Skiing at Elk Mountain over New Year's?
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Gibou Skier
December 10, 2019
Member since 12/9/2019 🔗
22 posts

Can anyone comment on typical ski conditions and open terrain at Elk Mountain over Christmas/New Year's the last few years?

Are they agressive about getting most of the mountain open for the holidays? I'm considering a 2-night family trip there the week of New Year's as an add-on to an already planned trip from NoVA to Philadelphia that weekend. I have kids and a spouse who ski a mix of green and some easier blues on occassional trips to Liberty and northern Vermont/southern Quebec. I've never been to Elk, but I've read positive reports about it on this forum. It looks like Elk has a few long greens (Lehigh, Tioga) and blues (Lenape, Mahican) on the far sides of the trail map that could keep them happy and entertained, but only if Elk opens those trails that early in the season (they do have Tioga already open).

Any northeast PA skiers care to comment?

Also interested in hearing anyone's experience with the half orfull day kids programs there.

Thanks!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Are you thinking about just before or after Jan. 1?  Driving from Philly or driving to Philly?  Reason I'm asking is that if I were going in that region during the holidays, I'd be trying to figure out how to ski at Plattekill.  There isn't lodging slopeside at either Elk or Plattekill but Platty is a slightly longer drive.

The Elk Ski School has a strong reputation in general.  I did a 1-day women's clinic there several years ago.  They have very strong trainers so I would expect the instructors for the children's program to be pretty good.  It's very much a family oriented mountain.

Gibou Skier
December 10, 2019
Member since 12/9/2019 🔗
22 posts

Thanks for advice, marzNC. We'd be going from NoVA to Philly for a couple days, then on to Elk a couples days, and then back to NoVA. I'm interested I going to Platekill some day, but the attraction of Elk for this trip is that it would be just a couple hours from Philly and not too bad of a drive back to NoVA a couple days after. Sounds like it would be less crowded than Poconos, and better conditions than Whitetail/Liberty. But it's only really worth it if there's likely to be top to bottom terrain for the newer skiers in our family. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2019 (edited December 10, 2019)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Gibou Skier wrote:

Thanks for advice, marzNC. We'd be going from NoVA to Philly for a couple days, then on to Elk a couples days, and then back to NoVA. I'm interested I going to Platekill some day, but the attraction of Elk for this trip is that it would be just a couple hours from Philly and not too bad of a drive back to NoVA a couple days after. Sounds like it would be less crowded than Poconos, and better conditions than Whitetail/Liberty. But it's only really worth it if there's likely to be top to bottom terrain for the newer skiers in our family. 

From what I've learned from a few Ski Divas who live in eastern PA, Elk over the holidays is pretty fun.  No way to predict in advance if they can get the other easier trails open.  But you could make a motel reservation that can be cancelled and make a final decision later.

Probably less crowded than Whitetail or Liberty.  Of course, my bias for holiday periods is still Massanutten.  Especially if willing to arrive early and then take a long lunch.  Even the base lifts don't have much of a line after 3:00pm and all trails are lit.  I like the layout of Mnut better for mixed-ability groups compared to Whitetail or Roundtop.  Haven't been to Liberty.

I stayed at the Microtel Inn in Dickson City about five years ago.  The GM skis Elk any chance he gets.  Back then there was a Ski&Stay package.  But might not exist during a holiday period.  You could call and ask.

I've driven on I-81 from Harrisonburg north to Binghamton many times in the last decade, in all seasons.  There was still some construction lane closures south of Wilkes-Barre in October.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?