Mid-Atlantic Gathering discussion for 2017
32 posts
8 users
4k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 24, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

So last season, the DCSki/EpicSki Gathering was at Blue Knob.  The discussion has started over on EpicSki for 2017.  General feeling seem to be to be somewhere else besides BK.  Laurel/Hidden/7Springs and CV/Timberline have been brought up so far.

http://www.epicski.com/t/147556/mid-atlantic-gathering-2016-17-discussion

Anyone interested?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 26, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Back to TL!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 26, 2016
3,245 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Back to TL!

That seems to be the preference so far.  Especially for the folks coming from Ohio or those who drove west to BK the last two years.

Also a good possibility of an even less formal meetup making use of a Highlands weekend ticket so people who are curious can check out 7Springs, Hidden Valley, and Laurel Mountain.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 28, 2016
3,245 posts

So the MidA Gathering will be at Timberline Feb. 24-26, 2017.  Work will be starting soon to find appropriate shared lodging.

If you are interested, but aren't on EpicSki, post here and I'll pass it on.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 28, 2016
3,245 posts

The offical MidA Gathering thread for 2016:

http://www.epicski.com/t/147603/2017-mid-atlantic-gathering-at-timberline-wv-february-24-26-2017

Since the Gathering hasn't been at Tline for a while, hoping for a crowd.  The organizer of the house at BK the last couple years will be researching options shortly.  May start Friday and end Monday morning.

jimmy
September 29, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

That's great you/we are coming back to Timerline/ Canaan Valley I love showing the best skiing in West Virginia off, but let's not give up on getting together at Laurel Mountain this year. I have a grand total of one day on that hill and i am REALLY, REALLY looking forward to getting to know her better this year. It's sorta on my way to Timberline if you get my drift.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 29, 2016
3,245 posts

jimmy wrote:

That's great you/we are coming back to Timerline/ Canaan Valley I love showing the best skiing in West Virginia off, but let's not give up on getting together at Laurel Mountain this year. I have a grand total of one day on that hill and i am REALLY, REALLY looking forward to getting to know her better this year. It's sorta on my way to Timberline if you get my drift.

Looking forward to skiing Tline when all the slopes are open.  So far I've only had one day in early season and we left pretty early in the afternoon to head back to Massanutten well before dark since there was snow on the road.

What was discussed in the planning thread was the idea of a weekend for people to make use of the Highland ticket to check out 7Springs, Hidden Vally, and Laurel Mountain.  While some people would need lodging, wouldn't be the same effort made to get a shared house slopeside.

crgildart
October 14, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Looks like we'll be on the other side this season, right near the base lodge..

crgildart
October 18, 2016
767 posts

House #1 is secured under contract and already FULL!  Rumor has it the one next door is avaiable.  Let's rock TL Feb 24th-26th!

There is also a new lodge hotel at TL..

Timbers Inn
Our new-construction hotel right on the slopes has 22 rooms in categories ranging from Standard to Expanded Standard, Jacuzzi Standard and the Family Jacuzzi suite with an adjoining room and two sets of bunk beds. These rooms sleep from four to eight people, and the mattresses do not disappoint! There is an exercise room and high standards for housekeeping. Go right out the front door and climb on the slopes!
http://www.timberlineresort.com/amenities.php

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 18, 2016
3,245 posts

For those who are unfamiliar with the DCSki/EpicSki Mid-Atlantic Gatherings or haven't been in a few years, the weekend is an informal gathering.  While a core group are committed for a long weekend, Fri-Sun, people are welcome for just a day trip.  House #1 is full for Fri and Sat nights, but will probably have empty beds on Thu and Sun nights.

Starting a couple years ago at Blue Knob, the core group at the house includes several tweens and teens, both boys and girls.  The kids have been coming with their fathers from all over, from Ohio, western PA, NC, and even DE and NJ.

Most likely, House #1 will host a pot-luck lunch for everyone on Sat.

October 18, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

How did I get left out?!  Who is putting this together this year?

MorganB

aka The Colonel

wgo
October 19, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

crgildart wrote:

It's not *that* new...what has it been, 3 or 4 years since it opened? Although I do like how they specifically mention the high standards for housekeeping. Always good to clarify!

In all seriousness, has anyone on this forum stayed there? What did you think?

crgildart
October 19, 2016
767 posts

wgo wrote:

crgildart wrote:

It's not *that* new...what has it been, 3 or 4 years since it opened? Although I do like how they specifically mention the high standards for housekeeping. Always good to clarify!

In all seriousness, has anyone on this forum stayed there? What did you think?

The lodge at Canan Valley opened a couple years ago.  I believe Timbers at Timberline is just getting started this season.  Someone said it is already booked that weekend though so Canan Valley is the next closest place other than the multiple houses available on the mountain.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 19, 2016
3,245 posts

The Colonel wrote:

How did I get left out?!  Who is putting this together this year?

MorganB

aka The Colonel

Morgan,

Sorry, the house coordinator the last few years is a Bear from DE.  He and his cousin from NJ bring their teen/tween kids.  Fathers are the type willing to do a lot of driving to ski, even though they also go out west a bit.

I think all the bedrooms are spoken for.  But I can check if you like.  That's assuming you don't mind sharing a house with quite a few kids, boys and girls ages 5-17.

As mentioned, the house next door is still available if anyone else decides to organize.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 19, 2016
3,245 posts

Some pics of the kids in the 2015 "family house" at BK.  Same group was at BK in 2016 too.  But moved over to the house that JimK used to organize.  Kids are a good bunch.

http://www.epicski.com/t/129818/2015-mid-atlantic-gathering-blue-knob-feb-6-8/180#post_1832825

crgildart
October 19, 2016
767 posts

The house next door is available.  Just round up 10 more skiers and we'll rule that place

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 20, 2016
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I'll be there for the skiing part, I love the Valley and would enjoy meeting more people here in addition to those I know.  

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 21, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

kemperski wrote:

I'll be there for the skiing part, I love the Valley and would enjoy meeting more people here in addition to those I know.  

or in spite of those you know !  are you going fiddle again ?

crgildart
November 5, 2016 (edited November 5, 2016)
767 posts

Update and address update.  Looks like we've moved to the house at the corner of Dew Drop and Winterset, 285 Winterset.

http://www.t4sr.com/Unit/Details/87653

The property folks say the manager is also the acting sales and marketing manager for the resort and will work with us on other logistics.  @jimmy should we bounce your name as a ski school connection?  I recall last time we were there some took lessons, Chance did.  Anyway, they have given us a pretty good deal and have another house available if.when more folks come onboard.

GGNagy
November 6, 2016
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

Hmmm...

Things a re still a bit up in the air, but I might be able to make a return this year.

Debating if it will be a day trip or not.

jimmy
November 7, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

crgildart wrote:

Update and address update.  Looks like we've moved to the house at the corner of Dew Drop and Winterset, 285 Winterset.

The property folks say the manager is also the acting sales and marketing manager for the resort and will work with us on other logistics.  @jimmy should we bounce your name as a ski school connection?  I recall last time we were there some took lessons, Chance did.  Anyway, they have given us a pretty good deal and have another house available if.when more folks come onboard.

Requests are always welcome, I'd love a chance to ski with Chance and the kids. We could also set up a clinic for the adults if there is interest. We have some good changes going on at Timberline Snowsports School and I think they would be able to put something together just for our group, let me know. 

crgildart
November 7, 2016 (edited November 7, 2016)
767 posts

Thanks jimmy.  I've added your clinic suggestion over at the other place. We will see what the kids want to do.  With there being several 13 year old girls and three teen/tween boys lessons might not be high on their list as they would be if there were only my two kids getting bored following dad around all day.  If I can get them interested on working on their skiing some rather than just clowning around with the other kids we will definitely request you.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2016
3,245 posts

The coordinator for the "family house" has been talking with the Tline about discounted lift tickets for the Gathering.  Having to switch houses is turning out to be a good thing.  Here's the details as known from the EpicSki MidA Gathering thread.  Apparently also plans for a Demo Day on Sat, Feb. 25.

**** Important Info for Gathering Attendees ****

Timberline is excited about our selecting them this year, and is going to provide EpicSki members with discount lift tickets for our weekend.  They asked me to simply provide a count.  Of course, we don't have to worry about putting that count together until we get close to the date but I wanted to let everyone know we should see a fairly decent, exclusive lift ticket discount when the time comes, based on the conversation I had with the Timberline Director of Sales and Marketing there.  Happy to get any useful suggestions on how to best put that count together, but I assume a poll of some kind.    Lurkers, feel free to de-cloak and PM me when you're sure you're coming.

As has already been touched on, the first house has been rented (just off the Winterset side), and the Epic members who will be there include myself, Marznc, dbostedo, crgildart, cantunamunch, ohioskier, WD65, ddanks, and levy1.  Big shout out to Timberline Four Seasons Realty.  Not only did they accept my offer (a significantly discounted stay, including a 4th free night), they exceeded our expectations when they also waived the security deposit.   The other prominent agency out there told me they would provide no discounts or concessions during the winter season.  We rented the property from Thursday evening through Monday morning at a very favorable rate, which allows those of us who can to arrive Thursday night to have all day Friday to ski, and while most of us will be leaving at some point Sunday, with Monday thrown in as well, we don't have to rush out by 10 am Sunday, etc. 

I mention all this because if there's interest in a second property here, particularly as we get closer, I'm sure they'll extend the same courtesies, whether you want something similar in arrangement to the above, or a night less, etc (not having to rush out at 10 am on Sunday is nice -- we had the same arrangement last year at Blue Knob and JamesJ, WD65, and I had a pleasant Sunday lunch).  I have some helpful notes on the 4 and 5 bedroom properties out there so reach out to me and I'll be glad to help you put it together.

Timberline is going to work with us to put a Demo Day together as well for the Saturday of our Mid-Atlantic Gathering.

crgildart
January 10, 2017
767 posts

Bumping this for roll call.  Many regulars here are planing to attend. 

Roll call thread here:

crgildart
February 17, 2017 (edited February 17, 2017)
767 posts

BUMP!  This is less than a week away.  There is snow in the forecast next weekend, a couple degrees cooler and it could be LOTS of snow.  We will have a pirate flag flying outside our house off Winterset, about 400 feet back from Winterset near the bottom.  Very likely there will be some beds available Sunday night, maybe one available other nights if anyone else drops out last minute. 

Details below

Discount Lift Tix for Epic Members attending Mid-Atl Gathering @ Timberline WV Feb 25 ROLL CALL

wgo
February 17, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

crgildart wrote:

BUMP!  This is less than a week away.  There is snow in the forecast next weekend, a couple degrees cooler and it could be LOTS of snow.  We will have a pirate flag flying outside our house off Winterset, about 400 feet back from Winterset near the bottom.  Very likely there will be some beds available Sunday night, maybe one available other nights if anyone else drops out last minute.

Had not previously seen the forecasted snow but that is good news. Let's hope the valley works its magic and you end up with a bunch. I will not be there but I am keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

February 18, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I will not be at Gathering this year, thanks to six broken ribs suffered at the hands of an out of control snow boarder two weeks ago. Wishing fresh snow for all attendees!!  See you next year.

MorganB

aka The Colonel

crgildart
February 19, 2017
767 posts

Goiod news, forecast for rain Friday-Sunday has dialed way back to 30% chance Friday, just some Saturday morning and early afternoon.  Bad news, snow Saturday night and Sunday morning is less likely..

crgildart
February 21, 2017
767 posts

It's still on rain or shine.. although rain will probably have some spending more time inside playing foosball than outside skiing Saturday mid day.

We're at 285 Winterset, about 500 feet back from the trail most of the way down near the bottom (I think).  Feel free to drop by if you are there.  We will put a flag, probably a jolly roger, out to mark the house for visitors.

crgildart
February 24, 2017
767 posts
House is just before the tunnel, 2nd row back. Bwckhoe and red dump truck visible from trail. Epicski banner out front, pirate flag on the deck.
February 24, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

You guys and gals have fun!  Missing the special enjoyment of the DCSki/EpicSki Mid-A GATHERING!  Special thanks to JimK/JimJ for getting this started a few year ago!  

The Colonel

aka MorganB

crgildart
February 27, 2017
767 posts

Just here to post a final summary of the Mid  Atlantic Gathering at Timberline.  House was spectacular, terrain and conditions were better than expected. They did get NASTAR open Saturday and we had fun there.  Off The Wall was open but had a nasty chunk half way down which made things interesting. 

As usual, this was a very kid friendly event.

More photos and videos here:

Mid Atlantic Gathering Timberline WV Feb 24-27

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.