February. 

mdr227
February 13, 2018
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

Definitely most local ones will close soon after President's Day weekend.   There may be skiable terrain left at them, but just like last Winter once it gets really warm in late Feb it's tough to generate skiier interest for local day trips (those destination places like Snowshoe may fair a bit better).   Just hoping some will stay open long enough that we can get one good snow in early March and have some places to go to for a quick day trip.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 14, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Come on DCSkiers, way too much negativity.  Many local resorts, especially in WV have a great base and the big ones like Snowshoe will make snow in late Feb, or March and make it as far as nature will allow!

Leo
February 14, 2018
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

I skied 7S this Monday and the bottom of some of the main north side runs were already on the cusp of not being skiable.  Grass, rocks and mud with boiler plate in between.  Some runs were OK and had better coverage but not good.

If the 10-day forecast is to be believed, we're in trouble at least at the 3 WPA resorts.  And no, Nutting won't make much snow anywhere even if he can.  Maybe a little at 7S, but that would be it is my guess.

And not to double down on the negativity, but I am sure we'll have a bitter cold April or something like that, once it's too late to matter.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 14, 2018
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

Laurel made snow monday night into tuesday. still all compressors on site. unfortunatly lots of water.

JohnL
February 14, 2018
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Unless you ski Snowshoe, the pessimism is fully warranted. Haven’t been to the Valley the last three weekends; curious to see how deep the trail base really is. And no, I don’t trust what is reported on T-Lines web site. Still, will get some turns in no matter what. 

wgo
February 14, 2018
1,666 posts

JohnL wrote:

Unless you ski Snowshoe, the pessimism is fully warranted. Haven’t been to the Valley the last three weekends; curious to see how deep the trail base really is. And no, I don’t trust what is reported on T-Lines web site. Still, will get some turns in no matter what. 

I would be interested in hearing your report on Valley conditions. And also in seeing if CVR is committed to making snow into March if conditions allow. I am considering a CVR pass instead of a SS pass next year, but don't want to end up at a place that closes in early March during tough seasons. I know that CVR has really stepped up their game recently, so let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

oddballstocks
February 14, 2018
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Heading with the kids to Hidden Valley on Monday. Forecast says 4-5" of snow this weekend, but in the high 40s on Monday.  It could be nice conditions.

Bijan
February 14, 2018
Member since 01/16/2018 🔗
10 posts

I was at CV this past Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a lot of fun and I was pleasantly surprised. Decent conditions and no lines. It rained on the way in from DC but by the time I got there it was clear. I skied from roughly around 11:30 to 4:15. Last half hour or so I started getting pretty wet.

On Sunday I decided to bail (woke up to some heavy rain) but went to the ski area anyway just to see. Couldn't resist so I went out again for a couple of hours. But I got drenched and the conditions were sloppy. Hardly anyone was skiing. There was major deterioration from when I got in on Saturday to when I left on Sunday. There was still stuff to ski and I'm not saying you shouldn't go this weekend. Just giving some first hand perspective from this past weekend.

JohnL
February 15, 2018
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

wgo wrote:

JohnL wrote:

I would be interested in hearing your report on Valley conditions. And also in seeing if CVR is committed to making snow into March if conditions allow. I am considering a CVR pass instead of a SS pass next year, but don't want to end up at a place that closes in early March during tough seasons. I know that CVR has really stepped up their game recently, so let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

Heading down tomorrow am. Lots of trail closures today on T-Line's site; but you know how accurate that site is.

CVR has not been known to make snow in March.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?