Pls Use Newer 2021 Perfect Gathering Thread for Comments 2021 Mid-Atlantic DCSki/PugSki Gathering
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2020 (edited February 13, 2020)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

The 2020 Laurel/7Springs Gathering is now glorious history. I would propose that the 2021 gathering be held at the NEW Perfect Timberline Ski Area in beautiful Canaan Valley WV!

I further propose we ask our two well known Gathermeisters, JimK and LaurelHillCrazy,  to take charge of the planning, as they have so ably done in the past.  Holding the gathering at Timberline not only will provide an opportunity to support the new owners and their multi improvements to the resort, but also allow for slopeside/near slopeside accommodations for an even more intimate meet-greet gathering.

I would anticipate that details will be a bit slower than normal emerging do to the necessity of following the Perfect Company announcements of specifics about improvements and timelines.

What say you?!!

MorganB aka The Colonel

JohnL
February 11, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Maybe two gatherings?

I really like Laurel Mountain when the natty snow is good. I don't think we should bypass LM when they need the business as much as a newly-opened TM will need it.

Just my two cents. And my T-Line bona fides cannot be questioned.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Speaking strictly for me, I'm not interested in hosting a T-line Gathering. I'll probably attend one there if someone organizes it. Better that a local take the lead. I'm not even sure if I'm interested in hosting another Laurel Gathering at this point. If the past 5 winters are the new norm and I think it is, I don't feel optimistic about enough people committing to be worth the effort and I don't want to be tied down to dates here if the skiing is good in New England. I'm not even sure I'm buying a local season pass because the winters are so uncertain here.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 12, 2020
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

LHC - this has been a depressing winter. Every time they get some snow made it rains. But I am not ready to throw in the towel yet. I had some good skiing over the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately, from what I understand, we don't have a La Ninya or a El Nino situation. We are 'neutral' and our weather pattern this year is the result. Last year, March was nice. Maybe again this year? 
Will climate change kill Mid-Atlantic skiing? I hope not and I will remain a strong supporter of of local ski industry. I really don't feel I have much of a choice at this point unless I pack up and move north. The weather pattern will change.

February 12, 2020
2,038 posts

Snowsmith, I hope you're right. I will probably get a Laurel only pass next season. 

Morgan, I appreciate the nomination. I think the new Timberline Mountain would again be a great venue for our Gatherings. I hope Blue Knob gets it together too and we can begin a rotation between the three.  

February 12, 2020
2,038 posts

Snowsmith, I hope you're right. I will probably get a Laurel only pass next season. 

Morgan, I appreciate the nomination. I think the new Timberline Mountain would again be a great venue for our Gatherings. I hope Blue Knob gets it together too and we can begin a rotation between the three.  

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2020 (edited February 12, 2020)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Vince and I just had a talk about this thread.  We empathize so strongly.  I've skied and enjoyed the mid-A for 50+ years and Vince recalls several mid-A winters as recently as 2013-2015, before he moved to Utah, when the seasons were pretty strong with nice early and late skiing.  Hopefully that cycle returns.

I kind of doubt I will be in the mid-A next winter at the normal time for a gathering, but won't rule it out completely.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 13, 2020 (edited February 13, 2020)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

JimK wrote:

Vince and I just had a talk about this thread.  We empathize so strongly.  I've skied and enjoyed the mid-A for 50+ years and Vince recalls several mid-A winters as recently as 2013-2015, before he moved to Utah, when the seasons were pretty strong with nice early and late skiing.  Hopefully that cycle returns.

I kind of doubt I will be in the mid-A next winter at the normal time for a gathering, but won't rule it out completely.

Thanks Jim for the sliver of hope that you will gathermeister a 2021 mid-Atlantic slopeside gathering at Timberline, even if it might be a bit earlier than norm to fit your schedule. We need to have faith in the Perfect team to have things ready for us next year!

OK DCSkiers, PUGSkiers, heck, anyone let's encourage JimK to organize the event, and encourage some of the TL regulars to offer to assist him!

"TIMBERLINE 2021...The PERFECT mid-Atlantic Gathering!"

MorganB aka The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?