No one forgets their first or last resort.
Home
Peak Resorts Purchase of Snowtime and Your Purse/Wallet
11 posts from 9 users
Updated 11 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
18 days ago

With the purchase of Snowtime by Peak Resorts, I’m sure many of us are curious (worried) about potential and significant cost increases in the future if we’d still like to just get season passes to our local resorts. 

The Peak Pass (currently running for $1029 for adults and $799 for kids to age 17) is more pricey than the Ikon Base Pass (currently running $749 for adults/$449 ages 5-12/$629 ages 13-17) which gives you similar (if not more) access in the NE with the added benefit of options in the West and Canada (36 destinations total). I list Ikon here over the similar Epic Pass, as Ikon includes unlimited skiing at Snowshoe Mountain, WV.

Currently, for a family of four, the cost for season passes at Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail is $1576 ($469 for the first pass, $369 each for the 3 additional passes).

The early purchase of the comparable Peak Pass “Explorer” was $829 for each adult over the age of 30, $599 for each child aged 7-17.  So the cost for a family of four with 2 kids in that age range would total $2856—a $1280/80% cost increase.  If you purchase the Peak Pass now, it’s $1029 per adult, $799 per child. For a family of four, that’s $3656 (yowzer).

The concern for my family is that locally, we ski Whitetail almost exclusively each season, with a 5 day trip out West we try to plan.  The added benefit of NE skiing under the Peak Pass just isn’t that valuable to us.  I’d rather hop on a plane to CO/UT than fly to VT/NH (or avoid driving 10 hours). The Peak Pass option for kids is not much of a discount.  And the odd Peak Pass “Drifter” is highly discounted for those aged 18-29 (I get a college-aged discount, but to age 29?).  Why not give families with kids a similar break?

Anyhow, here’s me hoping that Peak Resorts keeps the dedicated/local Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail Season Passes available at a similar price point in coming years, so that we don’t have to decide whether to purchase Peak Passes at an 80% cost increase for other resorts we likely won’t ski.  Or at least allow a stand-alone season pass option at Liberty or Roundtop or Whitetail.

Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop Family Pass: $469 First Skier/$369 each additional (Through October 31, then $579 first skier/$479 each additional):

http://skiwhitetail.com/2018-2019-season-pass

Peak Pass Explorer Early Season price: $829 Adult/$599 Children if Purchased Early ($1029 Adult/$799 Child if purchased currently as of the date of this post):

https://www.peakpass.com/?_ga=2.228362909.1828859465.1540481349-1573992940.1540481349

Ikon Base Pass $749/$449 5-12/$629 13-17 ($699 per adult with similar discounts for children if you bought early season).  Unlimited skiing at Snowshoe, WV:

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/compare-the-ikon-passes

18 days ago

Not to take away from your point about costs, which is well-taken, but it doesn’t take 14 hours to drive to Vermont.  Maryland suburbs to Magic is under 8 hours, and Mad River is 9 hours.  Those are nonstop times, though, which is hard to do with smaller kids, and southern Vermont rolls up the sidewalks and locks the doors before 9 pm.

18 days ago

Duly noted. I’ll amend to 10 as I’m in VA. 

17 days ago

So even if they do force Snowtime to the Peak Pass it may not be that bad.

http://ir.peakresorts.com/File/Index?KeyFile=392491250

16 days ago

Perhaps my move to Incline Village was the equivalent of “downsizing” ski-wise but then again i just purchased my full-time season pass to Diamond Peak (the mom-and-pop ski resort I live across from) and it is $319.00 a person with no blackout dates and 4 free tickets each to Homewood, one of the places Connie Lawn so loved (and I recommend as a “best bang for the buck” - ahem no intended reference to Bunny Ranch).

I guess Lib/Rt/Wt are the only game n town but still the price is pretty good considering Deer Valley passes are now $2,365 per person and Epic Local in Tahoe is still an amazingly low $709 . Yes Lib/Rt/Wt  are small but you are plugging into a pretty good mid-Atlantic system.iI hope sometime i can ski them again they always made me feel good.

Oh i forgot! We are going to Truckee to see a showing of the Blizzard Of Ahhhs (host by Robbie Huntoon !!) and Greg Stump will be there for the after-party/ Q/A !!! What questions do you think I should ask?!?!??! I always loved P-Tex, Lies and Duct Tape …

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blizzard-of-aahhhs-30th-anniversary-truckee-tickets-50710403181

E-

16 days ago

Crush wrote:

Perhaps my move to Incline Village was the equivalent of “downsizing” ski-wise but then again i just purchased my full-time season pass to Diamond Peak (the mom-and-pop ski resort I live across from) and it is $319.00 a person with no blackout dates and 4 free tickets each to Homewood, one of the places Connie Lawn so loved (and I recommend as a “best bang for the buck” - ahem no intended reference to Bunny Ranch).

I guess Lib/Rt/Wt are the only game n town but still the price is pretty good considering Deer Valley passes are now $2,365 per person and Epic Local in Tahoe is still an amazingly low $709 . Yes Lib/Rt/Wt  are small but you are plugging into a pretty good mid-Atlantic system.iI hope sometime i can ski them again they always made me feel good.

Oh i forgot! We are going to Truckee to see a showing of the Blizzard Of Ahhhs (host by Robbie Huntoon !!) and Greg Stump will be there for the after-party/ Q/A !!! What questions do you think I should ask?!?!??! I always loved P-Tex, Lies and Duct Tape …

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blizzard-of-aahhhs-30th-anniversary-truckee-tickets-50710403181

E-

Who lived life larger, Harkin Banks or Glen Plake?

J-

16 days ago
“Who lived life larger, Harkin Banks or Glen Plake?”….. They are lightweights compared to the great DC Skier…JOHNL..!!!….Thx for all your Quality posts over the years Budro….keep on gettin it!
16 days ago

fishnski wrote:

“Who lived life larger, Harkin Banks or Glen Plake?”….. They are lightweights compared to the great DC Skier…JOHNL..!!!….Thx for all your Quality posts over the years Budro….keep on gettin it!

I am not in the same league as the legendary Andy whose likeness stands at the deepest part of MPC! Those were some good times brudda. 

15 days ago

Good question.  I’ve had a Snowtime season’s pass or discount card for the past decade.  Always saved money on the deal, and I continue to admire the way Snowtime ran their 3 resorts.

I took good advantage of the Mountains of Distinction opportunities that provided a half-price weekday ticket at resorts including Seven Springs, Wintergreen and places further afield such as Wachusett and Okemo.  This was a benefit for Snowtime passholders … the operative word being “was,” unfortunately.

This year, for the first time, I bought the Snowtime senior midweek pass for, I think $199.  Nice deal!

I think I’m going to lose out financially in at least two different ways because of the sale of the Snowtme resorts to Peak.  About a week ago, I received a phone call from Whitetail asking me if I’d like to upgrade to the Peak Resorts pass.  The price was appealing, but I don’t see much (if any) travel to the Northeast this season.  I asked if the Mountains of Distinction benefit - that was advertised when I bought the Snowtime 2018-19 pass in March 2018 - would be in effect this season.  The answer was no.

Does Peak Resorts offer a senior pass?  I don’t see one advertised.  Will they in 2019-20?  Seems unlikely.

Will Peak Resorts offer a separate pass for the Snowtime resorts in 2019-20?  At a price comparable to 2018-19 and previous years?  We don’t know yet.

So, color me disappointed, and skeptical.

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
13 days ago

Happened to catch Scott’s article about Liberty from Oct. 19.  He noted the midweek pass for 65+ for $199 that’s good at Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop, with the option to upgrade to a Peak Pass for another $129.  The deadline at early season rates is Oct. 31, 2018.

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1558

11 days ago

Crush wrote:

E-

Just curious - how does Diamond Peak compare to Homewood?  Last time I was in Tahoe, I only had 1 day to ski and I picked Homewood.  I had a blast - caught it on a great snow day and there were no lines. Love the smaller/off-the-beaten-path type of resort.

Ad: The Highlands Package

Snowcat got your tongue?
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.21 seconds