When fables meet fall lines.
Home
Why is Timberline even open?
31 posts from 21 users
Updated 8 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
one month ago

Just checked their website to see if they had gotten any snow and opened more trails and it looks like they have just two open and the one beginner lift.   Their FB page had the following post:

“The parts to fix the lift are on their way to Timberline. We will keep you posted on the progress. Today the beginner area is open and LIFT TICKETS are $25. Ski School, Cafeteria and Bunkhouse are open. THANK YOU for your support and understanding. Keep positive thoughts going!”

I guess they had another lift breakdown?   I don’t see how/why they are even open this year.    There is no way they can be doing anything other than losing money by being open.

one month ago

mdr227 wrote:

I don’t see how/why they are even open this year.   

Because, just like at Disney, where people complain and complain about the price…they are still willing to stand in line to pay it!

one month ago

LOTS of people have long-ago booked trips to Timberline this winter.  Slopeside home and condo rentals which cannot be cancelled, large groups which cannot easily change their plans at this late date, etc.  So they come and if Timberline has even a limited amount of terrain open, they decide to ski there at least one day because it is “easy”.   

The problem for Timberline and the Valley as a whole is that most of these people won’t be coming back next year, if the experience this year is highly negative.  

29 days ago

Looks like they are closed now until at least Weds as the lift is repaired (though not sure why they can’t run the other triple lift to the top of the mountain).    I wonder if they are even attempting to make snow during this good cold stretch.

“Thanks to our friends, colleagues and neighbors Canaan Valley Resort. It is honoring our multiday MLK weekend lift tickets (Saturday, Sunday, and, today, Monday,). We await replacement bearings on the Triple. Due to ice accumulation at the top on the tower we will re-open Wednesday.”

29 days ago

It’s a real shame for people like us who booked ski house rentals months ago. The good thing is CVR is open with plenty of runs open so it looks like we’ll end up spending the whole trip there. 

29 days ago

mdr227 wrote:

Looks like they are closed now until at least Weds as the lift is repaired (though not sure why they can’t run the other triple lift to the top of the mountain).    I wonder if they are even attempting to make snow during this good cold stretch.

“Thanks to our friends, colleagues and neighbors Canaan Valley Resort. It is honoring our multiday MLK weekend lift tickets (Saturday, Sunday, and, today, Monday,). We await replacement bearings on the Triple. Due to ice accumulation at the top on the tower we will re-open Wednesday.”

Per Timberline’s Facebook, that lift has not been inspected this year. Now the main lift and beginner lifts are down as well, making for the dreaded 0-3 combo.  

27 days ago

It might be something about needing new bearings for the triple lift, according to things I’ve seen online.

It’s so sad to see a great place take such a beating.

27 days ago

They’d been running the Silver Queen Triple at half capacity (loading every other chair) for at least the past 5 years due to poor condition.  .. and people wonder why all their equipment is falling apart..

27 days ago

While it’s your choice to gamble with your own life…would you be willing to put your own kid on a Tline lift???

27 days ago

No way.  I have switched to CVR.

BearingBarn.com should solve TL’s latest issues.

snow.buck wrote:

While it’s your choice to gamble with your own life…would you be willing to put your own kid on a Tline lift???

27 days ago

Let’s continue “preventive maintenance” (in late January) today and open the bunny slope back up tomorrow with the triple opening back up on Friday. What a mess…   

12 days ago

The end may be near for TL:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new…harged-Pill-Mills-Philadelphia-505428001.html

For those who don’t know Dr. Frederick Reichle owns the largest percentage of TL.

12 days ago

WOW.  This is some SERIOUS $#!%.  I work in the medical industry and witnessed a Federal investigation involving forged prescriptions.  The Feds don’t mess around with this stuff.  Especially, given the massive attention on the opiod crisis.  

If these allegations are proven true, this guy is toast.  

12 days ago

There goes the source of re-capitalization!

12 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder if Tline was going to be used to launder the money.

12 days ago

superguy wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder if Tline was going to be used to launder the money.

Or has been for the past 5 years or so..

11 days ago

Me thinks that ole Doc shoulda kept doing what he does best…play the fiddle and bus tables in the cafeteria.

11 days ago

To me it’s a mircale that they are even open now with just 9 trails (and many of them little short ones) open which including only one blue or above and only one from the top of the mountain.    I guess they are still charging full rates too.    I just hope someone steps in this year and takes them over and gets it back to being the great mountain that it can be.  

11 days ago

Rain this week must have been pretty destructive to all winter operations up there, but CVR still has at least five major top to bottom routes open.  

11 days ago

Scary stuff!  Snowshoe has all but on trail open!!! It is below freezing and snowmaking is in operation!

11 days ago

Norsk wrote:

Rain this week must have been pretty destructive to all winter operations up there, but CVR still has at least five major top to bottom routes open.  

There wasn’t much rain during the week actually here. not even close to what was forecasted. ground stayed frozen till early wed.   60+ degrees yesterday though

11 days ago

Wet base…then hard freeze…then its groomed and you get granular sugar on machine tracked ice.  Unless snow is made to blend with the sugar it will be scraped off in a couple hours.  Have at it boys and get back to me on how fun it was.

9 days ago

Could anyone give me the straight scoop on Timberline? We’ve been coming for years and have loved it (in spite of the lack of amenities and upgrades) - however, we’ve been absent for the last couple years. This time around, we rented a cabin through the T4SR last fall, however, as we’re getting ready to come up for President’s Day weekend I’ve just started reading about the issues with the resort, the owners, the lifts, etc. Why isn’t this information being sent out to people so we don’t get stuck with a $1000+ cabin rental to ski someplace that can’t support us? I see nothing on their Facebook page (or other social media sites) or their website. I’ve called and left messages, written them, and haven’t heard back (yet). Does anyone have the full story on this? 

9 days ago

Qthemalks wrote:

Could anyone give me the straight scoop on Timberline? We’ve been coming for years and have loved it (in spite of the lack of amenities and upgrades) - however, we’ve been absent for the last couple years. This time around, we rented a cabin through the T4SR last fall, however, as we’re getting ready to come up for President’s Day weekend I’ve just started reading about the issues with the resort, the owners, the lifts, etc. Why isn’t this information being sent out to people so we don’t get stuck with a $1000+ cabin rental to ski someplace that can’t support us? I see nothing on their Facebook page (or other social media sites) or their website. I’ve called and left messages, written them, and haven’t heard back (yet). Does anyone have the full story on this? 

First post? I have been very critical of T-Line, but your post seems trolling. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, 

https://www.pugski.com/threads/timberline-wv-resorts-future.12294/page-31#post-323642

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/Timber-lies-256001108397244/

9 days ago

themalks wrote:

Regretably, the resort is not putting out much information. Your best bet is to review blog posts. Two others on dcski besides this one

http://www.dcski.com/forum/95649

http://www.dcski.com/forum/87691

or this one at pugski.com

https://www.pugski.com/search/6919435/?q=timberline&o=date

9 days ago

themalks wrote:

You have 2 resorts within minutes and Snowshoe 2 hours to the south so there are options.  If this is the only time you get to ski this year you will be able to ski.

8 days ago
Wisp to the north is another possibility - per Google maps about an hour from Davis.
8 days ago

Just take your business to Canaan Valley Resort.  

8 days ago

Thanks for the replies. Definitely not trolling. I’ve never had the need to check out blogs or reviews in the past, and I recently stumbled across this one after friends have been telling me to stay away from TL. It looked like I would get some honest replies so I registered (and wasn’t disappointed). Thank you for the feedback. We’ll look at Canaan Valley and nearby locations, however, we’re locked into our TL cabin rental, unfortunately. That was the best part of renting on-site … being able to ski-in / ski-out. 

*second post! 

8 days ago

👍

8 days ago

themalks wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Definitely not trolling. I’ve never had the need to check out blogs or reviews in the past, and I recently stumbled across this one after friends have been telling me to stay away from TL. It looked like I would get some honest replies so I registered (and wasn’t disappointed). Thank you for the feedback. We’ll look at Canaan Valley and nearby locations, however, we’re locked into our TL cabin rental, unfortunately. That was the best part of renting on-site … being able to ski-in / ski-out. 

*second post! 

Welcome to the DCSki.com forum, themalks!  Good people here - including many I’ve later met in person and skied with. The discussions here have shaped my skiing a great deal since I climbed back onto skis 15 or so years ago.  This group even helped me pick out my skis 👍 

Sorry about the Timberline situation.  I like that mountain a great deal and have always tried to make the trip there at least once a season.  Not this year.  I’m not one who quickly pushes the panic button, but, as you can see, the place is not being run well at this point.  Those who’ve already responded have offered suggestions (Wisp, Laurel, Canaan Valley), and I think you’ll be much happier there - at least this season.

Good luck.  I hope you’ll follow the forums and post.

Woody

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort: Tube Park Now Open

Shout it from a mountaintop.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.21 seconds