4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
March 9, 2018
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

https://www.snowshoemag.com/2012/01/15/gear-review-marquette-backcountry-skis/

Any one played with these before? Might be fun to play with when you cant get to the slopes but there is some snow in the local woods. 

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2018 (edited March 9, 2018)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I have friends in Vermont who love them.  They use them for early and late season on marginal (very) conditions.  These guys are super skiers who log 100+ days per year so they can look good on pretty much anything.  Judge for yourself.  What you see suggests that Marquettes are far more capable than suggested in your link - on the right feet.

https://vimeo.com/35360436 

“I love them because they are tanks” - my friend who posts under “Just-in-woods”

Note that they are heavy.  Chip at Whitegrass knows about them and may rent them.  They have a unique scale pattern said to climb very well.  Edgeless of course but tough.  My friends mount them with tele bindings but I have only seen them ski them with parallel turns.  I have made a pair of “junk boards” by cutting an old wood core snowboard in half lengthwise and mounting tele bindings using T-nuts.  I use parallel turns almost exclusively; they just work better.  Unlike Marquettes they need skins for climbing.  

Reisen
March 9, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Denis wrote:

I have friends in Vermont who love them.  They use them for early and late season on marginal (very) conditions.  These guys are super skiers who log 100+ days per year so they can look good on pretty much anything.  Judge for yourself.  What you see suggests that Marquettes are far more capable than suggested in your link - on the right feet.

https://vimeo.com/35360436 

“I love them because they are tanks” - my friend who posts under “Just-in-woods”

Note that they are heavy.  Chip at Whitegrass knows about them and may rent them.  They have a unique scale pattern said to climb very well.  Edgeless of course but tough.  My friends mount them with tele bindings but I have only seen them ski them with parallel turns.  I have made a pair of “junk boards” by cutting an old wood core snowboard in half lengthwise and mounting tele bindings using T-nuts.  I use parallel turns almost exclusively; they just work better.  Unlike Marquettes they need skins for climbing.  

Denis, that might be my favorite video I've watched all year!  Awesome!

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
March 9, 2018 (edited March 9, 2018)
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

I actaully found them on Amazon but didnt want to post a link from there.  

I was looking at Altai's last year but these seem more tougher. Look like something that if you find a patch of snow anywhere you could ski it on these!

Thank for the insight and great video!! That is what I want to do. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.