23 posts
9 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 8, 2018 (edited June 8, 2018)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Congratulations CAPS!

Nice to see our winter sports brethren climb to the top of the NHL mountain.  I've been a Wash DC area resident since long before the Caps founding in 1974, but I have to confess that I've always been a fair weather Caps fan.  So what?  This is the fairest weather this franchise has ever seen and we all get to enjoy it :-)

After this post season I'm now a believer in that cliché about the Stanley Cup being the hardest championship to win. The NHL playoffs are so looong when you go all the way.  It’s been almost two full months since the playoffs began with that first game loss against Columbus on Apr 12.  We trailed in every playoff series and we clinched every one away from home.  It was very cool to see this team gain confidence after each series and see a gray haired Ovi  mature into a spirited team leader. We had a magical convergence of team chemistry, not the least of which was a huge contribution from supporting players.

superguy
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Aww, Ovenchicken finally got his Cup.  Good for him! :)

Go Pens! :D

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 8, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Very happy for the Caps and their fans.  It was mentioned during the game that it was the 40th anniversary of the Bullets (now Wizards) winning their only NBA title.  The Caps have a resemblance to that team.  Both were veteran squads widely regarded as having little chance because they were past their prime years.  Now, they have climbed the mountain.  Enjoy!

SCWVA
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

superguy wrote:

I guess the Crying Crosby fans are still upset about getting their butts kicked by the CAPS!  :) 

Damn, feels good to be able to finally talk a little trash after all these years of the CAPS getting their butts kicked by the flightless birds!

C-A-P-S....CAPS, CAPS, CAPS! 

#ALLCAPS

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
June 8, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

SCWVA wrote:

superguy wrote:

I guess the Crying Crosby fans are still upset about getting their butts kicked by the CAPS!  :) 

Damn, feels good to be able to finally talk a little trash after all these years of the CAPS getting their butts kicked by the flightless birds!

#ALLCAPS

Enjoy the trash talk, it won't last too long. I would have loved to see an expansion team stick a fork into the Caps and kept them in their place but I guess puck luck found the Caps, at last. :duck:

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
June 8, 2018
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

superguy wrote:

#ALLCAPS

Enjoy the trash talk, it won't last too long. I would have loved to see an expansion team stick a fork into the Caps and kept them in their place but I guess puck luck found the Caps, at last. :duck:

Typical P'burger. The world doesn't always orbit the black and gold. Maybe next year, youinz!

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2018 (edited June 9, 2018)
2,337 posts

Penguin fans, you are sounding like entitled yankee fans.  BTW, this is not a compliment.

June 9, 2018
2,038 posts

Hey all, just having some smack talk fun. Congrats to the Caps and their fans, enjoy the victory. Go to the parade and enjoy the civic unity. The Caps played a great series. Ovie really was something to watch. As good as he has been I think that he took his play and leadership to another level. 

June 9, 2018
2,038 posts

Denis wrote:

Penguin fans, you are sounding like entitled yankee fans.  BTW, this is not a compliment.

Well at least you didn't accuse us of sounding like entitled Patriots fans. ogwink

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2018
2,337 posts

Caps fans are disappointing me.  Barely 100 views.  Where is JohnL?

rbrtlav
June 9, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Denis wrote:

I'm watching the thread, enjoying the moment (and trash talk :) ).

Still hard to believe, but Thursday night was an absolute blast and the congrats prior to today's Nats game was fun to watch. OV even got a mulligan after he threw the first pitch WAY over the head of Screech.

GO CAPS!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Huge Pens fan here but hats off to the Caps.  It's hard as hell to win that cup so congrats Ovie and Crew.  Holtby was outstanding.

Enjoy the victory .... but like my Dad used to say when I scored a TD, act like you've been there before.

SCWVA
June 11, 2018 (edited June 11, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Denis wrote:

Denis, I got you covered. My daughter drove in from Morgantown last week to attend Thursday's viewing party in DC with her friends. My oldest son attended the viewing party with his friends as well.

I'll be sporting my new Caps Stanley Cup Championship shirt in enemy territory for the foreseeable future.

JohnL plays hockey and is a fan of hockey, but I don't believe he's a Caps fan. :(

Anyone going to the parade?

JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 11, 2018
2,964 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Anyone going to the parade?

I might ride my bike to it.

June 11, 2018
2,038 posts

JohnL is a Caps fan but he has been quiet all season. 

superguy
June 12, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

LOL.  Same argument as with the Steelers ... How many Yinz got? :D

superguy
June 12, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Hey all, just having some smack talk fun. Congrats to the Caps and their fans, enjoy the victory. Go to the parade and enjoy the civic unity. The Caps played a great series. Ovie really was something to watch. As good as he has been I think that he took his play and leadership to another level. 

Exactly.  Some people can't have a little fun.  It's all good though.  I'm glad they got their first.

I have a lot of fun with the trash talk for football, given that I'm a Steelers fan in Ravens country. :D

JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 12, 2018 (edited June 12, 2018)
2,964 posts

Huge crowd 100-150k?  Gorgeous weather. Constitution Ave was rocking the red.Ovi with Cup, owner Ted Leonsis in blue suit

The Mall was packed.  Ovi took one look at the throng and said, "this is nuts, you guys keeling it!"

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
June 12, 2018
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Super guy - being a Raven's fan in Steeler's country has been fun. Raven's fans need to come up with something as obnoxious as the famous "terrible towel". I have developed many friends at HV who are avid Steeler fans. We have parties to watch the Steeler-Ravens games which are always great games. We have many good laughs with the trash talk. While only exceeded by Boston in parochialness, Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, similar in many ways to Baltimore, except the 'Burgh' is safer. The cultural institutions in Pittsburgh are top notch. The 'Burgh' is one reason I chose to buy my ski home in the Laurels instead of out in the boondocks of WV. I can ski in the morning and see a Broadway play in the 'Burgh' in the evening. Not a bad combo. That said....Go Ravens!

crgildart
June 18, 2018
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Now they need a new coach.. 

June 18, 2018
2,038 posts

Trotz resigned??? 

rbrtlav
June 18, 2018 (edited June 18, 2018)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Trotz was granted a 2 year extension after winning the cup... but it was well below market value. That being said I don't think we will be looking for a head coach for very long.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/18/todd-reirden-is-very-likely-to-be-the-next-coach-of-the-washington-capitals/

JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 19, 2018
2,964 posts

First we mismanage the Kirk Cousins situation, now the same with Barry Trotz.  I guess Bryce Harper is next.  You who root for stable, well run sports franchises - don't take them for granted! 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?