Blue Knob Lodging and condition in March
18 posts
7 users
3k+ views
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2019 (edited February 19, 2019)
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

I visited Blue Knob 1st time this President's wknd. and I liked it very much.  I am considering a 2nd visit in March.

Questions:

1) Historically, how was the condition in early / mid March like?  Condition this weekend was very icy but they groomed the slopes during the day and turned out OK. 

2) If I hit the road (from NoVA) after work on Friday and stay overnight at a hotel off highway (I 70 W), where will be a good stopping point?  Essentially, I'd like to cover as much distance as possible on the highway, then get up early Sat. morning to cover the remaining state /county road.  

Looking at Google Map - is Breezwood, Bedford a good stopping point for an overnigth stay?

3) Can someone comment on the resort lodging at BK? I see there are options for studio properties.  Alternative for on-stie lodging, where would be a good place to stay locally?  (I stayed at Somerset this President's weekend)

crgildart
February 19, 2019
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I'd be looking at 7 Springs for mid March, especially the way this season is trending.  Base depth isn't nearly as solid as a "good" February.  If they are able to have terrain open for skiing, depending on how many people you have, the Mountaintop Chalet is a pretty cool place to stay.  Couple hundred feet from the Jack Rabbit trail.  There are smaller condos off Route 66 near the mid station.  That's a better option if you have any true beginners in the group who might have trouble getting down Jack Rabbit. 

February 19, 2019
169 posts

crgildart wrote:

I'd be looking at 7 Springs for mid March, especially the way this season is trending.  Base depth isn't nearly as solid as a "good" February.  If they are able to have terrain open for skiing, depending on how many people you have, the Mountaintop Chalet is a pretty cool place to stay.  Couple hundred feet from the Jack Rabbit trail.  There are smaller condos off Route 66 near the mid station.  That's a better option if you have any true beginners in the group who might have trouble getting down Jack Rabbit. 

Thanks for the info.  Likely it will be a solo trip, Mountaintop Chalet will be too big for me.  

The wknd I am looking at is March 9 and 10.  I only spent 1 day at Blue Knob this time and felt it was not enough time, so I wanted to go back again.  

superguy
February 21, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I would stop in Bedford.  It's the closest decent-sized town before you hit Blue Knob.  They have a Hampton and a Quality Inn that i know of for sure (I pass both on a regular basis).  Couple economy places too, depending on your budget.  There's a Denny's right off the turnpike and close to both QI and Hampton if you want breakfast, and a couple other fast food joints nearby.

Breezewood is about 15-20 minutes before Bedford but has a few options. Mostly in your Holiday Inn Express and lower range though.

Blue Knob seems to be hanging in there.  They're claiming a 40"-45" base, and they got 10"-12" yesterday before it changed over to sleet and mix.  They even had Lower Shortway and Lower 66 open yesterday.

Current weather forecast is calling for temps to be well within snowmaking range over the next couple weeks, with some natural stuff thrown in.  Whether they do it or not is another story, and of course, the weather is subject to change.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
February 21, 2019
169 posts

superguy wrote:

I would stop in Bedford.  It's the closest decent-sized town before you hit Blue Knob.  They have a Hampton and a Quality Inn that i know of for sure (I pass both on a regular basis).  Couple economy places too, depending on your budget.  There's a Denny's right off the turnpike and close to both QI and Hampton if you want breakfast, and a couple other fast food joints nearby.

Breezewood is about 15-20 minutes before Bedford but has a few options. Mostly in your Holiday Inn Express and lower range though.

Blue Knob seems to be hanging in there.  They're claiming a 40"-45" base, and they got 10"-12" yesterday before it changed over to sleet and mix.  They even had Lower Shortway and Lower 66 open yesterday.

Current weather forecast is calling for temps to be well within snowmaking range over the next couple weeks, with some natural stuff thrown in.  Whether they do it or not is another story, and of course, the weather is subject to change.

Thank you very much.  It confirmed my findings on Bedford vs. Breezewood. I will look for lodging in Bedford on Friday night.  I called Blue Knob after posting this thread, I was told it is now under new management and they will make an efforts on snowmaking, with weather permitting.  As for Sat. night, I plan to stay at one of the studios at BK (about 1 mile away). They provide shuttle services on Sat. and Sun. 

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2019
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

If you're looking for a special place to stay, check out the Bedford Springs Hotel. It is an incredible place with an amazing history. It is a stunning piece of architecture. Even if you don't stay there, stop by and have dinner or a drink to take in the history. 

superguy
February 22, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Omni Hotels owns it, FWIW.

February 23, 2019
1,576 posts

I saw an add for a special at Bedford Springs - $121/night. If you can get a room at this magnificent hotel at that price, it's definitely worth it.

February 23, 2019
1,576 posts

I saw an add for a special at Bedford Springs - $121/night. If you can get a room at this magnificent hotel at that price, it's definitely worth it.

February 24, 2019
169 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Do you have the link to the ad?  I called Friday, was quoted price of almost $380 bed & breakfast for a Friday night stay, check out Sat.  

wgo
February 24, 2019
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

If I read the snow report correctly Extrovert is now open. Surprising but great if true.

When I last skied BK several years ago we also did the stay in Bedford Friday night and a BK condo Saturday night routine. They let us check into the condo on the way to the slopes Saturday morning, which was convenient.

February 25, 2019 (edited February 25, 2019)
1,576 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

Do you have the link to the ad?  I called Friday, was quoted price of almost $380 bed & breakfast for a Friday night stay, check out Sat.  

It showed up and now I cannot find. Sorry. I checked hotels.com and got a price of $289/nt.  Not cheap. 

March 5, 2019 (edited March 5, 2019)
169 posts

snowsmith wrote:

It showed up and now I cannot find. Sorry. I checked hotels.com and got a price of $289/nt.  Not cheap. 

No worries.  I still plan to hit Blue Knob this weekend.  I have next Monday off, so I can ski Sat, Sunday and Monday. 

My tentative plan:

Sat. Blue Knob

Sun. Liberty (I have a free one day lift ticket + 1 hour group lesson voucher. I'd like to use before season ends)

Mon, Whitetail (I have not been there this season at all)

Hopefully, temperature will cooperate and remain cold....  

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 5, 2019
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

There was a lot of natural snow terrain open yesterday at Blue Knob. I don't know if it will be skied off b the weekend.

superguy
March 5, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Lower HH and Edgeset are still showing as being open.

March 12, 2019 (edited March 12, 2019)
169 posts

Want to give you an update on my BK visit this past weekend.  I hit the road on Sat before 7 am from Alex., arrived to BK before 10 am.  I skied until 5 pm'ish. Condition was much better than President's weekend. 

I was a bit suprpised by # of folks visiting BK from NoVA.  I think 3 people chatted with me on a lift ride,  all were season pass holders from NoVA.  They prefered BK because it was less crowded.  

I skied Stembogan (was not opened in Presidnet's weekend) the first time.  I don't understand why it was a black... did not have the guts to venture out to Stembogan bowl or extrovert since I was skiing solo.  

I like BK, enjoy the vibe.  The only complaint I have is the double chair, it gave me motion sickness when I was on it. Never happened to me before.  I tried to stick with the triple as much as possible after (only 2 chairs running). 

I stayed in Bedford on Sat. night. 

For future visit, if I do hit the road on Friday night after work, I may opt to stay in Breezewood because there are plenty hotels off the highway.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 12, 2019 (edited March 12, 2019)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Want to give you an update on my BK visit this past weekend.  I hit the road on Sat before 7 am from Alex., arrived to BK before 10 am.  I skied until 5 pm'ish. Condition was much better than President's weekend. 

. . .I skied Stembogan (was not opened in Presidnet's weekend) the first time.  I don't understand why it was a black... did not have the guts to venture out to Stembogan bowl or extrovert since I was skiing solo.  

I like BK, enjoy the vibe.  . . .

How did you ski Stembogan?  Did you stop or take it at speed the entire way?  For someone who is most comfortable on mid-Atlantic blues, the curves on Stembogan are a bit of a challenge when taken at a higher speed.  Plus I don't think the Stembogan bowl is separate on the trail map.  Stembogan is not that much harder, but the rating is only in comparison to other trails at BK.  Of course, snow conditions always make a difference in the difficulty level of any trail.

The vibe at BK is indeed fun.  Certainly hope the snowmaking infrastructure issues can be resolved before next season.

superguy
March 12, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts
Stembogen is one of those trails that is later of the artificial tail count padding. Every segment is it's own "trail." They should just call it all Stembogen from the traverse down to the bottom.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.