Teton Pass road major failure between Jackson and Victor/Driggs early June 2024
7 posts
2 users
2k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,272 posts

The road between Jackson, WY, and Victor/Driggs, ID was under repair after mud slides when an entire section failed completely.  It will take a long time for the road to re-open.  That changes the commute for people who live in ID and work around Jackson from 30 minutes to 90 minutes.  Not good.

Large chunk of Teton Pass road collapses in Wyoming - June 9, 2024

Scott - DCSki Editor
one month ago
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
I saw that.  Wow.  I've driven along that pass many times and I don't think there are any easy detours.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
3,272 posts
I know a couple who moved to Victor from PA a while back.  His primary work is carpentry on fancy houses in Jackson.  She can do her work from home most of the time but still needs to go into Jackson every so often.  They only ski Grand Targhee.  Not being able to drive across Teton Pass for months is going to be very tough.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago (edited one month ago)
3,272 posts

Here's a thorough update from local WY sources, which includes a video of the area taken by a drone.  A temporary bypass is in the works but there is no timeframe yet.

Everything you need to know about the Teton Pass closure - June 10, 2024

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
3,272 posts

Sounds like a temporary road to get around the slide area in Teton Pass will be open by July.

Teton Pass update: Progress on detour, mudslide containment - June 19, 2024

Teton Pass Could Be Paved And Re-Open By Middle Of Next Week - June 18, 2024

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
3,272 posts

Work on the temporary fix for the Teton Pass highway is clearly not stopping on weekends.  Cyclists and hikers were asked to avoid the area June 22-23 because of construction truck traffic.  Wyoming state funds and federal emergency funding will help pay for the detour and a more permanent solution.  Work has continued on the another area that was a problem due to mud slides in early June.

Cyclists asked to stay off Teton Pass road this weekend - June 21, 2024

WYDOT Issues Update on New Teton Pass Temporary Detour, Reopening and More - June 20, 2024

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
27 days ago
3,272 posts

The detour for getting across Teton Pass opened on Friday, June 28.  Creating it took three weeks.  The detour has a speed limit of 20 mph.

UPDATED: Teton Pass opens, 12:01 p.m. Friday - Jackson Hole News & Guide, June 28, 2024

Teton Pass Reopens To Wydaho Commuters - Powder, June 28, 204

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?