Improvements In Mid-A Slopes for Next Season??
76 posts
32 users
8k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 22, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Anybody heard rumors or facts?  Will Snowshoe replace Ballhooter quad with a 6 pack?  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 22, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

For 2014-15, Massanutten will have a brand new building for snowsports.  Slopesliders, the children's ski/board program, will move over from the bottom floor of the lodge building.  There will also be space for the instructors.  The ground floor of the lodge will be renovated to provide public space as well as another food option.

rbrtlav
April 24, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Liberty is redoing the old lodge, looks like it has already been knocked down. I have a feeling this will have a limited impact on skiing tho.

I saw this on whitetail's facebook page. It'd be nice of ther terrain park was on new terrain. But at the very least it looks like we are getting some more snowmaking upgrades!

"Work has begun on our Capital Improvement Projects for the 2014-2015 Winter Season...I can't tell you all we will be doing just yet; but one major improvement will make our park riders very happy! Upper and Lower Angel Drop trails are getting all new, fully automated snowmaking! The original Wizard fan guns that have served us well since 1991 are coming down today!"

Tucker
June 19, 2014
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts

Do any of the columnist, resort reporters, or anyone know what the "major improvements" timberline is advertising for this winter in their press releases are going to be? 

http://parsonsadvocate.com/timberline-four-seasons-resort-announces-exciting-upcoming-summer-season/#.U4dNUsTBe60.facebook

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
June 19, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Cat skiing.

Droogie
June 19, 2014
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

I want to know what Timberline is doing as well! 

Can they get their chairs to move at a faster speed? Can they improve snowmaking and get more aggressive? Will they maintain and expand the glades? 

June 19, 2014 (edited June 19, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Any "major" improvement should become obvious real soon as "major" improvements slope wise generally take time amid signs of construction equipment.  Regardless of past history, let's hope for the best!

Now if Snowshoe would only get to building the promised Basin High Speed Six Pack!?

SCWVA
June 19, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Tucker wrote:

Do any of the columnist, resort reporters, or anyone know what the "major improvements" timberline is advertising for this winter in their press releases are going to be?

http://parsonsadvocate.com/timberline-four-seasons-resort-announces-exciting-upcoming-summer-season/#.U4dNUsTBe60.facebook

I hear they plan on cleaning the restrooms twice a season.

scottyb
June 19, 2014
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

Tucker wrote:

Per the article

"As the 2014-2015 winter season approaches, skiers and snowboarders can also expect major improvements at the ski area, which will be announced later this summer."

About as abiguous as is possible.  I do like the idea of cleaning the rest rooms twice in a year, that would be 2 times more than last year?

I read where Crystal Mtn took down an old chair.  How much you wanna bet it makes its way to WV?

JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 19, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

scottyb wrote:

I read where Crystal Mtn took down an old chair.  How much you wanna bet it makes its way to WV?

The snowfarmers of WV are pretty good, but they could learn a lot from the Crystal Mtn, WA ski patrol on how to reposition some snow:-)

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/featured/20140312/video-raw-footage-of-avalanche-destroying-chair-lift-at-crystal-mountain-wa/

Norsk
June 19, 2014
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Tucker wrote:

I bet its a slopeside hotel and a zipline.  Plus maybe a new slope named Twister.

Tucker
June 21, 2014 (edited June 21, 2014)
893 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Any "major" improvement should become obvious real soon as "major" improvements slope wise generally take time amid signs of construction equipment.  Regardless of past history, let's hope for the best!

QFT.

Scott, do you have any intel or info on the advertised major improvements for skiers and boarders at tline?

David
June 21, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

jimmy wrote:

Cat skiing.

!!!!!

scottyb
June 22, 2014
559 posts

David wrote:

jimmy wrote:

Cat skiing.

!!!!!

Skiing on cats, I will need nu gear.

chaga
June 22, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

I understand Tline is/was a paid advertiser here, so negative talk is kind of taboo. However I am sorry to say that multiple credible sources of the "rumour on the streets" isn't sounding too good for the coming season which unfortunately in turn will have a negative impact on the economy of the valley in the winter. Maybe snowtime inc should come in and save the day? :)

scottyb
June 23, 2014
559 posts
Whitegrass North4tay Time for a mercy take over.
SCWVA
June 23, 2014
1,052 posts

chaga wrote:

..... Maybe snowtime inc should come in and save the day? :)

I'd rather see Tline shut down vs beig owned by Snowtime, Inc.  If Snowtime owned Tline, then prices would sky rocket and there would be no more tree skiing.  Just imagine a Courtesy Patrol member would be hiding out waiting for you to emerge from the trees in order to slash your ticket. 

rbrtlav
June 23, 2014 (edited June 23, 2014)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'd prefer snowtime not take it over... Mainly cause I feel like there would be years where all of the money that goes to the current 3 resorts would be going to bring the t-line lodge and lifts up to par with the other three resorts. 

I also don't see this being an issue as they seem to cater to the close to dc/Baltimore crowd

They cater to different crowds, and unless snowtime is really trying to expand footprint don't think we have to worry about this

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 23, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

SCWVA wrote:

chaga wrote:

I'd rather see Tline shut down vs beig owned by Snowtime, Inc.  If Snowtime owned Tline, then prices would sky rocket and there would be no more tree skiing.  Just imagine a Courtesy Patrol member would be hiding out waiting for you to emerge from the trees in order to slash your ticket. 

Benign neglect can be a good thing.  It's what made Mad River great.  Compare, for example, Snowshoe's attitude toward tree skiing with Timberline's.

Tucker
June 24, 2014 (edited June 24, 2014)
893 posts

"benign neglect"...like some kind of laissez faire business model...brilliant!!

scottyb
June 24, 2014 (edited June 24, 2014)
559 posts

Denis wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

chaga wrote:

Benign neglect can be a good thing.  It's what made Mad River great.  Compare, for example, Snowshoe's attitude toward tree skiing with Timberline's.

Are u suggesting a co-op?

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
June 24, 2014
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Snow time needs to deal with a lot different crowd than Tline. Wild youth and irreverent snowboarder hopped up on Light Beer is what they need to deal with. However, they have successfully run ski resorts in a challenging climate for 50 years. And they have always invested their profits back into the resorts. You would be lucky to have them run Tline.
FreshPow
June 25, 2014
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

snowsmith wrote:

However, they have successfully run ski resorts in a challenging climate for 50 years. And they have always invested their profits back into the resorts. You would be lucky to have them run Tline.

Agreed. In full disclosure, I wear a name tag at a Snowtime resort. But I attend refresher trainings each year with folks from other areas throughout the state and region. There are definite 'haves' and 'have nots'. Much fewer the 'haves'. Many resorts are in the Timberline position year after year. Granted, it's just one variable - but it's nice having an owner you don't have to worry about - and further outfits the hill with new snowguns and occasional terrain expansion. There are very few. Like one or two others. I'll stop kissing up. ;-)

As to Timberline fitting in the fold. I don't see it. But they really wanted Wisp. Two very dissimilar hills, but T-Line also a nearby 'destination' which may appeal as expansion to their existing day hill resorts. hmmm.. But let's learn the opportunity exists first.

Not arguing for/against. Just adding my insight. That is all.

rbrtlav
June 25, 2014 (edited June 25, 2014)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

After getting a season pass at the three resorts this year I agree 100% with what was said above. I would have loved to see liberty open the last weekend this year over whitetail...but to be honest the hills were empty the weekend before anyway. Just looking on Facebook at the summer updates you can tell the owners take pride in the resorts. And for the most part when I go there the snow is at least as good if not better than I would expect for the weather. You can tell they invest in the lodges as well as snowmaking and grooming to make up for a lack of vertical. I personally feel wisp has better snowmaking and a lodge than t-line and would have fit in with thier operations without huge up front cost. In order for the tline lodge, snowmaking, and lifts to be brought up to par with the other three resorts would require substantial investment. 

On a sidenote...tline has great vertical and beutiful location, just doesn't seem to fit a snow time plan

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
fishnski
June 29, 2014 (edited June 29, 2014)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
As far as my ass goes....I would just be grateful to get some padding on the orange chairs....and wouldnt it b nice to remove those head banging metal contraptions on the old Queen lift?....I wish they would have left it the way it was....closest thing we had to a gondola in the mid Atlantic!
June 29, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

The old Queen Lift,bought used from a SW Colorado resort, is the only chair I have used anywhere that I can remember where the "liftie" has to say "watch your head" when loading the chair.

scottyb
June 30, 2014
559 posts
Helmets mandatory, douche bag lawyer would have a field day with that one.
Droogie
July 29, 2014
76 posts

Has anybody heard anything concrete on improvements in the past month? I'm particularly interested in BK, CV and Timberline. 

crgildart
July 29, 2014
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

What ever happened or didn't with the Blue Knob mid station lift?  I didn't make it there last season.  Did it ever get repaired/replaced?

SCWVA
July 29, 2014
1,052 posts

I was checking out CV's webcam and it kind of looks like they are putting in a halfpipe.  :)

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
July 29, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

crgildart wrote:

What ever happened or didn't with the Blue Knob mid station lift?  I didn't make it there last season.  Did it ever get repaired/replaced?

It was open both times I was there in 2014 and based on a few pics and comments from others, it appears to be operable.

crgildart
July 29, 2014
767 posts

Thanks, we likely go there in February if it is the "chosen one"..

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
July 29, 2014
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Is that a nomination for Mid-Atlantic Gathering at Blue Knob weekend after Presidents Day? Do we have a second?

I cast provisional second. It is time to ffilp back but if you want to do Wintergreen, you'll have to do all the organizing.

crgildart
July 29, 2014
767 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Is that a nomination for Mid-Atlantic Gathering at Blue Knob weekend after Presidents Day? Do we have a second?

I cast provisional second. It is time to ffilp back but if you want to do Wintergreen, you'll have to do all the organizing.

Having it that close to home, 3 hours, takes all the road trip fun out of it for the kids.  Only problem I see with BK is the girl might not be able to ski Jackrabbit yet.  Not a deal breaker though.  I can send Chance of Snow off with the big boys and hike across over to Mambo with lil sis to get her up to speed.

JohnL
July 29, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Droogie wrote:

Has anybody heard anything concrete on improvements in the past month? I'm particularly interested in BK, CV and Timberline. 

Don't expect any concrete improvements at Timberline. I'm just hoping they open and I'm not out the $400 I paid for my season pass.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 30, 2014
3,246 posts

crgildart wrote:

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Having it that close to home, 3 hours, takes all the road trip fun out of it for the kids.  Only problem I see with BK is the girl might not be able to ski Jackrabbit yet.  Not a deal breaker though.  I can send Chance of Snow off with the big boys and hike across over to Mambo with lil sis to get her up to speed.

I would be much more interested in BK than Wintergreen.  Wintergreen on a weekend can still be pretty busy until March.  Plus it's even harder to have a mixed ability group than at BK.  Certainly not going to find the same type and price for on slope lodging either.

scootertig
July 30, 2014
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts

marzNC wrote:

I would be much more interested in BK than Wintergreen.  Wintergreen on a weekend can still be pretty busy until March.  Plus it's even harder to have a mixed ability group than at BK.  Certainly not going to find the same type and price for on slope lodging either.

I probably shouldn't chime in because odds are very slim that I'd make it anyway (weekend work schedules, etc), but the best days I've had skiing in the mid-Atlantic have all been at BK. Granted, I haven't been to Wintergreen in about 15 years, but BK is the only place I've been around here that makes me forget I'm around here, if you know what I mean.

Then again, Wintergreen *does* have Devil's Backbone within spitting distance. Best brews we've found near BK are a 15-20 minute drive, at Marzoni's.

crgildart
July 30, 2014 (edited July 30, 2014)
767 posts

BK over Wintergreen seems consensus for sure.  Now that the mid station lift is running again it would be neat to stay right there in one of those houses near the mid load and unload area.  The place off jackrabbit has always been OK too but anyplace close is cool. 

EDIT, Seven Springs would also be of interest, at least for the kids.  However, I suspect that slopeside accomidations there are probably not $reasonable$ enough for our purposes.

Droogie
July 30, 2014
76 posts

Zero chance I would consider Wintergreen or 7 Springs. Of course my opinion should not matter since I have never attended one of these events. 

wgo
July 31, 2014
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

The Wintergreen area does have a pretty good microbrew scene going, with Devil's Backbone and Blue Mountain Brewery. I guess someone will need to bring a six pack or three to BK.

Scott - DCSki Editor
August 20, 2014 (edited August 20, 2014)
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

I hate jumping in, but I asked folks earlier this summer not to traffic in potentially damaging rumors about local companies.  I have to repeat that guidance.  Spreading unfounded rumors can cause damage to people and companies and can invite lawsuits.  (Every reader is responsible for what they post.)

If there is a topic you would like me to investigate, send me a note and I'll work my sources to try and get to ground truth.  If and when there are relevant, verifiable facts to report, I will.  In the meantime, please leave that kind of speculation to topics like the weather.

(I had to remove a few posts above -- sorry to those whose posts were removed, but I hope you can understand the reasoning.)

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
August 20, 2014 (edited August 20, 2014)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

so....

Sugar mountain is on the DCSKI map, literally.  They are building a major new intermediate slope down skiers left of the mountain, along with snowmaking infrastructure.  Looks like you can catch it on the long distance web cams sometimes.  Pretty big news, actually.

Beech mountain is removing the old J-bar on the beginners slope, sadly, installing new guns, and renovating some of the lodge areas.  They have really made a lot of progress the last few years.

crgildart
August 20, 2014
767 posts

pagamony wrote:

so....

Sugar mountain is on the DCSKI map, literally.  They are building a major new intermediate slope down skiers left of the mountain, along with snowmaking infrastructure.  Looks like you can catch it on the long distance web cams sometimes.  Pretty big news, actually.

Beech mountain is removing the old J-bar on the beginners slope, sadly, installing new guns, and renovating some of the lodge areas.  They have really made a lot of progress the last few years.

Looks to me like they are cutting a trail between Swithback and Easy Street.

http://www.skisugar.com/trailmap/newslope.phtml

jimmy
August 21, 2014 (edited August 21, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Scott wrote:

I hate jumping in, but I asked folks earlier this summer not to traffic in potentially damaging rumors about local companies.  I have to repeat that guidance.  Spreading unfounded rumors can cause damage to people and companies and can invite lawsuits.  (Every reader is responsible for what they post.)

If there is a topic you would like me to investigate, send me a note and I'll work my sources to try and get to ground truth.  If and when there are relevant, verifiable facts to report, I will.  In the meantime, please leave that kind of speculation to topics like the weather.

(I had to remove a few posts above -- sorry to those whose posts were removed, but I hope you can understand the reasoning.)

It is your sandbox, but I would rather see you lock the thread than delete posts or blind edit your own. I know, that's not fair to the posters that are not offending whatever resort is getting offended, so whatever.

Scott you are correct that all these "rumors" about the mismanaged resort with a zipline in Tucker County WV are just that, rumors, until someone reads it in the paper. There were also lot of facts in those deleted posts, so whatever.  

Still waiting on the report of improvements for the upcoming season at the resort with a zipline in Tucker County WV.

TomH
August 21, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Jimmy sent you a PM but not showing up in my inbox.  If you don't get it can you drop me a note.

Scott - DCSki Editor
August 21, 2014
1,249 posts

jimmy wrote:

Scott wrote:

It is your sandbox, but I would rather see you lock the thread than delete posts or blind edit your own. I know, that's not fair to the posters that are not offending whatever resort is getting offended, so whatever.

Scott you are correct that all these "rumors" about the mismanaged resort with a zipline in Tucker County WV are just that, rumors, until someone reads it in the paper. There were also lot of facts in those deleted posts, so whatever.  

Still waiting on the report of improvements for the upcoming season at the resort with a zipline in Tucker County WV.

This isn't about a resort being offended.  I don't care whether DCSki offends resorts.  I do care whether unfounded rumors (malicious, innocent, or otherwise) might impact hundreds of homeowners, employees, etc.  I do care when readers post "facts" (as happened earlier this summer) that are not true.  I would prefer not to have DCSki readers dragged into defamation lawsuits.

Discussions about the pros and cons of a resort are fine.  Unfortunately, there were a few posts that were 99% OK but intertwined with the context of unfounded rumors, so leaving them would have been confusing.  The last thing I want to do is remove posts (and in 17 years I've rarely done that), but this is one of the few scenarios where it is necessary to.  Running DCSki takes a lot of my time and money, and I'm certainly not looking for more headaches in my life right now.

KeithT
August 21, 2014
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts

Scott, with all due respect, I think you are on a very slippery slope (no pun), but as Jimmy says "it is your sandbox."

You state:  "I do care whether unfounded rumors (malicious, innocent, or otherwise) might impact hundreds of homeowners, employees, etc."    Fair enough, but as a long time reader of this site, it raises some questions.

First, do have information that what was reported is "unfounded"?  The posters of that information are long time and loyal customers of that resort and many times defend that resort with all its quirks and problems.  What information do you have that makes thier information unfounded?

Second, does not the information (much of it unsupported or uncredited) about HV's woes or Laurel's status or Buncher, Nutting, etc. etc., potentially have the same possible negatibe impact to the resort and homeowners?  Indeed, the mere mention of a possible delayed opening or early closing each season could persuade someone not to rent a condo, make a planned trip, etc. impacting the resort, homeowners and possibly staff. 

I quess the point is we all could search the multitide of threads on your site and find many "unfounded rumors" that could have a negative impact on the resort and the homeowners.

crgildart
August 21, 2014 (edited August 21, 2014)
767 posts

"Word on the streets is..." that nowadays any negative comments about someone with deeper pockets than yours can get you sued even if you preface the comment with "I heard that" so as not to purport it as a 100% definite fact?  We do it about products all the time as well.  I'd like to think that any parties that feel offended or possibly harmed would chime in to defend their position on the matter.  Seems to happen quite a bit on other forums.. usually long before anyone sends threatening cease and desist orders.  If that's how it is though then I guess that is how it is.  On the other hand, not being able to share a little insight and personal observations is probably harmful to forums like this. 

Droogie
August 21, 2014
76 posts

Getting sued over stuff said on here that may or may not be rumours and could be facts? PPFFFFFFT give me a break. I really don't think this thread has put people's jobs in jeopardy or could lower a home value.   

Look at all the rumours openly discused on tetongravity, epicski, skisoutheast, alpinezone regarding various resorts and related businesses. There are also 1000's of other hobby and interest sites out there. I REALLY doubt any lawsuits are stemming from  those threads in the manner mentioned above.    

If someone came on here and asked where to go skiing on a given Saturday near Washington DC and someone on here says, "Don't go to resort xyz the snowmaking and grooming stink and they will have long lines,"  doesn't that potentially harm business especially when 10 other people chime in suggesting against the same place? There are dozens of instances where money was kept from being spent at one resort vs another based on recommendations here. Those recomendations are frequently based on preferences and perceptions and not objective fact.   

If a local resort is in financial straights so dire that a thread on the internet will be the straw that breaks the camel's back that leads them to closing, that resort was clearly going down anyway. If anything threads such as this may motivate a resort to put out a press release through their website, Facebook, Twitter, and local media detailing things like improvements, planned opening/closing dates, events, specials and general excitement for the rest of the summer and upcoming season.  

kwillg6
August 21, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

I've kept  silent since one of my posts was deleted but I do have serious financial investment in the area in question.  If those (meanoing resort or mountain management/owners)  do not want negativity or evidence of negativity to be discussed then they need to counter those observations with positive verifiable information for those of us who support them.  I can't see how discussion of what is can adversly impact the operations.  If anything it may prompt visible evidence to the contrary.  Do I want the place in question to go under?  Heck no!  I do want to hear positive happenings besides what is posted on a web site which says nothing of pending improvements, scheduled openings, etc...  The skiing public who spends their hard earned money there expects better.

Scott - DCSki Editor
August 21, 2014
1,249 posts

KeithT wrote:

Scott, with all due respect, I think you are on a very slippery slope (no pun), but as Jimmy says "it is your sandbox."

You state:  "I do care whether unfounded rumors (malicious, innocent, or otherwise) might impact hundreds of homeowners, employees, etc."    Fair enough, but as a long time reader of this site, it raises some questions.

First, do have information that what was reported is "unfounded"?  The posters of that information are long time and loyal customers of that resort and many times defend that resort with all its quirks and problems.  What information do you have that makes thier information unfounded?

Earlier this summer, some readers posted rumors that an area resort "hadn't paid their taxes" and "would not be opening this summer."  I checked with a state official and determined that the resort's taxes had been paid, and the resort opened for the summer as scheduled.  Those weren't only unfounded rumors, they were factually, demonstrably, incorrect.

Second, does not the information (much of it unsupported or uncredited) about HV's woes or Laurel's status or Buncher, Nutting, etc. etc., potentially have the same possible negatibe impact to the resort and homeowners?  Indeed, the mere mention of a possible delayed opening or early closing each season could persuade someone not to rent a condo, make a planned trip, etc. impacting the resort, homeowners and possibly staff. 

I quess the point is we all could search the multitide of threads on your site and find many "unfounded rumors" that could have a negative impact on the resort and the homeowners.

There has been inaccurate information posted about other resorts in the past, and when those inaccuracies were brought to my attention, I took appropriate action.  There have been past incidents where disgruntled employees have intentionally spread misinformation with the intent of harming their previous employer.  It's not unheard of for competitors to spread misinformation about their competition, too.  This is a tricky area, and it's not something I like to get involved in -- spirited and open discussion are important elements to a healthy on-line community.  But there are certain posts that set off my internal "detector" and cross the line.

There is a big difference between hypothesizing whether a resort will close early due to lack of snow, and whether a resort is shutting down.  There is a big difference between expressing personal opinions ("I think resort X needs to invest more in Z," "I felt I was treated rudely by lift attendants last weekend," or "I hope BigCorporation buys resort Y"), and reporting rumors as fact like "resort Q hasn't paid their taxes and won't be open this summer."

I haven't been contacted by a resort over this. I am exercising my own judgment, and I find it disrespectful and discouraging that some readers would second-guess my judgment.  Anyone is welcome to create their own web site, hire their own lawyers, and put their own assets at risk in order to support the spread of unsubstantiated and potentially damaging rumors.  Knock youself out!  But it's not fair for others to dictate what risk level they think I should feel comfortable with.  (And I suggest readers brush up on case law; forum posters can and have been sued for posting inaccurate information to public forums.)  I've poured thousands of hours and dollars into DCSki over the years, and have never drawn a salary.  I put together this site because I'm passionate about skiing and wanted to create a resource for other winter sports enthusiasts, and I've made a lot of personal sacrifices to support this site.  Having to intervene in issues like this isn't fun for me, and it's not something I do lightly.  I don't expect everyone to agree with me in every case (and wouldn't want them to), but getting attacked for exercising my judgment makes me question whether the effort of running the site is worth it anymore.

KeithT
August 21, 2014
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts

Well, I feel like crap for upsetting Scott.  Sorry Scott, no disrespect intended, and you are right, you draw the lines not the users.  I still respectfully disagree as to degrees of rumors.  If I had a house listed for sale when the HV rumors were flying, and my unit did not sell because of what a lurker read, is that not real harm?  If I lose two weeks of rentals on my SS condo because of rumors they are closing early and a lurker reads and does not rent, is that not real harm?  But again Scott, it is absolutely your call and I did not question your discretion just how in the heck do you exercise it.

kwillg6
August 22, 2014
2,066 posts

Scott.  My remarks in no way are intended toward you and what you do for all of us snowsport lovers.  We appreciate you efforts now as we have in the past. What's really rottings my socks is the business as usual perception of the referenced place when it's anything but.  I pray to god that it will be the norm or better this winter but am apprehensive of what I see.  I am at the place several times a month and observe what's happening or not happening. As a homeowner, I feel like a mushroom.  The zipline was planned and erected without consideration of adjacent owners and its impact on property values.  That's the attitude I witness and the lack of respect for those of us who provide the essential service of supplying rental units/houses for their business.  We ask for their cooperation so we don't have to take matters into our own hands and restrict their customer's access to the resort.  We usually get that cooperation but only after we take issue with them.  It gets very old, fast.     

Once again, thanks for what you do.  

SCWVA
August 22, 2014
1,052 posts

Did the ski area with the zipline in Tucker County, WV get their liquor license back?

kwillg6
August 22, 2014
2,066 posts

yes

kwillg6
August 26, 2014
2,066 posts

Was at the place on the weekend.  The pub as busy on saturday evening and Doc was filddling.  The zip was zipping andthe tripple was lifting.  Meanwhile, nothing much was happening on the mountain with the exception of electrical work.  Heard that Tom  was even getting down and dirty in the ditches fixing the wiring if that means anything.  Talking about getting ready for skiing?  Can't say because nobody's talking.  I'm going back up this weekend and will be at a social event where more folks may know something.  

AndyGene
August 26, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Does anyone know if you can mountain board during the summer at any of the WV resorts?  I think it looks really fun, but I am too lazy to walk up hill.

jimmy
September 2, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Walk up the hill?? Timberslime and Canaan Valley both run their lifts in the summer. 

So I am hearing rumors that Timber Haus Cafeteria is installing new dispensers for the foam cups for Hot Chocolate and Coffee.

Crush
September 2, 2014
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

jimmy wrote:

Walk up the hill?? Timberslime and Canaan Valley both run their lifts in the summer. 

So I am hearing rumors that Timber Haus Cafeteria is installing new dispensers for the foam cups for Hot Chocolate and Coffee.

... HOT damn! (sorry oould not resist)

jimmy
September 3, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

HOT, indeed. The thinking is they will save a bundle by only dispensing one cup per HOT drink customer

SCWVA
September 3, 2014
1,052 posts

jimmy wrote:

Thats disappointing, I really liked the old cup dispensers.

jimmy
September 4, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Maybe you can change your username to Foam Cup, Twin Cup?

Rumor has it that tslime is developing some drive thru mineral springs. 

kwillg6
September 4, 2014
2,066 posts

I think that will be in conjunction with the new BYO pub which had a trial run over the July 4th weekend. That's when they thought of the new cup dispensers as a universal idea for all their fine dining establishments. Major improvements there.....  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 4, 2014
3,246 posts

Not exactly Mid-A, but Sugar in NC is adding a major new slope.  Will add 10 acres to bring the total to 125 acres of trails.  The clearing is all done, so there is a pic in the article that shows the new trail alongside of the existing ones.  Also major improvements to handling water because of the new pipes and 10 snowguns for the new trail.

http://www.hcpress.com/sports/sugar-mountain-ski-resorts-expands-with-new-bold-swooping-sope-featuring-steep-challenging-plummets.html

jimmy
September 5, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Wow, that's some expansion. A cool million.

crgildart
September 5, 2014
767 posts

Saw that news about Sugar around here or there somewhere.  Can't wait to check it out.

kwillg6
September 8, 2014
2,066 posts

sugar has limited intermediate terrain and this will give customers more to play on. I don't think they have upgraded from their double chairs.  They used to be slow and had long lift lines on busy days. 

Tucker
September 11, 2014 (edited September 11, 2014)
893 posts

Tucker wrote:

from Timberline facebook page:

"We are adding additional snow guns to our most popular trail - Salamander - so that snowmaking can be completed from top to bottom in one single snowmaking session. We are also making some exciting upgrades to the Cherry Bowl."

crgildart
September 11, 2014
767 posts

jimmy wrote:

Wow, that's some expansion. A cool million.

The biggest problem I see here is possibly a huge bottleneck on the already disasterous Northridge trail.  It is basically just a catwalk and already a train wreck on busy days without adding this additional major trail also only accessible via Northridge.  They really need another lift over there like they have on Big Red.

SCWVA
September 11, 2014
1,052 posts

Gov't finally fixed the Dollly Sods webcam!!!!!!!!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2014
3,246 posts

marzNC wrote:

For 2014-15, Massanutten will have a brand new building for snowsports.  Slopesliders, the children's ski/board program, will move over from the bottom floor of the lodge building.  There will also be space for the instructors.  The ground floor of the lodge will be renovated to provide public space as well as another food option.

Oh well, Mnut ran into construction issues over the summer.  They are just putting in the foundation.  So the new building won't be ready until the spring.  That means nothing can change in the main lodge either.

The magic carpet used by Slopesliders for the kids was taken out.  It will be re-installed before ski season starts a bit closer to the longer magic carpet due to the location of the new building.

msprings
September 21, 2014
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Based on what I can see from the webcams this morning. It looks like 7 Springs is redoing the little connector piece from Wagner Slope to the Foggy Goggle. It looks as if they are widening the trail and moving it more up the hill. This is a great move as it hss always been a high-traffic route that gets icey and bumpy by the end of the day. Should also decrease the amount of bystanders getting wiped out in front of the Goggle. 

skiracerx
September 24, 2014
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Scott will be posting the article I wrote and pictures of liberty and Roundtop improvements, so stay tuned.

Liberty is adding Millions of $$$ of Improvements.   Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop have over the last 10 years invested 2 million each year at each resort. Some things like infrastructure (New Lifts, carpets, Snowmaking, etc)  take time.  

Most of the improvements involve local government approval and that part takes time.

happy Trails Skiracerx

SCWVA
October 27, 2014 (edited October 27, 2014)
1,052 posts

WISP has built 4-5 large yurts to the right of the hotel (ok, I was too lazy to actually count them).  Several of the yurts are interconnected and one has skis stored in it.  I have been told by a unreliable source (an employee) that the yurts will be housing the Willie WISP & Club WISP ski school,  One of the yurts has a kitchen and will be serving food.  The same source said that the A frame where the school was is being turned into a Mexican resturant.  Nothing like some good rumours.    

I checked WISP's website and they do not mention anything about the yurts.  I did however find a quote from JimK's daughter!

therusty
November 8, 2014
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts

Went to Whitetail today and took some pics:

One parking lot is paved!!!!

new fan guns on Angel Drop = more features for the terrain park!

new furniture in Marketplace (and upstairs) increases the seating capacity

therusty
November 8, 2014
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts

ok - that was messed up a little

The private lesson desk has been moved from the rental building to the Children's center. More room = a nicer experience.

The Children's Center building has been expanded. Fewer sold out days for our Kids Camp lessons.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?