Snow forecast for Snowshoe WV for Closing Day Of Season
8 posts
5 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 29, 2019
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

National Weather Bureau in Charleston WV is calling for light snow to fall at Snowshoe Resort on Sunday, March 31.  What a way to close an amazing ski season at the Shoe!!!  Skiing spread over 5 months, both Cupp and Shays open on closing day, fantastic payoff from massive snowmaking investment last summer & fall!!  Record breaking boarders and skiers on the slopes.  No question that Snowshoe is THE SKI RESORT in the mid-Atlantic and SE USA!!  Can’t wait to see what improvements are planned for the 2019-2020 ski season?!!!  Will Patti surprise us with lift and slope improvements!?  By the way, Patti, congratulations on a great first season at the helm!!!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

msprings
March 30, 2019
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
Alterra & Snowshoe announced their summer 2019 capital improvements. 1 new downhill mountain biking trail.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

msprings wrote:

Alterra & Snowshoe announced their summer 2019 capital improvements. 1 new downhill mountain biking trail.

Might more more than just a trail.  Have to be ready for a major competition in September.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190304005793/en/Alterra-Mountain-Company-Announces-181-Million-Capital

"Snowshoe will play host to the final round of the 2019 Mountain Bike World Cup in September 2019."

msprings
March 30, 2019
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

marzNC wrote:

msprings wrote:

Might more more than just a trail.  Have to be ready for a major competition in September.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190304005793/en/Alterra-Mountain-Company-Announces-181-Million-Capital

"Snowshoe will play host to the final round of the 2019 Mountain Bike World Cup in September 2019."

Direct from the Alterra Website, I may have been wrong about it being only 1 trail, but still a lackluster investment. Another big snowmaking investment like last year, and the resort could be set for a long, long time.

"Alterra Mountain Company is increasing its investment in mountain biking, constructing new bike trails and features at Snowshoe, which is consistently ranked among the top mountain biking destinations in the region. Snowshoe will play host to the final round of the 2019 Mountain Bike World Cup in September 2019."

rbrtlav
March 31, 2019
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Last year there was talk of planning of a terrain expansion off the side of soaring eagle during the homeowners meeting. I suspect we will hear something on the status of that at the meeting this May (go/no go - salamander/etc), but I suspect major capital improvements in the next 5 years depend on whether or not they can continue with that. 

If they open new terrain, snowmaking would come with it, and it would help the ballhooter problem some as well without adding more people to the existing trails. 

I will also note, they seem to spend a decent amount on general maintenance every year that they don’t advertise, I suspect white rabbit will be renovated this spring to be a Mexican restaurant and I think there will be a micro brewery next winter. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see more, but I think what they spend money on next depends on what they can do beyond south mountain.

Bonzski
March 31, 2019
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Microbrewery will open this summer.

Last years snowmaking upgrade was phase one of three.

Agree that expansion at south mountain area is coming.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2019
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

What about permanent/temporary solving of Ball Hooter over-crowding issue?

MorganB

aka The Colonel

msprings
March 31, 2019
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
The biggest issue Snowshoe has is that you have to take Ballhooter to get to the Widowmaker pod. It makes Ballhooter critical for both cross mountain traffic and skiing. Adding a connection from Grabhammer to get to Widowmaker would be a big help.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?