Best ski review source? And Is everyone over 85mm?
11 posts
9 users
2k+ views
Muddytyres
December 10, 2019
Member since 03/26/2019 🔗
8 posts

I AM FINALLY GOING TO PURCHASE NEW SKIS, really. I've been looking up reviews so that I can demo them while I'm out west. There are many sites that offer new ski reviews but which one has less brand bias?

It seems that all of the favored skis are over 85 under foot and I have a really hard time with what I consider such 'wide' skis. Should I suck it up, get the wider skis, and work harder to learn to turn? I'm only 5' tall and I really hate to be miserable but if it will eventually 'improve' my skiing then...

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2019
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Check out ski reviews at PugSki.com. Here's a link to their reviews: https://www.pugski.com/forums/gear-reviews-and-comparisons.11/

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Muddytyres wrote:

I AM FINALLY GOING TO PURCHASE NEW SKIS, really. I've been looking up reviews so that I can demo them while I'm out west. There are many sites that offer new ski reviews but which one has less brand bias?

It seems that all of the favored skis are over 85 under foot and I have a really hard time with what I consider such 'wide' skis. Should I suck it up, get the wider skis, and work harder to learn to turn? I'm only 5' tall and I really hate to be miserable but if it will eventually 'improve' my skiing then...

When was the last time you bought skis?  What skis have you been using?

I'm petite, over 60, and my all-mountain skis for trips out west are 85mm, 159cm.  I was an adverturous intermediate when I bought my first pair of good skis after starting to ski more regularly about 15 years ago.  Those were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel and rocker.  For skiing 90% on groomers as well as at Massanutten, that worked out well.  These days I have more than one pair of skis.  What I use at Massanutten are 78mm, 148cm.  When I get lucky and catch a powder storm, I rent skis that are around 100mm, 160-166cm because those have tip and tail rocker.

As for improving technique, I started taking lessons after a knee injury (not skiing) over five years ago.  Made a huge difference in what terrain I enjoy out west.  My ski buddy, who is pushing 70 and was an expert skier in high school on straight skis, eventually joined me in taking lessons.  He skis longer days and harder terrain than when I started skiing with him at at a school reunion at Alta Lodge about ten years ago.  We're headed to Taos again for another Taos Ski Week in February.  That's six morning group lessons with the same L3 instructor, usually 20+ years of experience teaching, for $300.  Come join us and our other friends.

The19thHole
December 10, 2019
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

I run with 70s under foot around here with skis that can really carve on the hard pack. Out west I'm 88+ in the soft & fluffy stuff. But even then, If I were to stay on groomed runs 90% of the time, I'd stick with the 70s to no more than 88.

YMMV. Doesn't hurt to demo a few different types of skis to see which ones fit your syle of skiing best. Don't let some ski shop kid talk you into a set of Utah-rated fatties when all you'll be doing is skiing mid-Atlantic hard pack.

Muddytyres
December 10, 2019
Member since 03/26/2019 🔗
8 posts

I think my skis are 8-9 years old. Rossignol Voodoo 74 underfoot. I'm currently out west (Deer Valley) and have the opportunity to try a LOT of skis provided I have the time and legs. I loved the k2 anthem 80 yesterday after struggling with an 84 underfoot softer ski that was Rec by the first ski guy as the "ski that everyone loves". I think eventually I will end up with a two ski quiver for icy days and east coast powder days.

ill def look at pug ski. Thanks!

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2019
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Forget the reviews and demo.  

Crush
December 10, 2019 (edited December 10, 2019)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Denis wrote:

Forget the reviews and demo.  

100% agree - you have to see how they work for you unless you are a "thinker" type learner.

Muddytyres - Never be afraid of throwing away everything you've learned about snowsports; i did in 1998-1999 with these guys

https://www.rowlandhall.org/rowmark/academy-program

in masters racing ski camp and it changed my world - and training with coaches like Olle Larrson and Hillary Lindh I am thankful for.

And what are "east coast powder days" lol - oh this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6UWR0kSFcE

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Muddytyres wrote:

I think my skis are 8-9 years old. Rossignol Voodoo 74 underfoot. I'm currently out west (Deer Valley) and have the opportunity to try a LOT of skis provided I have the time and legs. I loved the k2 anthem 80 yesterday after struggling with an 84 underfoot softer ski that was Rec by the first ski guy as the "ski that everyone loves". I think eventually I will end up with a two ski quiver for icy days and east coast powder days.

ill def look at pug ski. Thanks!

Have you stopped in the free Demo Center for Rossignol?

I actually had a lot of fun on the BP88 @145cm a couple seasons ago at Taos.  There is now a BP82 that's a brand new width.  Could be a good compromise for MidA and flying trips.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 13, 2019
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

I am sort of in the market for new boards myself. Been reading a lot of reviews myself, mostly on Pugski. I am basically looking for a ski for the Canaan Valley and Whitetail.  I will rent wider skis when I go West. I agree that demoing is the way to go and will do some of that, probably at Wachusett or Stowe. For the Mid-Atlantic, I believe after many years of skiing here that one should look to buy a ski that performs well on the hardest machine groomed snow (i.e. ice) and Spring snow (i.e. crud). You want something solid on ice but something that can also plow through crud. On many days, you will experience both surface types. 

comprex
December 16, 2019
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Muddytyres, how up-to-date are your boots?       I ask because difficulty with wide skis is *extremely* often related to having loose or badly balanced boots. 

The problem with demoing if you're going to take lessons is that there is a very good chance you won't like the ski you liked before the lessons. 

Keith_Moon
December 17, 2019
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

I'm 6'2" ~170lbs advanced intermediate (I can do easier black runs).  This past offseason I got Elan Amphibio 80 Ti 176cm skis.  I got 'em as demos and they were a bit cheaper than the "usual suspects" ie Kendos or Brahmas.  Only been out with them once this year at Snowshoe but they performed as I had hoped - no complaints and I liked the vendor (Powder7).

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.