Late March/April Trip
6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
rbrtlav
February 18, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm looking at trying to use a few more days off my Max Pass likely the first week (midweek) in April. I'm considering either doing a few days in Vermont at various resorts (Stratton, Killington, Okemo) or maybe flying out to Denver and going to Winter Park for a few days. 

Any suggestions on what would be better that time of the year? I suppose the advantage to Vermont is that it may be easier to cancel if mother nature doesn't cooperate, although I would be flying Southwest so I could always hold the value over to next season if needed.

eggraid
February 19, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

We went to Winter Park last winter, it was a great mountain; I would guess that it would be in better condition in a normal year than Vermont. We went to Vermont (Stratton) in April several years ago, and the conditions were spring-like, but very enjoyable. Parts of the mountain were closed. I'd go Vermont if you want to keep it simple, Colorado if you are looking to roll the dice on hitting something really good.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Depending on what happens the next few weeks, flying to SLC to ski Solitude and Brighton could be pretty fun during late season.  LCC/BCC has been getting pretty good snow from recent storms.  Shouldn't be too hard to find motel lodging in Midvale even during late March or early April.  With Easter being April 1, both of those weeks are school spring break weeks.

dwm8a
February 21, 2018
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts

I'm thinking about trying to plan a trip to Jackson Hole in late March/early April and wonder what the folks here think of that timing. It looks like Jackson has done better than Utah or Colorado this season.

JohnL
February 21, 2018
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

dwm8a wrote:

I'm thinking about trying to plan a trip to Jackson Hole in late March/early April and wonder what the folks here think of that timing. It looks like Jackson has done better than Utah or Colorado this season.

Jackson Hole is not the greatest late winter place. Low base elevation and poor aspect.

The Cottonwood Canyons in Utah and higher elevation CO are a much more reliable bet.

rbrtlav
February 21, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm think going to try flying into Denver and likely doing most of my days at Winter Park. Depending on weather I figure I might buy a ticket for A-Basin, or go to copper. Summit county has had a good febuary with snow, so hopefully that keeps up.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.