Snowshoe Weekend
12 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2019
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Here's a couple pics from the shoe this weekend.  Certainly not epic conditions but given the state of the Mid Atlantic, it was a ton of fun.  The second one is the top of Shays.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Is it fair to say that the new snowguns made a difference?

Shotmaker
January 6, 2019
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

YES!

January 7, 2019
1,580 posts

marzNC wrote:

I'd say yes and I'd second that with, when it's cold make snow. I realize this winter has been weird but those who made snow early are reaping the rewards.  Snowshoe was VERY busy. I had a chat with our housekeeping manager and she said this has been one of the busiest early seasons she can remember.  I had trouble finding a parking spot at our complex Friday night.  

I read where 7S and HV had there busiest December in 10 years.  Once again - rewards for early snow making.

Bonzski
January 7, 2019
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

The jr ski team trained at Silvercreek again this weekend.  I was surprised how well all the trails are holding up.  Just a few thin spots.  The surprise shot of a couple inches of snow Sat morning felt like a foot since we were all expecting the worse (again). Hopefully we'll be on Widowmaker this weekend.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

marzNC wrote:

I'd say yes and I'd second that with, when it's cold make snow. I realize this winter has been weird but those who made snow early are reaping the rewards.  Snowshoe was VERY busy. I had a chat with our housekeeping manager and she said this has been one of the busiest early seasons she can remember.  I had trouble finding a parking spot at our complex Friday night.  

I read where 7S and HV had there busiest December in 10 years.  Once again - rewards for early snow making.

For Snowshoe, did you see many Ikon passes?  I know I've heard of a few people who have never driven to Snowshoe before who were thinking about it because they bought Ikon for other reasons.

eggraid
January 7, 2019
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

marzNC wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

marzNC wrote:

For Snowshoe, did you see many Ikon passes?  I know I've heard of a few people who have never driven to Snowshoe before who were thinking about it because they bought Ikon for other reasons.

On the weekend before Chrismas we were there, and it wasn't an overwhelming sea of IkON passes. There were just as many, if not more, Snowshoe season passes in my informal poll of lift lines. There were may more day ticket or 3 for all passes than I expected. I think how many people I saw with the three for all was the biggest surprise to me. 

Keep making snow when the temps dip; it looks better than I expected!

January 7, 2019
1,580 posts

marzNC wrote:

I thought there would be more but I agree with eggraid, seemed to be a TON of regular SS passes. 

This will come across as "smug" but a few in my group opted for the primo pass upgrade.  Eveyone I saw in the primo line had an Ikon Pass.  I was told that was the only way to get the Primo upgrade was to have an Ikon but I am not certain of that.  IMO, that primo add on was worth every penny on saturday at Ballhooter.  We did 3 runs to our friends one.  Until there is a better solution to the log jam at Ballhooter, I'll be opting for the primo add on.    

Bonzski
January 7, 2019
652 posts

marzNC wrote:

I agree with egg & BD.  I would say 10-15%. Since Christmas, I've been at Silvercreek so that could influence my exposure.

eggraid
January 10, 2019
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bonzski wrote:

marzNC wrote:

I agree with egg & BD.  I would say 10-15%. Since Christmas, I've been at Silvercreek so that could influence my exposure.

You're a wise man...although it occurs to me you might expect to see even MORE season passes at Silver Creek during the busy periods. The regulars would know enough to avoid the carnage at the Basin area.

January 10, 2019
1,580 posts

Winds are wreaking havoc at the shoe.  Ballhooter has been shut Wed and so far today.  Same with Western Terr.  Not sure about Soaring Eagle but I would assume the same.

Bonzski
January 10, 2019
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Winds are wreaking havoc at the shoe.  Ballhooter has been shut Wed and so far today.  Same with Western Terr.  Not sure about Soaring Eagle but I would assume the same.

Friend of mine was on Soaring Eagle yesterday....dozen laps on Widomaker and Camp99.  Said snow was great.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?