Best skiing under 3 hrs from DC? Families
14 posts
11 users
3k+ views
cbyrne0609
January 1, 2023
Member since 01/8/2019 🔗
17 posts

Hi!  Wanted to plan a trip over Super Bowl weekend to ski. Any good spots under 3 hrs away from DC that you’d suggest for families? The one thing is we’d like a house that sleeps 30, which I find is usually really hard to find. 

We did Poconos last year which was ok, but looking for something a little nicer if possible! Not familiar with the local spots besides there and Snowshoe (although that’s too far for us, but liked it a lot). We are traveling with kids 6-12 years old that would do ski school as well.

Any feedback would be super helpful!

snapdragon
January 1, 2023
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
timberline or canaan valley wv...either ski hill...30 is a lot for one house...get two
Keith_Moon
January 2, 2023
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
Suck it up and go to Snowshoe,
imp - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2023
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
there is 1 really big rental at timberline, I forget the name and do not know who rents it out was caanan reality long ago
Grumpy dad
January 4, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

According to the googles, 7S is 3:30min from DC while Snowshoe is a little over 4.  Now we all know that Google lies about just about everything, so you can add about 25-30% travel time to both of those times potentially (at least in my experience, I add 10% if driving solo or 20% if driving with family if not more)

There are some properties that could house a LARGE group of people around 7S, BUT you'd need to check around of what might be available at this time via AirBnB and VRBO.  Otherwise, consider putting 4 per room at the lodge at 7S and ask for rooms close together possibly.  

dukegrad96
January 5, 2023
Member since 10/21/2020 🔗
24 posts

The biggest rentals are going to be at Deep Creek. There are some huge homes there although you may not be ski in ski out. I might get two ski in ski out or one on mountain and one on lake?

check out:

https://www.deepcreekvacations.com/wisp-ski-resort-lodging

superguy
January 9, 2023
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Check out the Seven Springs Friends group on Facebook.  A lot of locals on there, many of which are property owners that rent out their condos. You may be able to find a few that are at least close if you can't find a big one.

Nice thing there is you could have access to both 7S and HV.  HV is more chill and family friendly while 7S is more rambunctious. You have options for everyone that way. 

Rustic313
3 months ago
Member since 01/2/2024 🔗
2 posts

Both of my recommendations are JUST over three hours. But both are way better IMO than the closer locations.

#1 IMO, Timberline.  They have over 1K of vert, the new owners have made great investments in snow making/lift infrastructure/lodge, and there's a good variety of terrain.   Timberline also has the Canaan Valley State Park nearby which has winter RV camping, a hotel, ice skating, a pool, food, etc.  Finally, Canaan Valley is nearby to mix it up and they're on Indy Pass.

Downsides of Timberline:  Pass access (its not on Indy/Epic/Ikon pass, and its not the cheapest), drive (WV roads are a bit squirrely), and price.  If you don't stay at the State Park there are a number of AirBnBs; there's the small town of Davis; that's about it.  Can get crowded -- only two lifts.

#2:  Runner up, and most cost effective (at least for Epic pass holders) is SW PA -- 7 Springs/Hidden Valley/Laurel Mountain + Blue Knob.  The first three are all on Epic pass; Blue Knob gives a discounted day pass rate for anyone with any season pass anywhere.  Its an easy drive to access all three.  Lots of lodging options to include 7S/HV on-slope options, Ligonier, Somerset, and Boswell so you are more likely to be able to find what you're looking for at your desired price point.

- Hidden Valley:  Best for newer skiers with a decent mix of easier terrain.  Best snowmaking of all of the SW PA locations.

- 7 Springs:  Decent mix of terrain for all ability levels, plus ok terrain parks; Gunnar is good for advanced skiers; good apres scene and activities for non-skiers.  Can get crowded.

- Laurel Mountain:  A traditional and classic skier's mountain.  Lower Wildcat is the best terrain in the state and among the best in the mid-Atlantic for an advanced skier.  Nice long winding greens/easier blues.  Beautiful lodge.  Never crowded.

- Blue Knob:  In a good natural snow year, good mix of terrain.  Slow/older lift infrastructure.

For a multiday trip, especially if you own your own gear or rent from a third party vendor so you can bring it with you from place to place, you can mix it up:  Day 1 AM (HV), Day 1 PM (LM); Day 2 AM (LM), Day 2 PM (LM); Day 3 (Blue Knob or repeat your favorite).  That gives you access to more terrain than you'd get at Timberline to keep things fresh on a multiday trip.  We always bail to LM when the others get crowded.

For your group either could work.  If a decent number of folks have Epic Passes, or you need a larger number of lodging options, SW PA is a no-brainer.  If Epic Pass is not a factor, or your group is willing to spend a little more, and particularly if you want to get a block of rooms or campsites at the state park to take advantage of the amenities, Canaan Valley might work out well.

chaga
3 months ago
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Timberline is a no brainer! The jewel of the mid-atlantic gaurenteed primo ski conditions! 

Get two houses. Only one thats on lower dewdrop can sleep that many people that I know of. (but I also dont know it all!)  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

cbyrne0609 wrote:

Hi!  Wanted to plan a trip over Super Bowl weekend to ski. Any good spots under 3 hrs away from DC that you’d suggest for families? The one thing is we’d like a house that sleeps 30, which I find is usually really hard to find. 

We did Poconos last year which was ok, but looking for something a little nicer if possible! Not familiar with the local spots besides there and Snowshoe (although that’s too far for us, but liked it a lot). We are traveling with kids 6-12 years old that would do ski school as well.

Any feedback would be super helpful!

There are plenty of family groups who do annual ski long weekends at Massanutten, including multi-generational families who started the idea in the 1980s.  There are private homes for rent on the mountain.  You won't find one for 30 people but there are homes that sleep 10-15.

What type of trails do most of the group want to ski?  Pocono blues or blacks, or sticking to greens and early blues?

For ski in/out, Timberline makes the most sense.

RunBikeSwim
3 months ago
Member since 11/14/2023 🔗
6 posts
Hey folks--wondering if it will be safe to drive out to Whitetail from DC this afternoon?
snapdragon
3 months ago
346 posts
yes if you have four wheel drive and some winter driving skills...send it!
RunBikeSwim
2 months ago
Member since 11/14/2023 🔗
6 posts
what if i have winter driving skills but no 4wD?
snapdragon
2 months ago
346 posts
get some chains

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.