Liberty or Whitetail this weekend?
10 posts
6 users
6k+ views
eggraid
December 28, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

We will be in town this week, and both the kids and I are off on Friday and Saturday and are itching to get back to the Snotime resorts. Which one should we hit: Whitetail or Liberty? Low crowds are a plus, but more runs and better snow probably trumps that. We do like Whitetail's blue cruisers, but is it going to be packed on Friday and Saturday?

eggraid
December 29, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bueller...Bueller...

no one has any input?  Round top isn't off the list either

Jim
December 29, 2016
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts

Both resorts will likely be busy this weekend. Liberty has done a great job of getting a lot of terrain open. I was there yesterday, and every trail on the backside except Sidewinder and lower Strata, were open.   Admittedly, upper Eastwind was a bit thin, and lower Ultra also had a few bare spots. On the front side, BlueStreak and Dipsy are open as well as Sneaky Pete. The Terrain Park has limited trails. All in all, a surprising amount of terrain given the recent conditions. I have not been to Whitetail this season, but I hear they're doing a pretty good job too. Either way, it's a crapshoot on either one.

rbrtlav
December 29, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I was at Whitetail Wednesday night. Other than Expedition the base was really good (and even that wasn't bad) I will say it was very hard pack and granualary but it was the night session. As said above it is going to be a bit of a crapshoot this weekend (and partially depends on how much if any snowmaking they can get in) I suspect of the 3 Roundtop is going to have the best snowmaking opprotunities... but all 3 will have decent coverage on what is open.

On a sidenote I thought the Wood Fired Pizza at Whitetail was decent, (and not crazy expensive) they have some logistics to work out to handle crowds a bit better, but it will be a nice addition to the resort! 

skinavy
December 30, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

Typically I feel the order of crowded-ness goes: Whitetail; Liberty; Roundtop.  Those frontside cruisers at WT are magnets- the only escape s the pod of blacks, and that line can get stupid- I think only Exhibition is open right now?  Lib at lesat has 2 lifts on the back to service it all, seems that folks spread out a tad more- but the frontside waits are a hot mess.  Roundtop simply has fewer people- doesn't pull in the DC market as much.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I've met up with friends at Roundtop for a non-holiday Saturday a couple times.  Had a good time.  Got crowded by lunch time but not too hard to get away from the crowd if skiing blue/black.  Lodge is small so definitely good to eat early or late.

rbrtlav
December 30, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Anybody ever done the NYE events at either resort, I'm thinking of going to liberty tomorrow night, but wondering what people think of the events

camp
December 30, 2016
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Anybody ever done the NYE events at either resort, I'm thinking of going to liberty tomorrow night, but wondering what people think of the events

If you wanna buy a beer or a glass of wine, don't go to Whitetail.

eggraid
December 30, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

We went to whitetail today. The crows were very manageable. The lines for the main pod lifts were usually only 3-4 groups deep and never filled the queue that they set up. We had plenty of company on the slopes themselves, only two trails were open for each lift, but the trails that were open had great coverage. We are going to head to Liberty tomorrow if anyone else is going to be there 

eggraid
January 2, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Liberty was good on New Year's Eve, it wasn't crowded at all. After talking to non-skiing obsessed friends, I think people think that the local resorts aren't open for a lack of snow. Liberty has good coverage on most of their trails, all but one of the blues in the back are open, which made for some fun runs. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?