Of adjectives and altitudes.
Home
Massanutten 2018-19
26 posts from 5 users
Updated 4 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
28 days ago

If the temps would just get a little colder, the slopes at Massanutten could open by early December with all the improvements made to the snowmaking infrastructure in the last couple years.  With the pipeline from the valley complete and many more automated snowguns, 2-3 days of cold days that allow 24-hr snowmaking can be enough.  There was a trace of snow yesterday before changing to rain.

Per usual the Special Value Pass is the best deal for $235 and the only time not included is Saturdays 9:00-4:00.  Sundays and every night session is included.  Until Dec. 1, the Full Season Pass that is usually $450 for adults and $375 for children is on sale for 10% off.  That’s a first for folks who aren’t timeshare owners as far as I know.  Break even is around 7 days assuming go at least a weekend or two.

Demo Weekend with a demo tent by the Freestyle ski shop in Charlottesville is Jan. 12-13.  I plan to be there with a few friends.

http://www.dcski.com/forum/90915 - Massanutten 2017-18, including a few photos

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
13 days ago

As of Nov. 30, Massanutten is thinking that the slopes can be open on Dec. 8.  Already had snow tubing open for Thanksgiving weekend.

13 days ago

Thanks for the information, I was hoping they would open Friday.  Any word on Wintergreen yet?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
13 days ago

kemperski wrote:

Thanks for the information, I was hoping they would open Friday.  Any word on Wintergreen yet?

I know Wintergreen did a little snowmaking but haven’t heard a peep about their target date to open.  I would guess Wintergreen would also try to open before Dec. 14.

Massanutten is pushing harder this season.  Even had a Black Friday sale for discounted lift tickets.  That’s a first.  Also new that lift tickets can be purchased online.  Still have to go to a ticket window though.

9 days ago

I have Monday off and am thinking of taking a snow day if they have the black diamonds open. I’ve only been once, but I really liked it.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago

Massanutten is running a couple lifts for season passholders on Fri, Dec. 7.  Based on the email I got yesterday, DJ and Southern Comfort will be open starting Dec. 8.  They are hoping for Lower Showtime too.

The big fan guns at the base were blowing full blast last night.  With all the automation, a lot more snowmaking going on with the lights off at night.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago

wfyurasko wrote:

I have Monday off and am thinking of taking a snow day if they have the black diamonds open. I’ve only been once, but I really liked it.

Nice trip report!

FYI, the Mid-Mountain Grill is run by parents of the ski/snowboard teams for fundraising.  So only open on weekends mid-season.  Really nice when it’s warm and can enjoy sitting on the deck.  Makes staying on the upper mountain and using the porta-potties worthwhile to avoid the lodge and waiting in line for a base lift after a break.

8 days ago

marzNC wrote:

FYI, the Mid-Mountain Grill is run by parents of the ski/snowboard teams for fundraising.  So only open on weekends mid-season.  Really nice when it’s warm and can enjoy sitting on the deck.  Makes staying on the upper mountain and using the porta-potties worthwhile to avoid the lodge and waiting in line for a base lift after a break.

That made a big difference the day I was there — didn’t even go in the lodge at all because of the Mid-Mountain Grill. 

Glad that you liked my recap. Putting those together are almost as fun as skiing.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago

wfyurasko wrote:

marzNC wrote:

That made a big difference the day I was there — didn’t even go in the lodge at all because of the Mid-Mountain Grill. 

Glad that you liked my recap. Putting those together are almost as fun as skiing.

Now that the ski school is no longer using the lower floor of the main lodge, it doesn’t get quite as crazy.  Consider that is was built in the 1970s, it’s done pretty well.  The umbrella bar on the expanded deck is really nice.  The food has also improved in recent years.  Still resort food but having the smoker for BBQ pork is a nice addition.

I’ve been skiing at Massanutten since 2004.  The major capital improvements started around 2006, with the big money being spent after 2012.  Has made it that much more fun to be able to ski MidA black trails with no lift line on weekends off Lift 6.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago

Snowed at Massanutten!  Definitely going to be open daily after Dec. 8.

December 6, 2018 - Mother nature helped the snowmakers out yesterday by dropping 2” of snow on the mountain. The forecast throughout the rest of the week looks to be productive for continued snow making! 

We will open the Ski Slopes and Snow Tubing for the 2018-2019 season on Saturday, December 8 from 9 am - 5 pm. The Ski Slopes will be open December 8 - 13 from 9 am - 5 pm. Early season rates are in effect through Friday, December 14. Regular Season rates begin Saturday, December 15. 

As an added bonus, Massanutten Ski Season Pass holders can get a jump start on the season with our special Pass Holder appreciation day on Friday, December 7 from 12 - 4 pm. The ticket windows, rental shop, and lessons will not be available. 

7 days ago

Are they getting bombed Sunday like Boone is?  Forecast 14”-20” Sunday in to Monday.  I’ll be home making chili and playing around in the few inches we get here.  But, if I were motivated more I’d be heading up mid day Sunday shooting for first chair Monday.  Post some photos if you get it up there..

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago

crgildart wrote:

Are they getting bombed Sunday like Boone is?  Forecast 14”-20” Sunday in to Monday.  I’ll be home making chili and playing around in the few inches we get here.  But, if I were motivated more I’d be heading up mid day Sunday shooting for first chair Monday.  Post some photos if you get it up there..

Not according to the forecast as of today.  Some chance of snow starting on Sunday but not expecting a blizzard.

I’m actually driving much farther north and east this weekend.  Have a dinner date with my daughter near Boston on Sunday before I do some skiing in NH/ME.  Will be driving her home for winter break the following week.  Taking advantage of her last year in school in New England to check out some more northeast skiing.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago

If anyone is going to ski Massanutten on opening day, 12/8, I’m planning on stopping by for a look on my way north.  Hoping to get to Mnut around lunch time.  I have a couple friends who are locals who will definitely be out enjoying DJ.

6 days ago

marzNC wrote:

If anyone is going to ski Massanutten on opening day, 12/8, I’m planning on stopping by for a look on my way north.  Hoping to get to Mnut around lunch time.  I have a couple friends who are locals who will definitely be out enjoying DJ.

I may be there is I can’t get to snowshoe this weekend. But I will probably be leaving around lunch time.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
6 days ago

As of 8pm on 12/7, all the snowguns near the base of Massanutten are going full blast.  They were blowing snow tubing by 7pm.  I assume plenty of snowmaking in progress on DJ and Lower Showtime too.  The dewpoint mid-mountain is in the 20s.  :-)

6 days ago

Are they going to get Paradice and the blues open? I’m all ready to take a snow day on Monday, but I’m not making the trip if they can’t get more open…

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
6 days ago

wfyurasko wrote:

Are they going to get Paradice and the blues open? I’m all ready to take a snow day on Monday, but I’m not making the trip if they can’t get more open…

The standard sequence is to get DJ and Southern Comfort open first, then Lower Showtime.  Next comes Upper Showtime and Geronimo.  Geronimo gets a lot of sun, but it’s important for the holidays for beginners, especially snowboarders.  Southern Comfort doesn’t have enough pitch for teaching snowboarding to beginners who have mastered the basics in the teaching area off the magic carpet.  Paradice has to come later because it takes a lot of snow given that it’s a long and wide trail.  What’s different after the water pipe was built in 2017 is that there are no worries about running out of water.  So if there is a longer cold spell, snowmaking can just keep cranking.

Only need a base of about 10-15 inches, but think about how much snow is needed to get that depth over an entire trail as wide as Showtime.  What’s harder to know is how many extra hours of snowmaking has been possible on the upper mountain when it was a little too warm at the base.  The webcams are all at the base.

Daily updates for snow conditions and trail openings are usually posted by 8am or so on the Mnut website.  Being open before mid-Dec is an exception looking back at the last few years.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
6 days ago

Blowing snow at 8am on 12/8.  Only DJ and Paradice.  Probably because then can keep full blast snowmaking on Showtime without getting any complaints from intermediates about having to ski with snow guns on.  They can go snow tubing instead today and hopefully ski on Lower Showtime tomorrow with guns off of only on along the side.  It’s 20 degrees right now. :-)

6 days ago
Thanks for the update. Will not be there today, hoping for Monday AM
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
5 days ago

Lower Showtime should be open on Sun.  Hard to say about Upper Showtime before the middle of next week.

I stopped by and had lunch with a friend at Mnut on my way north today.  She and a couple of my friends who have season passes skied Mnut for a few hours this morning.  Overall good for early, early season.  A few icy spots on DJ, but that’s pretty normal when Paradice isn’t open yet.

The only food options were the bar and Base Camp (umbrella bar).  The cafeteria wasn’t open.  Thinned out a lot after about 1pm in any case.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
5 days ago

Update say Lower Showtime is open. It’s going to snow a bit today at Massanutten.  Although more snow at my house.  One reason I drove north into PA yesterday instead my original plan that called for leaving on Monday.  :-)

December 9, 2018 - Winter Weather Advisory today, forecasted snow totals are in the 1-3” or 2-4” range. Lift #5 and Lower Showtime open today, snowmaking will be in progress today as temperatures permit. Snow Tubing will be open today from 9:00am - 5:00pm.         

The Ski Slopes will be open December 9 - 13 from 9 am - 5 pm. Early season rates are in effect through Friday, December 14. Regular Season rates begin Saturday, December 15. 

5 days ago

Any hope for Paradice being open tomorrow? It isn’t open as of right now (Sunday morning). I just can’t see making the trip tomorrow if I can’t ski both DJ and Paradice.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 days ago

wfyurasko wrote:

Any hope for Paradice being open tomorrow? It isn’t open as of right now (Sunday morning). I just can’t see making the trip tomorrow if I can’t ski both DJ and Paradice.

Nope, Paradice won’t be open.  Just can’t be done in essentially the first week of snowmaking.  Agree that it’s probably not worth the drive from DC for a day trip.  My friends who are locals and have season passes only skied for 2-3 hours before calling it a day.  Not that unusual for those who live <1 hour away.  But also true for a friend who drives almost 90 min one-way.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 days ago

Started snowing steadily at Massanutten on Sunday afternoon.  I bet people are hoping that Upper Showtime can get open.

December 9, 2018 - 4:20 Update: We’ve recieved 3”+ at base and Patrol is reporting 5” new snow at the top of the hill. Looking at the radar it doesn’t look it’s going to quit anytime soon! We’ll be open tomorrow with fantastic early season conditions from 9:00am - 5:00pm for skiing and riding and 12:00pm - 8:00pm for snow tubing.    

4 days ago

We definittely received more in central virginia than expected. I guess the ridge that was supposed to keep the storm south of us was actually further north than expected. Based on driving around Charlottesville early afternoon I think people were caught off guard, lots of non-AWD cars struggling to make it up hills.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 days ago

wgo wrote:

We definittely received more in central virginia than expected. I guess the ridge that was supposed to keep the storm south of us was actually further north than expected. Based on driving around Charlottesville early afternoon I think people were caught off guard, lots of non-AWD cars struggling to make it up hills.

I noticed that US29 was treated on Friday as I drove up to Mnut on Saturday morning.  But didn’t noticed anything on I-81 north of I-64.  The VA511 map had a lot of yellow and red earlier this evening.  Saw that Whitetop Mountain got almost 2 feet.

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Speak truth to powder.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.21 seconds