Anyone have any insight to conditions at Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons?
11 posts
7 users
2k+ views
wojo
December 26, 2019
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

Anyone going next week?  Would love to hear about it.  Anyone have any must do hints?

making up for lost time
December 27, 2019
Member since 09/20/2016 🔗
25 posts

My family and I were just at Alta from December 20-24. They were completely open! We also skied for a day at Snowbird, which was almost all open, and which thrilled and humbled me (just when I thought that I might be getting competent :)

The snowpack for LCC is slightly above average for this time of year, but they hadn't gotten any fresh powder for about 5 days. I suggest checking the snow reports at Alta and Snowbird and checking  www.opensnow.com/dailysnow/skiutah

As for the condition of the snow, it was amazing. People on the lifts kept apologizing for the lack of powder when they heard that we're from Pittsburgh, to which I laughed uncontrollably. They have it good out there! Just ski everything, and consider hiring a guide for an afternoon from the Alf Engen Ski School. It's well worth it since the terrain can be challenging and not super well marked. My boys skied High Rustler aka High Boy, which is an iconic run out there. There is just so much to ski. We'll be going back. Have fun and please let us know how it goes!

(I HIGHLY recommend staying at the Rustler, it was on the pricier side for us, but we had the best ski experience of our lives there) 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 27, 2019 (edited December 27, 2019)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I know more about Snowbird than Alta, 50 days vs. 5 days at each.  Here's a report from 2017 on a fun and snowy week at Snowbird:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1526

At Snowbird, on a clear day you have to get back into Mineral Basin.  There can be significant lift lines there on good days, so it's best to hit it early or late.  The locals say MB is for tourists, but the views southward from the top of Baldy chair towards Mt. Timpanogos are pretty special. 

The best tree skiing is off the Gad 2 and Gadzoom chairs on the front side of the mtn.  This is also the best area to ski on low vis days. 

For advanced skiers you should try to ski some of the Cirque, get there by taking tram and Cirque traverse, then you'll have a long ridge and you can ski off it to the right into the Cirque (Great Scott, etc) or left into Gad Valley terrain.

This shot is from cirque traverse near drop-in to Great Scott, which patroler is checking out:

Middle Cirque:

If you follow Cirque traverse a bit further along and drop in to the skier's left you can ski terrain that is a mix of trees and open slopes like Wilbere Bowl:

The Snowbird summit restaurant is rather pricey, but worth experiencing at least once.  If it's crowded you can take your food in the elevator upstairs where there are often open tables.

Here's a photo from High Rustler trail at Alta (mentioned by Lost Time in above post)

There is a nice area of hike-to advanced skiing at Alta by walking looker's left off the Supreme chair, it's called Catherine's.  It ranges from dark blue to double black and the hike/walk is not bad at all.

Catherines area;

Though I don't have as many days at Alta, I'd be the first to admit it's a magnificent ski area:

The layout at Alta is friendlier for intermediates than Snowbird too.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2019 (edited December 27, 2019)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wojo wrote:

Anyone going next week?  Would love to hear about it.  Anyone have any must do hints?

The Christmas storm left 16 inches at Alta, 5-6 inches each day.  Evan of OpenSnow was very happy at how it skied.

I know Alta a lot better than Snowbird.  Solitude is worth a day if up for Honeycomb Canyon.  Note that you have to pay for parking at Solitude but can take the UTA Ski Bus to Solitude for free using Ikon.  Brighton has night skiing, which could be fun for someone who likes terrain parks.

If you want to ski off the High T or other more challenging terrain, consider the Alta Adult Mountain Workshop.  About $100 for 2.5 hours with a very experienced Alta instructor.  But it's not really a lesson.  It's a small group experience where you can ask for tips about technique.  They bring 3 instructors to the meeting point at Watson's.  Can break up into three different levels, sometimes by a ski off.  Experts who can ski anything just take off with an instructor.

How many ski days will you have?  What ability level(s)?  Staying in the city?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

For more than you need to know for a few days skiing at Alta:

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta/ski-and-terrain

I provided the core info for the Self-Guided Tours.  The best view of the terrain off the High T is from the Wildcat lift.  I've taken friends who were cautious intermediates up that lift just for the view.  Can take Aggie's Alley towards Watson's and load at the Collins mid-station to head back to the Sugarloaf side if they don't want to ski Corkscrew to the Wildcat base.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 28, 2019
2,963 posts

wojo wrote:

I think conditions are pretty good.  This was sent by family member in UT, taken today 28 Dec 2019:

eggraid
January 2, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

JimK wrote:

wojo wrote:

I think conditions are pretty good.  This was sent by family member in UT, taken today 28 Dec 2019:

Wow, that is just an awesome picture!!! An underrated perspective for sure. I guess if you're going to be the camera person, you better either have a big telephoto lens or REALLY trust your subject's turning ability.

UintaTerp
January 5, 2020
Member since 11/21/2019 🔗
5 posts

Sorry that this post is too late for the original poster, hopefully it can help others.   

Lived in Howard County, MD most of my adult life and moved to Utah last year.  I near the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon and logged in 55 days last year in Utah.

Here's what you need to know. 

LCC:  Pros:  Slightly more snow, more vert, more terrain.   Cons:  More crowds, road closures and traffic

BCC:  Pros: Less crowds, better bus service, less prone to road closures, both resorts allow boarders (if that's a factor)  Cons:  Less terrain variety, less vert. 

Personally, on most days I'll take BCC due to the lack of crowds.  Yeah Alta might get 10" overnight while Solitude only gets 7" but what good is that 10" if you're stuck in lift-lines all day.  Solitude and Brighton (and Brighton skis much bigger than what it is) simply don't get as crowded and that's worth a lot to me.  Be aware that Solitude is charing for parking this year but they've increased the ski bus to run every 15 minutes.

Lastly if you are not staying up at the resorts, be aware that if on a powder day they close LCC for any amount of time that traffic will FUBAR.  Be prepared for a 20 minute drive to take well over an hour.  If taking the ski bus up to BCC it is a good idea to drive a few miles down Ft. Union Blvd to the Midvale Trax station where the route starts so as to secure a seat.  

wojo
January 6, 2020
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

UintaTerp nailed his descriptions and advice, went last week as a third trip.  Lots of traffic on pow-pow days (3 of 5 for me).  Hit all of the Cottonwood resorts and Snowbird twice.  There was slightly less than a foot on New Years day at Solitude and a about 2 feet at Snowbird the next day. We had lots of leftovers at Brighton on Friday too.  I was able to introduce 3 to the joys of powder runs down double blacks that felt backcountry but weren't. 

Stayed here - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/30501966?source_impression_id=p3_1578306871_l9CgNbQvL48YpV3V.

Had 8, could have had up to 10 or 12, owner was wonderful and house was on a return bus stop with a up to the hill bus stop 1 block away.  Great access for the Bird and Alta, used Uber/bus combo for Solitude and Brighton.  I hear they are getting more snow this week.  Drop everything and go folks.  It was a great trip, but schedule a down day to rest.

UintaTerp wrote:

Sorry that this post is too late for the original poster, hopefully it can help others.   

Lived in Howard County, MD most of my adult life and moved to Utah last year.  I near the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon and logged in 55 days last year in Utah.

Here's what you need to know. 

LCC:  Pros:  Slightly more snow, more vert, more terrain.   Cons:  More crowds, road closures and traffic

BCC:  Pros: Less crowds, better bus service, less prone to road closures, both resorts allow boarders (if that's a factor)  Cons:  Less terrain variety, less vert. 

Personally, on most days I'll take BCC due to the lack of crowds.  Yeah Alta might get 10" overnight while Solitude only gets 7" but what good is that 10" if you're stuck in lift-lines all day.  Solitude and Brighton (and Brighton skis much bigger than what it is) simply don't get as crowded and that's worth a lot to me.  Be aware that Solitude is charing for parking this year but they've increased the ski bus to run every 15 minutes.

Lastly if you are not staying up at the resorts, be aware that if on a powder day they close LCC for any amount of time that traffic will FUBAR.  Be prepared for a 20 minute drive to take well over an hour.  If taking the ski bus up to BCC it is a good idea to drive a few miles down Ft. Union Blvd to the Midvale Trax station where the route starts so as to secure a seat.  

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 6, 2020
2,963 posts

UintaTerp wrote: 

Go west young Terp!  I'm another Terp and going to follow you out there in a few weeks.

Nice digs Wojo. 

Muddytyres
January 7, 2020
Member since 03/26/2019 🔗
8 posts

Heading out the first week of Feb to Alta. Hope to take the adult workshop (might be above my intermediate east coast skill level though- but why not?)

Anyone stayed at the Goldminer's daughter or the Peruvian? I have a conference and the lodge is sold out but those two have rooms (ouch $$$)

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?