moving to Utaaaaah!
5 posts
5 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 1, 2015 (edited October 5, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Vince got a new job and is moving to Utah.  My wife and I are out here helping him move and find an apartment.  Also getting in a little sightseeing.  We drove out last weekend, 80 degs and sunny every day.  I guess this means I will have to check up on him this winter?

View of Salt Lake City from Cottonwood Heights:

Mormon Temple at night:

Utes football stadium:

Snowbird tram:

Can anyone identify this?  Must be a Snowbird:-)

Here's a snow byrd of another feather:

Mineral Basin section of Snowbird:

They are building a very significant restaurant at Snowbird summit, 11k feet:

Probably will be one of the more memorable assignments for these construction workers who rode down with us on tram:

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 1, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Congratulations Vince.  (And Jim.)

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 5, 2015
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Congrats Vince. The bird, btw, is a Steller's Jay--an iconic Western bird.

kwillg6
October 6, 2015
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Congrats Vince!  I'll visit when in the area.  Oh, and congrats, Jim....

jkaplenk
October 6, 2015 (edited October 6, 2015)
Member since 08/31/2015 🔗
45 posts

I do a trek to Utah every year and have relatives in Cottonwood Heights that I stay with. I graduated from U of U  in Physics. My trek last year was 10 days at Park City and Snowbird for  PSIA training for coaches in Slalom and GS and video analysis.  Usually it is 10 slopes in 10 days.

I have a new pair of Fischer vacuum race boots waiting for me there. I had a pair that developed cracks after 3 1/2 years and Fischer replaced them with only a charge for shipping and handling. The shop will do free fitting for that and arch supports.  That's great support from Fischer and the shop. I'm a Dale boots reject. They took one look at my feet and said they couldn't help me due to my many years of roller and ice skating.  I have no fat in my feet, mostly muscle and bone. So Fischer vacuum was my last resort. I'm still working out my itinerary.

Good luck. I wish I were there. My wife is a coast lover.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?