Demo days 2015/16
27 posts
10 users
4k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2015 (edited December 9, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Got the info below from the Ski Center of Wash website.  Anybody else going to this or have info on other local demo days this winter?  I hope to make it to the Ski Center demo day at Whitetail on Jan 8, 2016.  Pray for snow, pray even harder for cold temps!

Demo Day

Friday, January 8, 2016, 9:30am to 3:30pm

We are excited to be hosting our 2016 Demo at Whitetail Mountain Resort in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania on Friday January 8th! We’ll have all the latest skis and snowboards available for you to try from a variety of different companies. Make sure you stop by our store and pick up a coupon for a $30 lift ticket. We’re hoping for the best, but if some nasty weather comes in be sure to check back here a couple days in advance to confirm the date. So dust off your ski gear and get ready for a day of skiing on all the latest and greatest from the ski industry. It’s guaranteed to be the most exciting sick day you’ll take all year!! Use of demo equipment is free.

Driver's license and credit card required for demo use. Must be at least 18. Registration closes at 2pm. Please bring your own boots and poles.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 9, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Freestyle of Charlottesville has a demo weekend at Massanutten on Jan. 9-10.  Don said he would send me the list of skis a week or so before.  Has brought some fun stuff the last few years.  Seems like more all-mountain than carvers because the folks who actually buy skis are usually looking for something that is good for both Mid-A skiing as well as trips out west.  For women, that has meant 75-90 underfoot.

At Wintergreen, Freestyle does free demos over MLK weekend and Pres. Day weekend.

kickerfrank
December 9, 2015 (edited December 9, 2015)
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

That'll be the first big demo weekend (hopefully) of the season.

• Jan 8 - Whitetail
  • Jan 9 - Seven Sorings
  • Jan 10 - Roundtop
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2015
2,964 posts

kickerfrank wrote:

That'll be the first big demo weekend (hopefully) of the season.

• Jan 8 - Whitetail
  • Jan 9 - Seven Sorings
  • Jan 10 - Roundtop

Will some of your new Kicker skis be among those offered for demos?

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
kickerfrank
December 10, 2015
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

JimK wrote:

Absolutely! POTUS will be making its official demo debut. Towards the end of last season we let a few of our customers take the POTUS prototype out for a spin. It was well recieved.

I saw that @crush  left the area. He wrote a detailed review of us last season:

http://www.dcski.com/forum/82427

JimK, have you been out to our demos?

JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2015
2,964 posts

Don't believe I have attended a Ski Center demo day, but went to a number of them sponsored by Ski Chalet in years past.  Need to get by Ski Center for a coupon for Jan 8, but not sure if I can until around Christmas.  Hopefully, they won't run out.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 1, 2016
2,964 posts

I hope to go to Jan 8 demo day at Whitetail.  Who else?

Need to pick up a voucher.  Hopefully we see a good week of snowmaking.  Suspect there will be a healthy crowd even though weekday, due to pent up demand.

Bumps
January 2, 2016
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

JimK wrote:

I hope to go to Jan 8 demo day at Whitetail.  Who else?

Need to pick up a voucher.  Hopefully we see a good week of snowmaking.  Suspect there will be a healthy crowd even though weekday, due to pent up demand.

Depends on if skins play Sat or Sun! Wife might take issue with me skiing and tailgating the entire weekend anyway ;)

Bumps
January 2, 2016
538 posts

kickerfrank wrote:

JimK wrote:

Absolutely! POTUS will be making its official demo debut. Towards the end of last season we let a few of our customers take the POTUS prototype out for a spin. It was well recieved.

Hey was reading your web site. The POTUS ski seems to remind me of dynastar legend except for the asymmetric turn radius on inside/outside skis. Legend and later sultan have been a couple of my favorites. Am I reading the specs right, would this ski behave similarly except with a little more dive in the turn initiation? Which sounds good. I may go back and compare specs when I have time but thought I would just ask since I am feeling lazy. 😜

Crush
January 2, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Bumps wrote:

kickerfrank wrote:

JimK wrote:

Hey was reading your web site. The POTUS ski seems to remind me of dynastar legend except for the asymmetric turn radius on inside/outside skis. Legend and later sultan have been a couple of my favorites. Am I reading the specs right, would this ski behave similarly except with a little more dive in the turn initiation? Which sounds good. I may go back and compare specs when I have time but thought I would just ask since I am feeling lazy. 😜

You guys should DEMO THEIR SKIS!  lol - i would like to try the POTUS it seems more "me" - I think the furlough friday is more like a legend, or maybe a pro rider but with more sidecut actually. as usual with botique skis make sure to push the reset button in your head before demo'ing and don't try to figure out if they are like X. Y or Z from the big manufactures ... just see if they match up with what you feel. some day i hope to hook up with some Hendryx skis - tough to do though in the USA.

kickerfrank
January 2, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

Bumps wrote:

I don't have experience with that model but looking at the specs and description I can say it looks like it's in the same category of ski. It should be a good comparable but there are a few key differences, noticably, Legend looks like it has Titanal so it may be heavier and a little stiffer. We put alot of our focus on vibration damping so we have incorporated the unique composite tech, Countervail, to limit vibration. 

Stop by and let us know what you think! 

rbrtlav
January 2, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Has whitetail contacted you about your demo Friday? The forecast looks good...but obviously mountain ops had some work to do.

kickerfrank
January 2, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

The demo is run by ski center and they just sent out an email today promoting it. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. I'll post if anything changes.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 7, 2016
2,964 posts

BTW, for anyone thinking of going to demo day at Whitetail on Jan 8 you can pick up vouchers for discounted tickets at Whitetail that morning, just go to demo tent and look for Alpine Ski shop or Ski Center guys to get vouchers.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Got confirmation directly from Freestyle that they will be at Massanutten with demo skis from Blizzard, K2, Rossignol, and Volkl on Sat and Sun, Jan. 9-10, 9:00-2:30.

Lift 5 is open to the top for Upper Showtime and DJ is open off Lift 6.  Coverage was pretty good today so should be fine this weekend.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

marzNC wrote:

Got confirmation directly from Freestyle that they will be at Massanutten with demo skis from Blizzard, K2, Rossignol, and Volkl on Sat and Sun, Jan. 9-10, 9:00-2:30.

Lift 5 is open to the top for Upper Showtime and DJ is open off Lift 6.  Coverage was pretty good today so should be fine this weekend.

are you still going to be at Whitetail demo day tomorrow, Jan 8?  Wearing???

JimK and I hope to get there between 9 & 10.

The Colonel

rbrtlav
January 7, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm planning on going to whitetail sometime tomorrow am...i'll have orange pants and grey coat, may be on a board and bring ski boots for demoing or might be on skis the whole time.

Bumps
January 9, 2016
538 posts

Very foggy, but great fun a whitetail today

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 10, 2016
2,964 posts

Bumps wrote:

Very foggy, but great fun a whitetail today

Bumps, did I rub shoulders with you at some of the demo tents on Friday?  Wish we could have connected for a couple of runs together.  There was a little gang of us from DCSki there.

I called out to a couple people "Robert", looking for rbrtlav, but no luck.  

rbrtlav
January 10, 2016 (edited January 10, 2016)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

JimK wrote:

I'll have to catch up with y'all later this season. I took a nice spill in a collision at roundtop on Wednesday night, only was a little sore Thursday (and was still planning on doing Whitetail Friday), but when my alarm went off Friday I wasn't feeling like it was going to be a good time on the slopes as I felt worse than I did Thursday. I felt good enough to get a few hours in on Saturday at Liberty. Glad I had a helmet on though... it shook my confidence for the night and knocked the wind out of me, but it was one of those falls where I could get up and continue... knowing I would feel it the next day.

NMski
January 10, 2016
Member since 01/2/2015 🔗
5 posts

Wasn't the demo day at Snowshoe cancelled earlier this year due to weather? Does anyone know when it will be rescheduled to?

eggraid
January 11, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

JimK wrote:

I'll have to catch up with y'all later this season. I took a nice spill in a collision at roundtop on Wednesday night, only was a little sore Thursday (and was still planning on doing Whitetail Friday), but when my alarm went off Friday I wasn't feeling like it was going to be a good time on the slopes as I felt worse than I did Thursday. I felt good enough to get a few hours in on Saturday at Liberty. Glad I had a helmet on though... it shook my confidence for the night and knocked the wind out of me, but it was one of those falls where I could get up and continue... knowing I would feel it the next day.

Yikes! Was it a collision with another skier?

rbrtlav
January 11, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

eggraid wrote:

Yikes! Was it a collision with another skier?

Yeah... I wish I knew what happend, but I was downhill. I was actually on a snowboard, I got hit by another boarder and by the time I collected myself he had his board off and was running up to check on me, I gave him a thumbs up and accepted his apology and then I realized that there was also a skier on the ground 10-20 feet uphill of where I was that I suspect was part of the original collision. The guy that had hit me ran up and helped him get his skis back on, but I suspect the skier got the worst of it based on the way he was standing up. My friend was on the other side of the slope and just saw me on the ground, but didnt see what happend... 

kickerfrank
January 12, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

Demo Day at Blue Miuntain this Thursday Jan 14. This is also a Buckman's CAD. Great weather this week. It will be AMAZING!

Hope to see you there.

hoyadrew
February 5, 2016
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

Any news on if Snowshoe's Demo Days is still happening, and if so, when?  Also, who comes to these demo events?  Just manufacturers or just retailers?  And what is available to demo, only high end stuff?

kickerfrank
February 11, 2016 (edited February 11, 2016)
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

hoyadrew wrote:

Any news on if Snowshoe's Demo Days is still happening, and if so, when?  Also, who comes to these demo events?  Just manufacturers or just retailers?  And what is available to demo, only high end stuff?

The snowshoe demo was not rescheduled. Demo days are hosted by rep associations or retail shops (or solo manufacturers as in our case). Either way manufacturer reps show up with their gear for you to try out. Depending on the manufacturer they will have about 10-20 models. They may leave out their entry point skis. There is not much demand for those at demos.

we have a few demo days coming up:

• camelback, Feb 19
  • blue knob, feb 20-21
  • blue mountain, feb 26
  • canaan Valley, feb 27-28

kickerfrank
February 25, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

Last weekend for demo days.

• Blue Mountain tomorrow Feb 26
  • Canaan Valley Feb 27-28

anyone going to be in the valley? Should be a great weekend!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?