Canaan Valley Resort
14 posts
11 users
4k+ views
SCWVA
October 9, 2018 (edited October 9, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Has anyone heard anything skiing related out of Canaan Valley Resort?

Did they install the power needed for the brand new fan powered snowguns that sat in the parking lot all last winter?

Did they replace the pump so that the can pump more water out of the Blackwater for snowmaking?

Will they be open for skiing and riding for more than two months this season?

Will they allow uphill travel this season?

Enquiring minds want to know if CVR is going to step up their game.
jimmy
October 10, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

They plan to open on December 15. That's all I know.

kwillg6
October 10, 2018 (edited October 10, 2018)
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Did they install the power needed for the brand new fan powered snowguns that sat in the parking lot all last winter?

Did they replace the pump so that the can pump more water out of the Blackwater for snowmaking?

I'm not sure of the answer to any of your questions.  However, if it takes money, I doubt if it was done.   Decisions regarding snowmaking are made in South Dakota. It's a bottom line issue and will be as it was last season.  We've been waiting since early May to have the roof on the Pro shop at the golf course replaced after wind/storm damage.

As far as uphill goes, that discussion is on the table.  Why it became a problem last season, to my understanding, was free heelers droping in on unopen trails, after/before hours and interfering with groomers and grooming.  I was also told that due to that, it bacame a liability issue for the resort.  I'm sure some compromise can be reached between patrol, mountain management and the uphillers.  The close proximity to White Grass is another issue dueto the interconnecting trail system.  We'll see. 

As far as stepping up their game, we better pray for lots of natural snow, and the loosening of the purse strings for snow making and hiring. 

chaga
October 10, 2018
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

I would GLADLY pay $100 per year and sign a liability waiver to be able to ski at the state park after hours and only during the week, even if on designated slopes and until designated times, like until 8pm, etc. I could care less about skiing uphill during the day since I work full time, and I wouldn't even want to during open hours anyway with a bunch of people sking down at the same time. 

kwillg6 wrote:

As far as uphill goes, that discussion is on the table.  Why it became a problem last season, to my understanding, was free heelers droping in on unopen trails, after/before hours and interfering with groomers and grooming.  I was also told that due to that, it bacame a liability issue for the resort.  

fishnski
October 10, 2018
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

My biggest fear is sitting in my Rockin Chair and observing a Rocking Valley thats the Jewell of the mid atlantc and SE...At least my home up there will pay for my daily ass whipes....

jimmy
November 4, 2018 (edited November 4, 2018)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Well I was over there yesterday. Snow guns are in place hooked up and ready to blow. Mountain manager told us he has one leak to repair and they will start making snow as soon as it is cold enough. He has instructions to continue making snow whenever it is cold enough. Opening day is still December 15. They are planning for a busy season. 

crgildart
November 4, 2018
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

jimmy wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Well I was over there yesterday. Snow guns are in place hooked up and ready to blow. Mountain manager told us he has one leak to repair and they will start making snow as soon as it is cold enough. He has instructions to continue making snow whenever it is cold enough. Opening day is still December 15. They are planning for a busy season. 

We need to check out Canan.  Next time we're up that way I'm going to try harder to make that happen.

kwillg6
November 4, 2018
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Fun mountain.  Much funner when there's a 12" or more pow-pow dump. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Even more “funner” with loads of natural snow!  Speaking of natural snow and the connecting of the “parking lot” snow guns from last year: were they connected on existing snowmaking covered trails, or were they placed on some of the excellent trails not here before covered by snowmaking?

MorganB

aka The Colonel

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 5, 2018
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

I missed out on buying an early pass but plan to ski 6-8 days at CV if Timberline does not open and at least two days if Timberline opens. I will be buying full price window tickets unless I can find some alternative deal. I suspect many Timberline refugees will be doing the same. This kind of spillover can’t hurt and will encourage the mountain to make as much snow as possible. In addition to snowmaking, I hope the resort’s food services can up their game some. 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 5, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

johnfmh wrote:

I missed out on buying an early pass but plan to ski 6-8 days at CV if Timberline does not open and at least two days if Timberline opens. I will be buying full price window tickets unless I can find some alternative deal. I suspect many Timberline refugees will be doing the same. This kind of spillover can’t hurt and will encourage the mountain to make as much snow as possible. In addition to snowmaking, I hope the resort’s food services can up their game some.

Check this link out for CVR discounts:  https://www.canaanresort.com/ski-winter-activities/skiing-snowboarding/ski-deals-promotions/

If you can ski on weekdays there are many opportunties (Food Bank Mondays, BOGO Tuesdays, WV Wednesdays, snowday Fridays, etc) to ski for about $15-20 per day.

snapdragon
November 14, 2018
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

CVR...blowing hard!!!

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2018 (edited November 14, 2018)
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Good news ... does that mean they may move their opening date?  have they in the past?  Dec. 15 seems ridiculously late, I intend to be skiing T-line by then

snapdragon
November 14, 2018
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

The absolute best you can hope for on 12/15 is that they were able to open to the top

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.