kwillg6
June 24, 2018
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
kwillg6
June 24, 2018
2,066 posts

I wanted to let you all know that we have begun the process of creating the first snow sports museum south of the Mason/Dixon in the Canaan Valley area or Davis WV.  This was where the SCWDC first operated a ski are called "Driftland" on what is known as Cabin Mountain just south of the existing Weiss Knob or Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area.  I will post more as we announce our events for publicity and fundraising.  

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
June 25, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Good luck with your efforts. I'll be a visitor when it opens.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 25, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

What a wonderful idea!  Anything we as individual skiers, or ski club, do to facilitate this effort?

teleman
June 27, 2018
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Timberline may become eligible for your museum very soon......

kwillg6 wrote:

I wanted to let you all know that we have begun the process of creating the first snow sports museum south of the Mason/Dixon in the Canaan Valley area or Davis WV.  This was where the SCWDC first operated a ski are called "Driftland" on what is known as Cabin Mountain just south of the existing Weiss Knob or Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area.  I will post more as we announce our events for publicity and fundraising.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 28, 2018
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

I really really really hate to say this but if you want to have a successful museum then I would put it at Snowshoe.   If you want one in that area i would try to put it in BWF state park  (better).  Bottom line go where the proople are..    Either way I will visit.  

kwillg6
June 28, 2018
2,066 posts

The idea is to put in as close a proximity as possible to the original ski area.  Snowshoe was circa 1972 a full 20 years after Cabin Mountain.  Doc Bingham had a good idea in bankrolling the shoe but it's not as significant in skiing  history as was Canaan Valley.  The museum will include all ski areas in WV and we are planning to add board members representing them in the future.  

June 29, 2018
925 posts

yeah yeah we we've all read the history.  Vail is not the birthplace of American skiing and not the location of Camp Hale. but it has the musiems - because it has the tourists.   What are you thinking about funding ?

chaga
June 29, 2018
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

A cool place could be where Blackwater Bikes is currently located in Davis. They are building a new shop across the street soon, and that store front will be open to lease. High tourist traffic area for sure in downtown Davis. 

here is a classic Driftland video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrwlYpKMLa8

-

jimmy
June 29, 2018 (edited June 29, 2018)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

pagamony wrote:

yeah yeah we we've all read the history.  Vail is not the birthplace of American skiing and not the location of Camp Hale. but it has the musiems - because it has the tourists.   What are you thinking about funding ?

Snowshoe might have more traffic in the winter but seriously Tucker County is a busy 3-1/2 season tourist destination, plus there are two lost ski areas. 

June 29, 2018 (edited June 29, 2018)
925 posts

ok, fine.  I did write or BWF.     Will someone put a historical maker in front of Timberline ?

jimmy
June 29, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

I knew you would relent. Wonder what the historical marker should say? Maybe a monument would be more appropriate?

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 29, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

chaga wrote:

A cool place could be where Blackwater Bikes is currently located in Davis. They are building a new shop across the street soon, and that store front will be open to lease. High tourist traffic area for sure in downtown Davis. 

here is a classic Driftland video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrwlYpKMLa8 

”˜Thanks for posting.  That video brings back a flood of memories of learning to ski in New England in the 1950s.  It was not easy with the equipment of the day and no grooming or snowmaking.  It was amazing fun and you learned to laugh when falling, as well.

-

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?