customizing your helmet
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2021 (edited December 5, 2021)
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Granted, I haven't been on the slopes in almost two years, but I can't imagine this has changed much.

There is very little customization of snow sport helmets in the Mid-Atlantic. Now and then, I'll see somebody with a few stickers on their bucket, but nothing like you'd see on motor cycle helmets or hockey goalie helmets. It's mostly plain black helmets.

A decade ago, I started wearing a helmet and one of the first things I did was customize it. 1638731674_juojzkionpwo.jpg

Now, I suppose being a Penn State alum makes it easy for me to customize. Nevertheless, I still encourage others.

1638732091_djvjvdsvksmh.jpg

Naturally, I do it for my hockey helmet, which I wear when I'm playing broomball, too:
1638754571_ynjoikhanvdn.jpg\

Is anybody else out there going with a design on their helmet?

superguy
December 6, 2021
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Mental hat had some pretty cool hat and helmet covers, but they seem to have fallen off the Earth. The website is down and supposedly being rebuilt to reopen later, but nothing lately. I was hoping they would have opened for black Friday, but no dice.

No one has new product from them either. Only ones I can find are used on eBay and Poshmark. I picked up 4 this season so far: the haywire, a jester cap, a monkey head and a raccoon. 😄

Hopefully they come back. Their products www pretty unique. I had their Rasta Rag and I was very easy to find out there.

yellowsnow
December 6, 2021
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

Now, I suppose being a Penn State alum makes it easy for me to customize. 

Huh?

MarkRebuck
December 6, 2021
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts

I think he meant Penn State's uniforms are... "elegant in their simplicity", shall we say?  And therefore easy to decorate. Add a blue stripe to a white helmet and presto!

(Some would call them "boring", but I grew up in State College and went to Penn State, I'll go with "elegant in their simplicity" as the description, because it sounds better :-))

yellowsnow wrote:

wfyurasko wrote:

Now, I suppose being a Penn State alum makes it easy for me to customize. 

Huh?

Keith_Moon
December 6, 2021
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
As a Cowboys fan I appreciate Micah Parsons' number being on there.
Denvern61
December 7, 2021
Member since 11/11/2020 🔗
14 posts

Could be just a vent thing.  Today's helmets come with 1001 vents,  no real good area to place a sticker or whatever or folks just don't want to sticker a $200.00 helmet.  I like helmets with tons of stickers, does a few things....

1.  Great conversation starters in line....Hey, I grew up in xyz resort.....you a real Colorado native.....when was the last time you skied tucks or whatever.......
2.  Can help ID the locals,  stickers of drinking holes, ski shops etc.  Follow them to find the best lines or get over your head real fast....
3.  excuse to buy a new Hemet every few yrs.

👍

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2021 (edited December 7, 2021)
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

What @MarkRebuck said

@Keith_Moon Heh. I'm so old, that I associate 11 with Danny White.

@Denvern61 - hadn't thought of the "localz only" vibe. Stickers on helmets aren't even that common it seems.

I poked around and saw some other helmets

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?