Weekend
20 posts
9 users
4k+ views
langleyskier
December 7, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
So it looks like just about every resort made a substantial amount of snow this past weekend. Question now is if resorts will make a push and open for the weekend. I'm thinking that both thursday and friday will be prime for full days of snowmaking (along with saturday/maybe sunday) so I see no reason why any resort puting in the effort should have at least a few top to bottom trails open by the weeeknd.

I know a lot of people on the board are connected to local resorts.. anyone hear any whispers about openings?? Im waiting to hear from Tussey, I think they will make a go for saturday skiing.
jimmy
December 7, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Langley, Timberline opening mid-station down Saturday Sunday 12/12-13, closed Monday for snowmaking and reopening Thursday the 17th hopefully with ~significant~ terrain.

Their webcam is up. Sounds like they expect the weather to get shiddy this week, good snowmaking all next week. Can you do something about the weather wed, thur?
langleyskier
December 7, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Wish I could. I'm just hoping that the wed storm is a net 0 in terms of base/snowfall, meaning that the snowfall/ice tuesday night is enough to counter the rain that follows. If we do get enough ice, although it will be a pain, it will ensure that the rain does not permeate into the freshly made snow and runs off better than it otherwise would.

The period of thurs-sunday looks great in terms of snowmaking. Should be plenty cold to run guns 24 hrs per day, with high volume snowmaking at night, almost everywhere and there exists the possibility for some more snow for DC and resorts this coming weekend. Hopefully following week will remain cold but thats still very far off and models are all over the place.

Like I said, I consider it a failure on the part of a resort if they are unable to open by this weekend.
JohnL
December 7, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Timberline opening mid-station down Saturday Sunday 12/12-13

Nothing from the top this weekend?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
David
December 7, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Quote:
Timberline opening mid-station down Saturday Sunday 12/12-13

Nothing from the top this weekend?

They're saying Wood's Hole and maybe White Out...
JohnL
December 7, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
They're saying Wood's Hole and maybe White Out...

Who's they? Ski school contacts?

Couldn't find anything on their web site. (Tucker prolly got a good laugh at the last statement.)
David
December 7, 2009
2,444 posts
A friend of a friend who knows a guy.
skiobsessed
December 7, 2009
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
My buddies and I also decided to make a day-trip to Snowshoe yesterday. We drove 10 hours to ski 4, but it was worth every penny/minute!

It was my first time at Snowshoe and I liked the village they have at the top of the mountain. The runs were long, even though they only had 11 trails open. I was pleasantly surprised to see no lines at the resort at all. I'd love to go back, but this time when more terrain is open and for a whole weekend!
Tucker
December 7, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
(Tucker prolly got a good laugh at the last statement.)

forget the Monday morning/armchair quarterback comment...put me in coach I'm ready to play...
kwillg6
December 8, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
can't beleave u guys have never met the all knowing one called "they." 'They" sez and "they" go. "they" eat and "they" drink. "they" know everything too. wink
kwillg6
December 8, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
in all seriousness now, if what "they" say is accurate bout the weather and lake effects and up sloping after this storm passes, we might have some major pow-pow to use up. Problem may be getting to it. frown
jimmy
December 8, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
The Wisp and Seven Springs are opening THURSDAY. I'm not sure if I should risk my bases on the thin base they must have in PA & MD or WAIT til SATURDAY to go ski TL from the MIDSTATION on the thicker base, hopefully, on SATURDAY?? I don't know what to do what do you all think? Maybe the snowmakeing weather was just so much better at 2800' than 4100?
David
December 8, 2009
2,444 posts
Snowshoe's base is purty schweet...
jimmy
December 8, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Let's see, if I ski Friday at Sevensprings it will cost me no more than $34, Wisp is $32, I suppose lift tickeys are free on Thursday, Friday at TL because theres no liftlift. White grass is $20??, Snowshoe per their website is $55. Those all sound like better choices than free, D. j
langleyskier
December 8, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Wisp at least will have a very good base. Look at the cams now, can see some good size whales.
fishnski
December 8, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
in all seriousness now, if what "they" say is accurate bout the weather and lake effects and up sloping after this storm passes, we might have some major pow-pow to use up. Problem may be getting to it. frown

We have not had a good Upslope,LE yet & this storms passing doesn't look good either...Cold air for sure but for those who don't know how the WV Alpps roll, the backside wind Direction has to come out of the NW...looks to be more westerly or S westerly this go around which is not good...Hope "They" know something I don't!
langleyskier
December 10, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
looks like most places WILL be open this weekend! Get out and skiiiii!
Murphy
December 10, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Rumor have it that Winterplace might not open. They lost power yesterday in the ice storm and are still without it. Unfortunately, they update their website bi-monthly so it's hard to know what's happening.
fishnski
December 10, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The Only reason that I post any Weather stuff here is because NWS & all the other Generics just don't pinpoint enough or are just so slow to react to new info..I don't know..maybe 3 or 4 days ago? the models were trending to a warmer type of weather system for us for this weekend but NWS finally wakes up yesterday! I kept my mouth shut because I don't like to post weather stuff inside a NWS window(who needs Rookies like me then?). Its not that big a deal since Sat should be fine weather wise with the mix to wet stuff for Sun but its just the point that we could do better in WX F-casting....Don't you all think its Stupid when the Front is thru say at 6pm..but the NWS is still calling for a tornado watch till 10pm???
langleyskier
December 11, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
The Only reason that I post any Weather stuff here is because NWS & all the other Generics just don't pinpoint enough or are just so slow to react to new info..I don't know..maybe 3 or 4 days ago? the models were trending to a warmer type of weather system for us for this weekend but NWS finally wakes up yesterday! I kept my mouth shut because I don't like to post weather stuff inside a NWS window(who needs Rookies like me then?). Its not that big a deal since Sat should be fine weather wise with the mix to wet stuff for Sun but its just the point that we could do better in WX F-casting....Don't you all think its Stupid when the Front is thru say at 6pm..but the NWS is still calling for a tornado watch till 10pm???

Si Senior.... its gonna rain, unfortunately maybe a lot

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.