Where to ski: Dec 21-22 and Dec 28-29
19 posts
8 users
2k+ views
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
December 17, 2019
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Want to seek advice on where to ski the upcoming 2 weekends:  Dec 21-22 and Dec 28-29

I have an Indy Pass (Canaan -blackout Dec 28-29, M'nut, Bryce, Blue Knob) and Ikon (Snowhoe - no blackout).

Tentatively, I am considering:

Dec 21-22 - Bryce + M'nut (Indy Pass) - overnightstay in Harrisonburg on Sat.

Dec 28-29 - Snowshoe (Ikon) - can leave on Friday after work.  

I won't have time off during the holiday season, can only do weekend trips and prefer to stick w/ places I have pass.  

Thanks in advance for your input. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 17, 2019
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Looks good!  Not sure but crowd at Snowshoe might be smaller your first weekend!?

December 17, 2019 (edited December 17, 2019)
169 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Looks good!  Not sure but crowd at Snowshoe might be smaller your first weekend!?

I did think about first weekend going to the Shoe. But, if 1st wknd., I can only leave on Sat. mrng, can't take off on Friday night after work because I am going to a concert at the Kennedy Center that night. 

With that said, it's too much driving for Sat. and Sunday.

I also thought about going to Canaan the first weekend, ski one day at Canaan.  Then try cross country the 2nd day (Sunday).  I have never x-country before and am curious to try it out the first time. 

Another reason to go to Snowshoe 2nd weeknd is because I have Ikon pass and Snowshoe does not have blackout days, whereas Indy pass has (blackout days for Canaan).  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 18, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

I also thought about going to Canaan the first weekend, ski one day at Canaan.  Then try cross country the 2nd day (Sunday).  I have never x-country before and am curious to try it out the first time. 

Another reason to go to Snowshoe 2nd weeknd is because I have Ikon pass and Snowshoe does not have blackout days, whereas Indy pass has (blackout days for Canaan).  

Haven't been following that closely but not sure there will be enough snow for XC skiing yet in WV.  I stayed at the CV Lodge several years ago with another Ski Diva and enjoyed it.  Hoping to ski CV for the first time in Jan using Indy, but would be a day trip from Massanutten.

The weekend of Dec. 28-29 will be busy everywhere.  By then Snowshoe should be 100% open, which should help.  At least can try Silver Creek when it's too crowded on the Basin trails.  Have you checked for lodging?

Have you considered Blue Knob for Dec. 28-29?  Also on Indy.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
December 18, 2019
169 posts

marzNC wrote:

Have you considered Blue Knob for Dec. 28-29?  Also on Indy.

Yes, I have. My understanding is, BK has limited snow making, plus it is in Western PA, which has less snowfall comparing to NE PA this time of the year, hence it's less ideal.  

I visted BK twice last season and enjoyed it very much. 

If BK has decent terrain open this time of the year, I'd definitely consider it.  

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 18, 2019
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Dec 28-29 - Snowshoe (Ikon) - can leave on Friday after work.  

Have you checked on lodging yet?  Snowshoe usually sells out from 12/26 - 1/1.  I would not wait much longer and honestly, you may be too late to find anything reasonable.    

December 18, 2019 (edited December 18, 2019)
169 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:  

Have you checked on lodging yet?  

I usually stay at Elkins when I go to the Shoe.  It still has vacancy.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 18, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I think Bryce & Mnut for Dec. 21-22 would make a nice start to the season.  Less driving, more time to just enjoy skiing without have to deal with new logistics.  Save CV for when more is open and XC skiing is definitely an option.

As you know, you won't have to wait in a lift line for Lift 6 at Mnut.  With the cold weather this week, there is a chance they can get Upper Showtime open.  Snowmaking started on Lower Showtime last night.  Day time snowmaking happening today and probably tomorrow too.

Bryce will also take full advantage of snowmaking temps before the weekend.  It's small, so won't take any time to figure out the two base buildings.  The new building in the center is very nice, with a great view.

nakedskier
December 18, 2019 (edited December 18, 2019)
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

I usually stay at Elkins when I go to the Shoe.  It still has vacancy.

I've never thought to stay in Elkins when going to the Shoe.  How's the commute in the morning and the parking once you arrive?  It looks like there's enough in town to keep yourself occupied at night with adequate dining options.  

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 18, 2019
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

From the Wal Mart in Elkins, it's a 1 hour drive south on 219 to the top of the mountain in good conditions.  Traffic is usually not too bad, unless you get behind a logging truck.  It's a 2 lane road from Beverly to Snowshoe and in my case (verizon) no cell service once I get past Beverly.

PS - Tons of Civil War history in Beverly if you happen to get a rainy day and do not wish to ski in the rain.

dwm8a
December 18, 2019
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts

I've stayed in Elkins a few times. It's an hour give or take depending on road conditions, and I've never had an issue parking at Top of the World. Not ideal, of course, but I do it for three main reasons: (1) lower price; (2) avoiding two-night minimums at most on-mountain options; (3) vacancy - I can decide to go last-minute and expect there will be rooms available at the Days Inn (or similar places), which isn't usually the case for on-mountain options.

December 18, 2019
169 posts

nakedskier wrote:

I've never thought to stay in Elkins when going to the Shoe.  How's the commute in the morning and the parking once you arrive? 

For commute in the morning, I think it's fine as long as you arrive early, like between 8:30 - 9 am, traffic is ok.  Speaking for myself and myself only, I have ADD (asian driving deficiency), so I found the driving up to the Shoe a bit stressful even without traffic because of the climb and hairpin turns.  Same applies to return trip back to Elkins, I found it a bit stressful because I drive slow and caused "minor" traffic jams at times. 

As for parking, I only recalled one time (either MLK or President's day wknd one year), I arrived close to 10 am and I was not able find parking, circled around the lot many times and ended up parked somewhere further up the hill on gravel space.  Unlike 7 springs, Snowshoe does not have staff directing traffic during peak hours. This is something I wish they could improve.  

SIde note:

I only know Elkins from my friend's husband.  In 2010 President's day weekend (the snowmageddon year when DC was paralyzed with snowstorm for ~1 wk), they drove from Indiana, he suggested to stay in Elkins and then we'd drive up to Snowshoe. I knew nothng about skiing then, let alone where to stay and how to get to a resort.  That was my 1st time skiing for real (Actual 1st time was in Breckendridge but that did not count).  

I visited the shoe twice after, both times I stayed in Elkins becuase it is not as expensive as staying on the mtn.  I agreed with what dwm8a said.  

Bonzski
December 20, 2019
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
Well, where did you decide?
December 20, 2019
169 posts

This coming wknd Bryce / M'nut

Next weekend is TBD.  

I have min.motivation to drive to the Shoe  

Bonzski
December 22, 2019
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
Interested to hear conditions. Both cancelled races scheduled for this weekend.
December 22, 2019 (edited December 22, 2019)
169 posts

I only made to Bryce today, did not go to M'nut as planned.  

My 1st time ever to Bryce.  Arrived around 10 am, condition was icy, bumpy (chunks of ice near magic carpet), uneven terrains, and challenging. 

It improved around mid day as it got warmed up and sunny, trails were softened and made skiing more "manageable".  People were only wearinng t-shirts.  

I did see ski team training on one of the blue trails (bootlegger?) and also saw a timer.  Not sure if there was a race going on.   

Only 1 chair running, the quad.  No lift lines, not crowded at all.  

My 1st impression of Bryce: green trail (red eye) has similar pitch as blues.  Blues have nice, sustained pitches. Terrains were not nicely groomed, at least compared to other places I've skied. 

For my own future reference, if I ever go back to Bryce, I'd wait until late morning when conditions are softened a bit.  I probaly won't bother if it's overcast.  

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
December 22, 2019 (edited December 22, 2019)
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I have never seen the words Bryce and challenging in proximity before

December 22, 2019
169 posts

kemperski wrote:

I have never seen the words Bryce and challenging in proximity before

It was for me the first 2 runs.  Today was my.first day of skiing this season. 

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
December 22, 2019
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I think at this point in the season your experience would have been the same where ever you chose

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.