Bargin Spring Skiing!!!
1 post
1 user
2k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 3, 2017 (edited April 3, 2017)
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

I had a great day of Spring skiing yesterday at 49 Degrees North Ski Area in Chewelah Wa.  One of the coolest ski area names .... it did not disappoint!

The ski areaa is in transition from a typical western Forest Service day use area to a more "resort" type area. Presently they just have a day lodge but they are building lodging, adding condos and an expanded base area.   They boast almost 2000 ft of drop off 6 chairs. Spread across two peak with five skiable faces this is a serious area and soon to become more so.

I had to work the morning in Spokane but was at the mountain by noon. This was perfect timing as the morning was cool and had frozen the slopes hard. When I arrived the sun came out and things began to loosen up.  It had rain recently so  all the no groomed trails where pretty much a frozen mess when I started at 1230 but the groomed stuff was fine. As the day when on the sun went to work and by late afternoon everytime was nice and soft. The groomers where nice corn and the un groomed had loosen up so that they were ski able.

Hope fully the expansion will improve the lifts. A slow over mile long old double (w/o a safety bar nor a foot rest) was the only way to get to the peak. None of the other lifts were fast either.  But you get what you pay for and as it was customer appreciation day with half price lifts....  I skied for four hours for all of $18!!!!  It was so worth it !

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.