How was Whitetail/Liberty this past weekend?
6 posts
5 users
3k+ views
JohnL
January 17, 2000
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Anyone make it to Whitetail/Liberty this past three-day weekend? (Only two days for some of us.) I'm very curious as to how long were the lift lines and how crowded were the blue/black slopes?

The lack of open terrain with the possibility of holiday crowds persuaded me to not go (skiing at 8:30 on a Sat or Sun morning is not an option for those of us who are still single). It seems to me that Whitetail is continuing its frustrating habit of recent years of not opening up much terrrain in a timely manner.

Otto
January 17, 2000
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
For a holiday weekend, it was not that crowded. The backside lift lines were not that bad, but the lack of available trail space was apparent. The snow was good both days during the day, but got real HARD when the sun went down on Sun.
chuckie
January 18, 2000
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
I live at LIBERTY!

Liberty was a bit crowded on SATURDAY. Liberty was hosting the SUNFIRE SNOJAM, so I think it was responsible for attracting more mooks than usual. The odd thing was that the backside lifts never had lines. Thanks to the weather they have been making snow like crazy and have 12 runs open now! I think the extra runs will help to reduce the glut of folks in the lift lines. I also think folks were avoiding some of the backside runs due to the blowing snow (Witney's was terrible).

The SNOJAM stuff was pretty disappointing, I was realy hoping for a bikini contest!

chuckie

Jim
January 18, 2000
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Chuckie - bikini contest? Good luck getting any woman to go that bare with the weather we were having!! Conditions at Liberty were pretty good during the day, especially in the morning. Towards the afternoon, the middle of the trails were getting scraped down (as usual) and the best snow was on the edge of the trails. After dark, the snow turned into "Eastern hardpack" (i.e., ICE!). Very slick - make sure you have SHARP edges.

From what I hear, the reason Whitetail has not opened more terrain is because warmer weather has hampered snowmaking out there. More so than at Liberty. BTW, latest rumor is that Eastwind and Alpine over at Liberty will be open this week.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 20, 2000
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Bikini contest?!!!?!!! Would you be amenable parading around in Speedos for the amusement of the female contingent at the resort?

Those days are and should be long gone. Perhaps the few remaining ladies at 14th and H could help you in your endeavors.

Otto
January 20, 2000
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Wow.... Harsh-o-rama. Wasn't this thread about Liberty?

Anyway, bikini contest or not, Liberty should be awesome this weekend.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?