"Buried" on Netflix
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
needawax
5 months ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
36 posts
Just watched a new addition on Netflix, "Buried," which covered the Alpine Meadows avalanche tragedy in 1982.  I was just a young lad back then, learning to ski at Boyce Park, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain, and Seven Springs.  Really interesting, sobering, and somber documentary, if a little too "dramatized."  Also seems like avalanche control has come a long way since '82.   There hasn't been a lot of ski-related content on Netflix for a few years now, so worth a watch. 
Shotmaker
5 months ago (edited 5 months ago)
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts
Was skiing that day at what was Sierra Ski Ranch. There were only a few resorts open around the lake. I remember some fantastic deep powder in the trees.  Had a couple good friends with me who somehow managed to get to SLT that week. Will always remember the sad news of the event that day. The survivor story is a testament of our will to survive. 

Had a pass at Kirkwood that year which was impossible to get to as they reported roughly 20’ of snow over the 10 day storm and a record 780” that year. Alpine opened their resort to all pass holders later that spring as a way of saying “thank you” to the Tahoe community for their help and support with the tragic loss of life. 
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
Watched it as well.  Some interesting characters from back in the day.  

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.