18 posts
11 users
2k+ views
skinavy
November 11, 2019
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

in the "wishful thinking" bucket:

Could be cold enough long enough each night this week for Lib, WT, RT to make enough and open Sat or Sunday! 

Absolutely RT could if they are allowed the aggressiveness the way they did the early-open park for a few seasons.  The problem is next week shows r*in and hi-50s.  WIll depend on how Vail views the longer-term pattern between now and mid-Dec, and if they see benefit to a pre-TGiving open.  They aren't known for making hero/Hail Mary shots with openings and closing, however.

Scott - DCSki Editor
November 11, 2019
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Definitely in the "wishful thinking" bucket.  I don't see them making snow until possibly December, based on the current long-range forecast and their historical business decisions.

mdr227
November 11, 2019
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

Definitely don't think any of those three local ones will push to open before early December even if we have a long cold spell.   They are not destination resorts so don't have the big push to open for the Thanksgiving weekend and in my experience going in the early season the crowds just don't get very big (esp midweek) until closer to Christmas.   It would be great if they could open the first week or two of December to get some local pre-holiday skiing in.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 11, 2019
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I would not be at all surprised if Seven Springs or Snowshoe opens something by this weekend. I would not be surprised if they did not either. I think they could open. How much are bragging rights worth?

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
mdr227
November 12, 2019
193 posts

Should be a good 48 plus hours of snowmaking (at least) for SS, HV, 7S, CV, Wisp, etc. (even Bryce made some snow with the last cold spell) so most could technically open a few trails I assume, but the question is would they have the staffing in place to do so and would it make economic sense for them to open so early.   I know the destination places are probably aiming for the Weds before Thanksgiving, but would be great if some could open this weekend.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 12, 2019
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I would not be at all surprised if Seven Springs or Snowshoe opens something by this weekend. I would not be surprised if they did not either. I think they could open. How much are bragging rights worth?

Did Laurel Mountain get their air compressor delivery?

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 12, 2019
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Did Laurel Mountain get their air compressor delivery?

I haven't been to the mountain in over a week. I haven't heard of an opening date but my guess based on past practice is Laurel will open the week before Christmas. Now if Laurel had as many "Laurel only" seasons passes that Hidden Valley has then I think they would make an attempt to open earlier. No, I have no idea how many seasons passes Laurel has sold but my guess is in the hundreds not thousands. Again, only my opinion. 

mdr227
November 13, 2019
193 posts

Looks like Roundtop starting snowmaking last night and Bryce is going strong with it this morning along with Wisp, 7S, HV, SS, CV, etc..   LM looks like they have some good snow, but no active snowmaking.    Wintergreen appears to be blowing snow on the the bunny hill and the top of Eagles Swoop only (not sure if they are just testing things, but with it being 9 degrees there they are missing a golden opportunity to open some trails by Thanksgiving if they don't ramp up soon).   Only Liberty and Whitetail seem to not be making any snow.   I can't remember a time when we've had so many resorts making so much snow this early in November.    The nights coming up should still be cold enough most nights to keep making snow even if the daytime temps rise a bit.   Could be a number of resorts open by Thanksgiving weekend.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I think Massanutten used the cold snap last week as a full test.  With highs in the 50s and 60s on Monday, most of the first run of snow melted.  It was 23 degrees by 6pm yesterday.  Clearly, last night all the fan guns were on from the base up to the top of DJ.

As of 8am, 16 degrees at Massanutten, 12 at Wintergreen, and 6 at CV.  I expect most, if not all, snowguns to be running all day at Mnut.

superguy
November 13, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Blue Knob has the guns going too.

Thanksgiving week is looking rough, with rain, ice and snow mixes all during the week in the Laurels (up to 27th on the extended forecast on weather.com). 7S and HV may be able to pull it off with some cold nights, but I think we're going to be looking mostly down at WV for Thanksgiving weekend turns, barring any weather pattern changes.

camp
November 13, 2019
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Blue Mountain, PA opening this weekend.

Hoping Bryce does too. They often flaunt their indy flexibility and one recent year opened for a skiing weekend, and then back to mtn biking the next weekend before returning to skiing.

rbrtlav
November 13, 2019
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Big Boulder is opening friday, and Roundtop looks like they have made a decent amount of snow... I wouldnt be surprised if they at least have a hike park open.

skiracerx
November 14, 2019
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Roundtop at 2:30 am was 22.35 wet bulb and had 1 blue and 2 greens being made.  75 hrs is my avg number for production before limited open, but they added more wands, pumps and electric. We have over 24 hrs at RT.  

No test. looks like goign for it. Even if limited to a weekend not bad. 

things I am looking at is NAO drops end of month, along with AO for a arctic push. 

History for lib/rt was thanksgiving the weekend after. 

High till Dec 1   - 50 and under one day at > 55, they face north and that helps. Sun is done by 3 pm. 

Enjoy 

mdr227
November 14, 2019
193 posts

Interesting to see it's in the high 20s now at SS, 7S and Wintergreen while near Dulles Airport it's 19 degrees right now where I live.   Bryce is blowing like crazy still (a bit cooler there) and definitely looks to be making a push to open early (they've done a great job with that in recent years as well as staying open late).    My guess is that locally we'll have at least 5 open by Thanksgiving given the amount snow blown already and the cold nights coming up this weekend.    Just really surprised that Wintergreen has been so slow to get started, still seem to just be testing a couple of guns.   They have often touted being able to open in just a few days blowing snow.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2019 (edited November 14, 2019)
3,246 posts

mdr227 wrote:

Interesting to see it's in the high 20s now at SS, 7S and Wintergreen while near Dulles Airport it's 19 degrees right now where I live.   Bryce is blowing like crazy still (a bit cooler there) and definitely looks to be making a push to open early (they've done a great job with that in recent years as well as staying open late).    My guess is that locally we'll have at least 5 open by Thanksgiving given the amount snow blown already and the cold nights coming up this weekend.    Just really surprised that Wintergreen has been so slow to get started, still seem to just be testing a couple of guns.   They have often touted being able to open in just a few days blowing snow.

I bet Bryce would get some media exposure if they open early, even if only for a day.  It's part of the Indy Pass.  I have no doubt that Cataloochee got more press than usual when they opened because of Indy.  Cat typically is first-to-open in NC, along with Sugar.  Sugar made news locally and stayed open midweek.  But no mention in national snow-related outlets.

I'm going to bring ski gear since I'll be at Mnut this weekend.  I have time on Saturday for a day trip to Bryce. ;-)

I wonder if Wintergreen has a staffing issue.  Don't usually need snowmaking staff until late November.  Definitely way behind Massanutten.  Last winter, Wintergreen also ran into water supply problems when there were long periods of good snowmaking weather during early season before a base was built up.

skinavy
November 14, 2019
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

Out of the "wishful" bucket and into the "it's ON" bucket!

RT webpage & email:

"Yes, it's true!  We will open for the season at 8:00 am on Saturday November 16.  Hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Saturday and Sunday.  Minuteman Quad and J-Bar will be in operation.  No ski school or rentals.  $30.00 all day tickets.  Take a Snow Day!

pboulay
November 15, 2019
Member since 11/21/2013 🔗
16 posts

From Bryce:

"Attention Skiers! Grab your skis, the slopes await!

Bryce Resort GM Ryan Locher is pleased to announce that the slopes are open this weekend.

Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

The bike park will also be open Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

$25 covers your lift ticket for skiing and the bike park. Details on open trails/lifts below...

Ski Area Openings (10am-4pm)

Lift Service: Lift 2

Trails: Bootlegger & Bunny

Bike Park (10am-4pm)

Lift Service: Lift 1

Trails Open: Screwdriver, Carbomb, Pickleback, Copperhead.

(Brewthru, Sundownder and Snakebite CLOSED)

RATES

Ski & Bike combo Ticket: $25

Rental Ski/ Snowboard Rate: $25

Think COLD & SNOW, and see you on the slopes!"

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2019
3,246 posts

Massanutten announced an opening date . . . Nov. 22.  That's the earliest opening ever!  For Owners and season passholders only the first day.  Then the weekends before and after Thanksgiving.

Opening Day for Ski Season Pass Holders & Property Owners is Nov. 22 from 12 ”“ 4 pm! 
Top to bottom skiing & riding will be available on November 22 from 12 ”“ 4 pm for Ski Season Pass Holders & Property Owners only! Property & Gold Card Owners will be required to show their ID at the ticket window to purchase their slope-use ticket.

Après Ski Special 
Friday Only From 4:30 ”“ 5:30 pm | Free apps & drink specials at Base Camp!

Hours After Opening Day
Nov. 23 & Nov. 24 | Ski Slopes 9 am ”“ 5 pm & Snow Tubing 10 am ”“ 5 pm
Nov. 25 - Nov. 28 | Closed
Nov. 29 - Dec. 1 | Ski Slopes 9 am ”“ 5 pm & Snow Tubing 10 am ”“ 5 pm
Hours are weather-dependent and subject to change without notice.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?