2024-25 Multi-resort pass (Epic, Ikon, MCP, Indy) or a resort season pass? Or both?
17 posts
10 users
1k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
16 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,255 posts
Now that it’s May, the deadline for the lowest prices for some multi-resort passes and resort season passes has come and gone.  Did you buy a multi-resort pass already?  If not, what are you considering?  Do you intend to get a local season pass?

Indy sales ended after a week in early March.  Wisp and Wintergreen were added for 2024-25.  That means people in DC/NoVA with Indy have five locations within easy driving distance: Wintergreen, Massanutten, Bryce, Canaan Valley, Wisp.  Also some locations in PA, including Blue Knob and Montage.  White Grass is on the Indy XC pass, as well as any Indy alpine pass.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
16 days ago
3,255 posts
Last season I went all the way with multi-resort passes.  I had Ikon, MCP, Epic, and Indy for 2023-24.  By May 2023 I had a plan for using them and did okay overall.  I did better than breakeven for Ikon and Epic.  Ended up using Indy for a couple less days than expected.  I used the MCP as expected for 5 days at two destination resorts plus covering some extra days at Alta in April (50% off).  Came out $75 per ski day for the four multi-resort passes.  I’ve had a few seasons when I got Ikon and/or MCP down to about $50/day.  Helps to be retired.

Best value was Epic for 10 days at $68/day, all in Colorado.  It was the first time I had Epic.  Bought it for a trip to Crested Butte.  Then figured out how to check out Epic resorts in Colorado as extensions for a couple ski trips (Dec, Mar).

I also had a Special Value Pass for Massanutten.  Did more trips than expected in Jan-Feb and came out $25/day.  I used Indy for two Saturdays at Mnut.

For the upcoming season, 2024-25, I’m taking a different approach.  Going to ski more days at a few of my favorite resorts.  Only multi-resort pass I’ll have will be Indy.  Will have a Full Pass for Massanutten, so got Indy as soon as renewals were possible for the Add-on price ($199).  Trips out west will mostly be to ski Alta or Taos.  Since I qualify for senior passes, I going with an Alta pass and a Taos pass.  Not the premium versions since I don’t need to ski on holidays.  The Alta senior pass includes reciprocal 50% off for lift tickets at MCP resorts, plus a midweek (M-Thu) day at Snowbird, Brighton, and Deer Valley.
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
15 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,581 posts

I've been an Ikon owner since day one and sprinkled in local Epic over the past 2 years. For 24 - 25, I switched to Unlimited Epic and a Snowshoe Creek and Midweek pass.

Money was one factor. Unlimited Epic was 561 with the military discount. The SS midweek pass was 199. That's less than I paid for Ikon alone in 23 - 24.

Our gang wants to do the Vail, Beaver Creek and Keystone next year (maybe 2X) so Epic makes sense. Plus it allows me day trips to 7S, HV and LM if we have actual snow.

I still have many ties to SS and have zero interest in fighting the crowds on weekends. If I can manage 6 days at the shoe, I can live with the 199.

Being retired did not help my ski days. I spent 2 weeks in FL in January 2024. That may increase in 2025. 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
15 days ago (edited 15 days ago)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,972 posts

I have until early June to decide and will probably do same I've done the last few years:  Snowbird senior pass and a cheap Ikon base pass add-on.  It comes to about $1200-1300 and lately I've got my daily average cost under $20.  A new twist for me this season has been getting six free days at a couple of places (Massanutten and Monarch) that only charge minimal admin fees for 70 year olds.

I like the variety the Ikon base gives me, but a big flaw in my situation is that I live 20 mins from Alta in wintertime and technically only get one free day there with my passes :-( 

I joke with friends that if I hang in there I'll get unlimited Alta days in ten years.  They joke back at me that by then the free age at Alta will be raised from 80 to 90 :-o

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
wgo
15 days ago
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
Opted for 4 day epic passes for me and my son. We will use them for our trip out west during his spring break. Locally I will get a Mnut special value pass.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
12 days ago
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,987 posts
Timberline Gold pass and that’s it. I only skied Timberline last season (too many days to count) plus five days at Snowbasin. The five midweek day passes that I purchased a week in advance at Snowbasin were cheaper than any pass offerings (Ikon Base +, etc.). Next season, I may ski Europe (Arosa-Lenzerheide) or Grand Targhee (not on Epic or Ikon) or Tamarack and Brundage (not on Epic or Ikon) or head back to Snowbasin. It all depends on snow and weather. As you can see, I am in search of empty slopes and good snow—hence I am trying to avoid Epic and Ikon mountains (except Snowbasin, which offers limited days for Ikon and Ikon Base Plus). Lately, Utah has been unbeatable for snow and weather and ease of access (direct flights). That could change next season, but it could remain the same.
padjaski68
12 days ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
98 posts

Opted out of Epic this year. Secured the T-line and CV passes. Ski early and often is the motto this coming year. Yes I might miss the idea of skiing close at WT, Liberty and Roundtop but opening late December and sometimes January isn't in the cards. 

Plus I loved skiing T-Line it reminds of NE skiing. 

padjaski68
12 days ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
98 posts

Opted out of Epic this year. Secured the T-line and CV passes. Ski early and often is the motto this coming year. Yes I might miss the idea of skiing close at WT, Liberty and Roundtop but opening late December and sometimes January isn't in the cards. 

Plus I loved skiing T-Line it reminds of NE skiing. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
9 days ago
3,255 posts

Looks like the lowest price for the MCP and the bonus day go away in about a week.  MCP website countdown clock shows 6 days left as of May 7.

For 2024-25, the $30 renewal discount is good until the MCP goes off sale.  That usually happens by mid-December.

snapdragon
8 days ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
347 posts
damn...tryin to keep track of all the lift pass wheelios and dealios is like shootin at pennies with a rusty daisy bb gun at 50 yards...eye'll sea yew at the line...droppin dew like we dew...yew! 
jimw
8 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
115 posts
I bought the Snowshoe pass this year instead of the Ikon.  I'm getting ready to buy the MCP but can't decide if my third day will be at Jackson or at Targhee. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
8 days ago (edited 8 days ago)
3,255 posts

jimw wrote:

I bought the Snowshoe pass this year instead of the Ikon.  I'm getting ready to buy the MCP but can't decide if my third day will be at Jackson or at Targhee. 

You can change the resort for the bonus day later by sending an email.  I've done that a couple times.  Used to be had to decide before sales ended in mid-December.  But now can do it any time.  It's noted in the FAQs.

My March 2024 trip to GT was supposed to include skiing Fri, Sat, Sun.  But GT never opened on Sat.  I sent an email just for fun asking to change to Alta for my late season trip.  Get a reply approving the change within a day.

jimw
7 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
115 posts
Sweet!  Thanks for the heads up.  Just purchased the MCP for the first time vs the Ikon.
erdz
7 days ago
Member since 07/17/2016 🔗
7 posts
Here is another pass i just found that seems really good if you 70 years old. Loveland (Co), with 3 days at many associated areas. $179
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
6 days ago
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
170 posts

jimw wrote:

Sweet!  Thanks for the heads up.  Just purchased the MCP for the first time vs the Ikon.

You cannot change 3rd bonus day too late....  My recollection, MCP submits your 3rd bonus day to resorts sometime after the offer ends.  

After it is submitted, you can't make change.  I've changed my 3rd bonus couple times and I remembered I did that in ingSept (bought MCP in March/April).  

If you want to be sure, I'd suggest sending an email to MCP or call to find out when is the drop dead date you can make changes. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
6 days ago
3,255 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

jimw wrote:

You cannot change 3rd bonus day too late....  My recollection, MCP submits your 3rd bonus day to resorts sometime after the offer ends.  

After it is submitted, you can't make change.  I've changed my 3rd bonus couple times and I remembered I did that in ingSept (bought MCP in March/April).  

If you want to be sure, I'd suggest sending an email to MCP or call to find out when is the drop dead date you can make changes. 

That was the case before but now it's possible to make a change after MCP sales have ended.

I requested a change via email from GT to Alta during my March 2024 trip because GT didn't open the second day we planned to ski.  The reply was prompt and the change was made without any hassle.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
2 days ago
3,255 posts
The prices for the MCP went to $629 Adult 19+, $509 Teen (13-18), $229 Child as of May 14.  No more bonus day.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?