9 posts
3 users
3k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 20, 2017
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

All -

Very interesting read. Normally as consumer megers are never good. They normally result in loss of choice and service. But the point is made that the ski business is not a normal business. The mergers in least for the Vail resorts lead to better consistiancy of product.I might note that expectation of product also differ. In the East we ski ice or thin cover becuase it is all there is some time. Out West folks would go home to ski another day.....However it also points out that location is a huge driver. Not sure how many Epic, MAX  or other multi resort pass holders hit multiple area. The author make an excellent point in that Loveland is prospering even as the resorts around it consolidate.

http://www.powder.com/stories/news/what-corporate-mergers-mean-for-skiers/#7fbMzVMP8IxD3bUJ.97

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 20, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I think those who buy the MCP generally expect to get to at least two of the destinations.  Doesn't really make much sense otherwise.  Assuming not a family who bought two $1 kid MCPs for a 1-week ski vacation out west.  With the separation of Alta and Snowbird, plus the addition of Snowbasin, someone could spend a week in SLC next season and pay about $400 for 7 days of skiing, assuming they buy while the bonus day is still available.

We heard that Taos was hoping for 5000 MCP holders for 2016-17.  Already had about 2000 by early Feb.  It was the second season Taos was on the MCP.  My guess is that most of those people also went to another MCP destination at some point during the season.

Sun Valley regulars have noticed more people around since SV was added to the MCP.  I doubt very much anyone would buy the MCP just for a week in Ketchum.

I've had the MCP for a few seasons.  My friends and I plan a mid-season trip to 1-2 MCP destinations, plus I use it for my usual late season trip to Alta.  Usually ski 4+ days at the primary destination.  50% off on additional days is a good deal at MCP ski resorts since those rarely have any other discounts available unless someone stays in resort lodging.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 20, 2017
3,246 posts

Anyone who buys the standalone MAX Pass for $629 plans to ski at 2+ locations.  Getting 10 days (5 + 5) is a decent deal if that includes a ski vacation week at Big Sky or Steamboat or Tremblant or Sunday River.  Throw in a few days at Solitude and/or Brighton, or a couple of assorted places in NY/VT/NH/ME . . . pretty easy to justify getting a MAX Pass.  Even for people who mostly ski on weekends.

jimmy
April 21, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

marzNC wrote:

I think those who buy the MCP generally expect to get to at least two of the destinations.  Doesn't really make much sense otherwise.  Assuming not a family who bought two $1 kid MCPs for a 1-week ski vacation out west.  With the separation of Alta and Snowbird, plus the addition of Snowbasin, someone could spend a week in SLC next season and pay about $400 for 7 days of skiing, assuming they buy while the bonus day is still available.

Splitting Alta and Snowbird makes buying this pass a no-brainer if you ski Utah. 

April 21, 2017
499 posts

I purchased Epic for the 3 skiers in my fam. We have a week at Xmas (BC) and a week at Spring Break (Breck) planned so it made sense. I am a Vail Reports fan as by basing in BC or Breck I have 5 options every day.

Also I am moving back East to RI this summer  my goal will be ski at Stowe enough to get the pass well under $50 per day.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 21, 2017
3,246 posts

I did a last minute trip to Stowe just because it was on the MCP when the Ski Divas were there in early March.  Heard from several locals that they were quite happy that a Stowe season pass would be much less with the purchase by Vail.  Used to be around $2000.  Presumably they are expecting the "local" Epic Pass to be under $1000.  At the same time, they are a bit worried about the parking situation.  Got pretty bad this season with all the good snow days.

The folks local to Tahoe seem the most worried about more people buying an Epic Pass are are travelers.  They even complain about how "expensive" the Tahoe Local Epic Pass has become.

Not sure I'll make it.  But a couple days at Sugarbush using the MCP next season would be fun if I'm in the northeast any way.

May 2, 2017
499 posts
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 2, 2017
3,246 posts

For another view on the recent buyouts from the perspective of a die hard skier:

http://www.theskidiva.com/is-consolidation-good-or-bad-for-the-ski-industry/

She notes that the Mountain Riders Alliance is trying to help really little ski areas stay in business.  As I understand it, one example of how those places cooperate has to do with insurance.  Very different from the multi-resort passes like MAX Pass or MCP.

May 5, 2017 (edited May 5, 2017)
499 posts

A very interesting graphic on the topic.

http://www.saminfo.com/ownership-timeline

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?