Mid-Atlantic Ski Areas Open after Sunday, March 22 ?
46 posts
21 users
5k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2015
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Snowshoe says they'll be open through Easter Sunday, April 5.  What other areas expect to remain open after Sunday, March 22?

Woody

teleman
March 20, 2015
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Canaan Valley

crgildart
March 20, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Wintergreen should be open this weekend but no night skiing.  They were originally shooting for the 28th for the last day but I see the pond skim is tomorrow with Sunday as the make up day if it rains tomorrow so I guess that's that.

snapdragon
March 20, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

I just received very reliable intel that this would be Canaan's last weekend.  They were supposed to stay open until next weekend but the plug has been pulled and the lifts will stop at 4:30 on Sunday.  So go get it while you can because December is a long ways away.  

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
rbrtlav
March 20, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Bryce has on Facebook weekends through the 29th.

7 springs made snow at least 1night this week so I would expect they will be open beyond this upcoming weekend as well. 

skijw
March 20, 2015
Member since 03/10/2014 🔗
40 posts

Last day at Bryce is March 28th. Although in one place in their Facebook said 29th. But all the latest posts say 28th.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Snow-Report----03-20-2015.html?soid=1102527957861&aid=VmIcMX5zTlg

snapdragon
March 20, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Go Bryce!!!

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2015
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Hidden Valley is closing after this Sunday.  Earliest closing I remember in a long time. There is still plenty of snow left on the mountain.

Antoine
March 20, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

I expect one of the snowtimes to stay oppen for a weekend opp in a week

rbrtlav
March 20, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Based on instagram and Facebook comments I think they are all gonna close...but looking at webcams round top and liberty no doubt could open next weekend (28-29), so maybe they will. 

I'm hoping to get out to one of them both sat and Sun, and haven't ruled out a snowshoe trip the weekend of the 29th unless ShowTime changed their minds and opens one. 

Antoine wrote:

I expect one of the snowtimes to stay oppen for a weekend opp in a week

crgildart
March 20, 2015
767 posts

How much snow are they getting today?

camp
March 20, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

snapdragon wrote:

Go Bryce!!!

Good for them.

First to open, BEFORE Thanksgiving

Last to close?

New Bike Park.

Bryce is in the lead in my view.

teleman
March 20, 2015
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Last day is posted on CV website.  This Sunday is the final day.

snapdragon wrote:

I just received very reliable intel that this would be Canaan's last weekend.  They were supposed to stay open until next weekend but the plug has been pulled and the lifts will stop at 4:30 on Sunday.  So go get it while you can because December is a long ways away.  

March 22, 2015
778 posts

So, after Sunday March 22 it looks like Bryce, Seven Springs and Snowshoe will remain open.  Camelback, too.  Any others?

Woody

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

As Woody said above, 7S will be open through the week this week, day time only. Lifts stopped today at 5PM. They usually go a few weekends only after that but I've not heard of a definite closing date.

Antoine
March 22, 2015
275 posts

I dont think many here will be intersted but big boulder will remain open till next weekend.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2015
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

LHC - I asked a rep from 7S how many season pass holders they have and he said, in excess of 13,000 ! By contrast, HV has about 2,000+.  13,000 is alot of pass holders to keep happy. If they pay an average of let's say $450/pass that equates to $5.85 million! For HV, let's say an average of $300, we're talking $600k.

Does anyone know how many season pass holders the other resorts around here have?

If you have 13,000 season pass holders, a resort should stay open as long as possible.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

SS is in the 20,000 neighborhood of season pass holders and has publicly committed to staying open until 4/5.

ParkCrewDrew
March 23, 2015
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

7Springs is open till

4pm Monday through Thrursday

7pm March 27, 28, 29 

Possibly Reopen for 4/4 and 4/5...   At least that's my guess

______

Holliday Valley is typically open till the 2nd week of April if you want to drive to NY

Peek N Peak will also be open this weekend

March 23, 2015
2,038 posts

snowsmith wrote:

LHC - I asked a rep from 7S how many season pass holders they have and he said, in excess of 13,000 ! By contrast, HV has about 2,000+.  13,000 is alot of pass holders to keep happy. If they pay an average of let's say $450/pass that equates to $5.85 million! For HV, let's say an average of $300, we're talking $600k.

Does anyone know how many season pass holders the other resorts around here have?

If you have 13,000 season pass holders, a resort should stay open as long as possible.

I agree. I'll let you know how the skiing is tomorrow when I will likely finish out mu season. Lke most ski resorts, Seven Springs runs out of skiers before they run out of snow. They keep making snow on the North Face and let it pile up. They've been adding extra ground and fan guns in addition to the HKD towers. Rumor has it that there will be some private event later this year.

rbrtlav
March 23, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

snowsmith wrote:

This is a catch 22... Snowshoe and to some extent  7 springs continue to make money off passholders from lodging, food, and other things. I'll be honest as a passholder more often than not when I went to Liberty and Whitetail I did not spend a cent. I personally think getting snow on the ground ASAP in November and December is more important to the resorts that really dont profit off the passholders that much, and then maintaing a quality product until it is clear the interest has plummeted and long enough that you will not lose passholders. Yesterday (closing day) Whitetail didn't even put up the corrals for the lift lines because they knew it would be empty and they provided lunch for passholders, there is no way they came close to breaking even on the day. 

I would be interested in knowing how many season passholders SnowTime has, and how many advantage card lift tickets and window price tickets were purchaced in the last 2 weeks vs Season Passholder attendance. 

Antoine
March 23, 2015
275 posts

If i remember correctly blue was open for one weekend in may a couple years ago and roundtop ran fifre park lift a week after closing. That being said for a hill like liberty to only run one lift (Alpine lift) would make sence to me. It aceses blacks, greens, and some park terrain. I also notices that liberty is still has the lights on.

Norsk
March 24, 2015
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

snowsmith wrote:

I suspect that due to the Ridiculous Pass discounting, Snowshoe's average revenue per pass is a LOT less than $450.  But still, passes are probably close to $3 million of annual revenue to SS.  Also, I'd bet that SS captures a lot more ancillary revenue from passholder visits than many of the other Mid-A areas do, due to being more of a weekend than a day area, owning or renting out most of the beds, owning most of the restaurants and retail, etc.  Changes the equation re how long to stay open.

skijw
March 24, 2015
Member since 03/10/2014 🔗
40 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

This is a catch 22... Snowshoe and to some extent  7 springs continue to make money off passholders from lodging, food, and other things. I'll be honest as a passholder more often than not when I went to Liberty and Whitetail I did not spend a cent. I personally think getting snow on the ground ASAP in November and December is more important to the resorts that really dont profit off the passholders that much, and then maintaing a quality product until it is clear the interest has plummeted and long enough that you will not lose passholders. Yesterday (closing day) Whitetail didn't even put up the corrals for the lift lines because they knew it would be empty and they provided lunch for passholders, there is no way they came close to breaking even on the day. 

I would be interested in knowing how many season passholders SnowTime has, and how many advantage card lift tickets and window price tickets were purchaced in the last 2 weeks vs Season Passholder attendance. 

That's easy to do at Whitetail and Liberty. But you will be hard pressed not to spend any money at Snowshoe. :-)

Mongo
March 24, 2015
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

skijw wrote:

That's easy to do at Whitetail and Liberty. But you will be hard pressed not to spend any money at Snowshoe. :-)

One thing we learned this year was always bring all your food and cook in your kitchenette. The dining options at SS are limited, the food is expensive, the portions are small, and the wait to get seated and eat is horrendous.

March 24, 2015
2,038 posts

The word on the hill today is Sunday will be the last day of public sliding at Seven Springs. I was expecting warm and sunny spring conditions today but found instead the an unexpected 2 inch snow fall and overcast made for late winter conditions. The snow fall was enough to cover ice patches that had formed due to thaw and refreeze. There were patches of ungroomed but groomers for the most part. I think I'm done for the season.

taidaho
March 26, 2015
Member since 02/25/2009 🔗
22 posts

I bought a touring setup this year, and I was thinking of heading somewhere in the next few weeks to skin up and enjoy what's left of the snow. Anywhere in particular to recommend?

wgo
March 26, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

See the thread "Canaan Valley surface conditions"  - Chaga has been keeping us up to date. 

Antoine
March 26, 2015
275 posts

taidaho wrote:

I bought a touring setup this year, and I was thinking of heading somewhere in the next few weeks to skin up and enjoy what's left of the snow. Anywhere in particular to recommend?

Just about any resort has enought snow. The big issue is that snowtime will most likley get ya for tresspasing.

Just curious what binding did you get? Really am dabating the idead of a touring seteup if the winters like these keep coming.

taidaho
March 26, 2015
Member since 02/25/2009 🔗
22 posts

wgo wrote:

See the thread "Canaan Valley surface conditions"  - Chaga has been keeping us up to date.

Awesome. Thanks. I figured the Canaan Valley may be my best bet...for both conditions and more liberal attitude.

Antoine wrote:

taidaho wrote:

Just about any resort has enought snow. The big issue is that snowtime will most likley get ya for tresspasing.

Just curious what binding did you get? Really am dabating the idead of a touring seteup if the winters like these keep coming.

I bought a pair of Marker Tour F10, which I found online for $229 (now sold out). I've only used them (for touring) twice this season, for two amazing days in Idaho. I considered some of the burlier options (Dukes, Salomon Guardian/Atomic Tracker), but didn't figure I needed the higher DIN setting. Briefly considered Dynafits, but I wasn't ready to buy new boots at the same time, and realistically most of my skiing will still be lift-served.

Sincraft
March 27, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

Hidden Valley in PA (7 Springs little brother) is closed already.  What a joke.  I almost bought a place here.  Plenty of snow, great opportunity to get some new skiers up there to learn.  Very sad.

Sincraft
March 29, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

and 7Springs appears to be making snow tonight after receiving 2 inches yesterday...

jimmy
March 30, 2015 (edited March 30, 2015)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Sincraft wrote:

Hidden Valley in PA (7 Springs little brother) is closed already.  What a joke.  I almost bought a place here.  Plenty of snow, great opportunity to get some new skiers up there to learn.  Very sad.

Well, Seven Springs was open yesterday, so was their ski school, and skied very nicely. Northface was closed because they blew huge SNOW whales down the skiers left side. They were running a bunch of brand new Bombardier equipment on it. Someone said they were giving a seminar on building halfpipes, IDK but it was fun to watch. Way more fun than snow mobile races at Timberline, I am sure.

I thought I was going for their closing day yesterday. Word on the lift is they will re-open Friday and Saturday next weekend, stayed tuned.

March 30, 2015
2,038 posts

Yep, jimmy. I heard last Tuesday that this weekend would be the last but the web site says they will open Friday and Saturday next weekend. As for the big pile of snow on the North Face, Snowboarder Magazine will hold its 19th annual Superpark freestyle snowboarding event April 5-9. Details in Post-Gazette's Larry Walsh Snow Sports column: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ski/2015/03/28/SnowSports-Seven-Springs-is-honored/stories/201503280105 

Antoine
March 30, 2015
275 posts

Big boulder will remain open this whoe week until next sun. I think jack frost will as well.

Sincraft
March 30, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

I'm positive they could stretch that snow out to allow wagner, the beginner trails near wagner and north face to remain open until May.  IF they wanted to brag about that.  It would be a shame if they didnt allow people to ride all of that snow.  So much of it.

They also destroyed the super pipe yesterday, not sure why...
Usually they shrink it down, pushing snow around for some features below - while sprucing up the big jumps a bit too.

These areas are usually full on open while the ride to get to there is very thin.

As for closing next weekend, I'd say it's doubtful however I could be wrong.  7S is known for 'surprising' us with another week.  They do not plan for this as we all know how quickly warm weather and rain can destroy snow.   Tentative closing date is April 4th at 4pm though.  I wouldnt be surprised if they do stay open until the 3rd week of April if we get cooler temps or 2nd week if we do not get favorable weather.

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Yep, jimmy. I heard last Tuesday that this weekend would be the last but the web site says they will open Friday and Saturday next weekend. As for the big pile of snow on the North Face, Snowboarder Magazine will hold its 19th annual Superpark freestyle snowboarding event April 5-9. Details in Post-Gazette's Larry Walsh Snow Sports column: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ski/2015/03/28/SnowSports-Seven-Springs-is-honored/stories/201503280105

crgildart
April 2, 2015
767 posts

Appalachian just announced they still have good coverage on Big Appal and will crank up the lifts Saturday and Sunday 9-6 for one last weekend and Easter celebration.

April 2, 2015
2,038 posts

Sincraft wrote:

I'm positive they could stretch that snow out to allow wagner, the beginner trails near wagner and north face to remain open until May.  IF they wanted to brag about that.  It would be a shame if they didnt allow people to ride all of that snow.  So much of it.

They also destroyed the super pipe yesterday, not sure why...
Usually they shrink it down, pushing snow around for some features below - while sprucing up the big jumps a bit too.

These areas are usually full on open while the ride to get to there is very thin

Here's what's going on with North Face and The Spot next week:

For 19 years, SNOWBOARDER Magazine’s Superpark gathering has routinely pushed the limits of what is possible when it comes to building and riding next level, man-made park terrain. Now, SNOWBOARDER Magazine is once again set to take this level of in-bounds freestyle riding to a place where it has never been before, east of the Mississippi. For 2015, SNOWBOARDER is bringing Superpark to Seven Springs Mountain Resort AND YOU’RE INVITED!

April 5, 2015
778 posts

Camelback has been open through Sunday, April 5.  They will be close this coming week but plan to reopen for Saturday-Sunday April 11-12.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 6, 2015
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

We skied Mt Sunapee yesterday, Easter Sunday.  Conditions were S-U-P-E-R-B.  The mountain is still about 80% open (glades are closed) and the grooming was unparalleled.  And snowing again this morning.  Winter will not let go off Northern New England....

Antoine
April 6, 2015
275 posts

lbotta wrote:

We skied Mt Sunapee yesterday, Easter Sunday.  Conditions were S-U-P-E-R-B.  The mountain is still about 80% open (glades are closed) and the grooming was unparalleled.  And snowing again this morning.  Winter will not let go off Northern New England.... Mad river is 100%  open and with ZERO GRASS! We got a foot in the last 2 days. Paradise is skiing very well amd so are the tight uper mnt pine glades. Antelope was the best. But its warming up...

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 16, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

In the realm of "You have got to be kidding!?", Big Boulder sent email indicating they will be open Sat & Sun, April 18-19.! Check their website for details!

The Colonel

April 17, 2015
2,038 posts

Seven Springs is hosting a mashed potato meltdown this weekend. It's a freestyle event in their terrain park with a $10 registration fee for non season pass holders free if you have one. I guess that make 7S "open" at least on Saturday. 

Antoine
April 17, 2015
275 posts

The Colonel wrote:

In the realm of "You have got to be kidding!?", Big Boulder sent email indicating they will be open Sat & Sun, April 18-19.! Check their website for details!

The Colonel    

They are probably going to be loaded on park features. And LHC springs is going to have pizza AND some PROS, tom wallish 7local and steve stepp RMR local both are high stature pros.

chaga
April 17, 2015 (edited April 17, 2015)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Timberline is un-officially hosting a corn-fest on Off the Wall this weekend. Huge base, whales and mellow bumps. A little hiking but once at the bottom of OTW...you can hike to the top in the same time as a lift ride.(switchback trails between otw and drop or cherry bowl make it easy)  Rarely skiable in winter because of aspect and iceburg factors, but in the spring it's sofaking good. Great time for a ski picnic, and dogs are allowed :) 

it's lonely at the top these days.

Antoine
May 2, 2015
275 posts

Big boulder pa is open for one day on the 19 (I think) for earn your turns. It's mostly a terrain park setup so keep that in mind.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?