Hidden Valley
11 posts
7 users
3k+ views
HVdad
December 7, 2018
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
94 posts

Though I'm certainly biased, and notwithstanding its limited terrain and modest vertical, Hidden Valley seems to get little or no respect from this website for its prolific snowmaking and professional grooming. While many mid-Atlantic resorts are hastily shuffling snow machines, praying for low pressure system (or foriegn investor), or sitting idle until 14 December, HV is "on it" and open (weekends, at least). 

HVdad
December 7, 2018
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
94 posts

HVdad wrote:

Though I'm certainly biased, and notwithstanding its limited terrain and modest vertical, Hidden Valley seems to get little or no respect from this website for its prolific snowmaking and professional grooming. While many mid-Atlantic resorts are hastily shuffling snow machines, praying for low pressure system (or foriegn investor), or sitting idle until 14 December, HV is "on it" and open (weekends, at least). 

camp
December 7, 2018
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

I spend a couple weekends there visiting friends most years for many years now. We're usually there on the big holiday weekends and it's usually uncrowded and well groomed. Always good despite the lack of vert. Even some fun marked and unmarked trees. I think HV gets a lot less bashing here than many other locals. I think it doesn't do anything to make us mad, so it hardly gets discussed. I have come to appreciate it and it's even a consideration for a day tip tomorrow - because they're open. Gotta hand that to them - and to Bryce, which has a whole 'nother 100' of vertical and also doesn't get much press here.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I think Hidden Valley has gotten a lot of kudos for their great snowmaking. I spent a lot of time there as I was learning the sport and then again when I started a family and introduced my kids to the sport. This is the niche that Hidden Valley fills, safe for aspiring intermediates of all ages. Once my skill set out grew the area I moved on to greater challenge, as did my children. No rap on HV but once one gains some skills and wishes to continue on the curve it is only natural to move on to 7 Springs, Laurel Mountain, or Blue Knob. That is the natural progression. If you and your wife are dedicated skiers and want to raise your children to be dedicated skiers then Hidden Valley is the best place to get them started.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2018
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

While HV may not be the most challenging mountain, the snow making is some of the best in the area. Additionally, 7S, Laurel Mtn, Blue Knob and Wisp are close by. Thus, I can easily ski 5 ski resorts. I ski 3 of these on my Highlands Pass and I ski once at Wisp for free and other times are 1/2 price on my pass. However, what really makes HV is the master planned community. Nice architecture, walking trails, ponds, swimming pools, the mountain top golf course and the community is surrounded by State Parks and Forests. I can drive for 1 hour and 10 minutes and see a Broadway play or the symphony in downtown Pittsburgh. While I live in the Baltimore area, my social life is centered around the active community at HV. I have developed some great friendships. For DC’ers the real estate at HV is a bargain. 1bdrm condos for as low as $70k, townhomes for as low as $145k. You can’t get a garage for that cheap in DC. More than 100 families live here full time. And while Snowshoe is  a 5+ hour drive on 2 lane WV roads, my trip to HV takes a little more than 3 hours and is mostly on interstate highways. Thus I accept the lack of real steeps and can easily go to 4 other ski areas. I love it!

56fish
December 8, 2018
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts

and, Mike, et al in the ski shop are the best.   🍺

superguy
December 10, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Hidden Valley was always nice for a chill weekend - one where you don't feel like bombing down the hill and just want to relax and cruise.  I had some good times out there as a teen - not because the mountain was anything special but it really lent itself to fun if you knew where to find it.

I like the laid back vibe it has, plus the lack of crowds compared to 7S. The lower price is also attractive too - especially if taking a family out for the day.  Several of my ski/boarding buddies fall into the blue range, so I plan on introducing them to HV and the others this season.  Most of them haven't ventured outside of the ST resorts.

I would have loved to hit HV Thanksgiving weekend - I would have had they had Cobra and Imperial open (that came the following weekend).  The right side of the Valley slopes weren't quite enough for me.

I agree that it's underrated, and it didn't get a lot of the respect from the locals back in the day.  The general consensus was that it was easy and it sucked, so everyone either went to BK when the snow was good or hit 7S.  Now that I'm older, it's easier to see how it fits in, and I think it fills its niche nicely.

One question I haven't been able to find an answer to - why did the vertical drop lower to 470?  I remember back in the 90s they always published around 610'. Did they just reread the topo or resurvey the area?

Super

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2018 (edited December 10, 2018)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

superguy wrote:

One question I haven't been able to find an answer to - why did the vertical drop lower to 470?  I remember back in the 90s they always published around 610'. Did they just reread the topo or resurvey the area?

Super

My guess is that readily available topo maps and lift statistics put an end to marketing exaggerations. 

superguy
December 10, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Makes sense.  I remember questioning the 610' even back then, since most of it seemed like 7S's front side with nothing like the north face.

oddballstocks
December 11, 2018
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

We love HV, and fit the target demographic. I have young kids who are learning to ski, live in Pittsburgh etc.

We're up there most Sunday afternoons.  It's rarely crowded, or if it is the lift line is 3-4m long.  The snow is consistent throughout the season, and the season is long.

It has a strong "locals" vibe to it. It seems most of the time it's regulars skiing vs people up for a weekend or bus trip.

It's under the radar, and I'm glad for that in many ways!

56fish
December 12, 2018
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

superguy wrote:

Super

My guess is that readily available topo maps and lift statistics put an end to marketing exaggerations. 

top o’ the triples to bottom of summit 🍺

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.