Montage - Elk trip: looking for ski rental and lodging recs
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 19, 2023
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
I'm planning on meeting a friend in Hershey and heading up to Northeast Pennsylvania on a Friday. We plan to ski Montage on Friday night and Elk on Saturday. We don't have our own skis; I have my own boots.

I'd like to either rent skis around Hershey or Scranton. If we were just doing Elk, we'd do one of the places between I-81 and the mountain, they have been good to us. 

What about hotels? Does anybody know of any with a good breakfast that's inclusive with the stay?
wgo
January 19, 2023
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I liked the Comfort Suites (a few miles from Montage) when I was there several years ago.
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
January 19, 2023
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

I like to stay at hotels in Clarks Summit.  Location is convenient to Montage and Elk.  There is a Wegmans in Clarks Summit.  It is a grocery store I'd splurge on getting unhealthy but yummy food on a road trip.  

I am planning to ski Elk in President's day weekend in Feb.   I already booked a Comfort Inn in Clarks Summit.  The hotel is basic but location is right off I-81.  It will be my 2nd time staying at that hotel, 3rd time skiing Elk.  

Elk is my favorite mtn. in Mid-A.  I prefer it over T'line and Blue Knob.  Hope you have a good trip.

Dafixison
January 20, 2023
Member since 01/30/2020 🔗
36 posts

We have done this itinerary a few times in the past. There is a Hampton Inn on the same exit for Montage off I-81. Nothing fancy but the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the hot breakfast in the morning isn't too bad either. There are plenty of restaurants nearby for dinner.

Elk is an easy 45min  away.

January 24, 2023
353 posts
A few days out and it looks like the several inches of freshies in NEPA are going to end with some rain. It'll be well-below freezing Wednesday and Thursday nights, so I'm hoping that rain will be a non-issue by Friday night. Right? I'm less worried about Elk than Montage. 

That being said, what can I expect two nights after rain? Is Montage likely to have groomed/blown enough snow to get us back to "packed power." It's been a rough season and I don't have a sense of the Montage snowmaking. I haven't skied there since college back in REDACTED. I'll say the name has changed a few times since then...

My friend's schedule may make Friday night a moot point OR we could always bail for somewhere else in the Poconos Friday night. Big Boulder would be a throwback for us since we took our college skiing class there. Or we could hit Camelback which historically had good snow ops and again, would be a homecoming.
January 29, 2023
353 posts
I did the Montage - Elk trip this weekend. I'll have blog posts up tomorrow morning. Good trip!
wojo
January 29, 2023
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

I did the Montage - Elk trip this weekend. I'll have blog posts up tomorrow morning. Good trip!

Anxious to hear your report.  RT, Elk, Montage is a nice road trip from the DC area.

January 30, 2023
353 posts

wojo wrote:

wfyurasko wrote:

Anxious to hear your report.  RT, Elk, Montage is a nice road trip from the DC area.

ICYMI on their standalone posts

Night skiing: Montage Mountain, January 27, 2023

Skiing: January 28, 2023 Elk Mountain

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.