4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2022 (edited March 14, 2022)
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Skiing: March 13, 2022 Massanutten recap

1647307686_ajyebsmnycmj.jpgMcGAHEYSVILLE, Va. — A late season winter storm a fairly spontaneous trip to Central Virginia's Massanutten Resort. Don't hate winter, use it!

Late season rates, mid-season conditions

Read more...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Thanks for the trip report.

Completely agree that I-66 to I-81 is the way to go from DC to Mnut.  My brother took US340 once when bringing his daughter to join me when she was a teen.  Only made that mistake once.  US340 is scenic but not good for a day trip of skiing.

Glad to hear the service at Powder Shack was good.

The advantage of having the black trails off a lift that starts mid-mountain is that beginners and cautious intermediates have no reason to ever ride the lift.  Makes a huge difference on weekends, especially holiday weekends.  Now that the Mid-Mountain Grill is open Fri-Mon and has indoor restrooms, an advanced skier can spend the entire day on the mountain and never wait in a lift line for more than a few chairs.

Were there any bumps left on Paradice?  Were a few left on the left, just after the flat section at the top.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

marzNC wrote:

Were there any bumps left on Paradice?  Were a few left on the left, just after the flat section at the top.

There were a few bumps left. I avoided them.

Mid-Mountain Grill was closed, but the facilities were open. In my two visits to Massanutten, I haven't been inside the lodge yet.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

marzNC wrote:

There were a few bumps left. I avoided them.

Mid-Mountain Grill was closed, but the facilities were open. In my two visits to Massanutten, I haven't been inside the lodge yet.

Ah, so they didn't groom them out.  Means there is plenty of base left at the top of Paradice, which is what I expected from what I experienced a week ago.  They groomed out Upper MakAttack.  Those bumps were relatively low after the meltdown in any case.

The lodge is nothing special.  Although the food has improved in recent years.  The umbrella bar is a fun place to sit for leisurely lunch.  What's changed for 2021-22 impacts the timeshare and property owners more.  The owners private section became the entire top floor in 2020-21.  It was completely renovated over the summer.  All new furniture, decor, and much bigger windows.

There is a room on the ground floor with free cubbies and paid lockers for people who prefer to boot up indoors.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?