Best local places with the best apres ski scene?
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
meredithb_14
January 21, 2023
Member since 12/13/2022 🔗
8 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions for local ski resorts with the best bar scene? Not looking for anything crazy just a nice bar to go to after skiing but a bit more than what Whitetail and Liberty offer. We originally wanted seven springs so we could go to foggy goggles but they are sold out for lodging the weekend we're looking for. Wisp or Massanutten?? Snowshoe is a bit too far for us. Thanks!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2023
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Massanutten now has three places serving drinks in the evenings at the main base.  There is an umbrella bar on the deck, a small bar in the front corner of the lodge that has a few tables as well as couches, and the original bar that has music on weekends.  On weekends, Lot 1 is usually full because people are hanging around the lodge.

Have you even been to Massanutten?  The resort hotel buildings on the mountain are more or less in walking distance of the lodge.  At least if not carrying skis.

meredithb_14
January 21, 2023
Member since 12/13/2022 🔗
8 posts
awesome, thanks for that info! i have been before but it has been a very long time so i dont quite remember. thanks again!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2023 (edited January 21, 2023)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

meredithb_14 wrote:

awesome, thanks for that info! i have been before but it has been a very long time so i dont quite remember. thanks again!

If you haven't been in the last five years, the set up at the base buildings at Massanutten has changed quite a bit for the better.  The ticket windows and the cafeteria are the same, but that's about it.  Even the ticket windows look different since there are not RFID ticket machines there.  If you buy tickets online, can just scan a barcode to get an RFID card.

If you buy a 2-day ticket, then night skiing is included.  Essentially instead of an 8-hour ticket, both days become 12-hour tickets (9am-9pm).  That was how it worked in up to 2019-20.  Now that capacity limits aren't the same type of issue and the RFID system is more developed, it's nice to have it back.  Especially on weekends.  Means it's possible to ski 9:00-12:00, take a longer lunch, and then ski 2:30 until whenever everyone is ready for dinner.  The lights come on around 4:00pm, which is also when a night skiing ticket starts.

chuck_wow
January 28, 2023
Member since 01/14/2023 🔗
54 posts

I too love the fuggy guggle. Great bar. I was there for MLK weekend and it was going strong.

The little bar at Liberty called McKees Tavern used to be cool as hell when they stayed open normal bar  hours. All the instructors and patrol would stop in for a few beers. My couple of visits this year makes me think that bar is kinda on its death bed. Now the Liberty spot is Taverna which is off Liberty property pretty much at the end of their drive on the main road. Good food. Cheap beer and specials. Ski vibe plus locals. Food is excellent and not ski hill priced.

That one bar at Roundtop is alright. But it has nothing on the roundttop parking lot scene on a sunny Saturday late in the season. That's some good shit. And the price is right.

Whitetail got their liquor thing but....

Please tell me what y'all know. I've been dormant for a few years.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.