There's snow tellin'.
Home
2017 / 2018 Mid Atlantic Opening Days
25 posts from 15 users
Updated 23 hours ago
Jump to Newest Post
15 days ago

With lows in the 10s and 20s this weekend it’s got me thinking about the ski slopes blowing snow and opening.   Figured we need a thread to keep track of it so here we go! 

I saw 7spring was hooking up the hoses and snow guns today so they probally will be blowing snow over the weekend.    I am sure a bunch of other places will be doing the same.  

15 days ago

According to SkiSoutheast, Massanutten is thinking about opening before Thanksgiving.  That would be a first in my experience skiing there since 2004.  Obviously the new pipe and water supply is changing their thinking about when to crank up the snowguns. have more automated snowguns too.

15 days ago

Is this possible?

15 days ago

squeakywheels wrote:

Is this possible?

That’s a long way out, but I would certainly not complain if it held true!

14 days ago

I think they will start blowing Friday the way things are looking.  Game on in less than 2 weeks if we’re lucky!

14 days ago

Snowshoe is still advertising november 22, this weekend will probably determine if the can make that or not.

14 days ago

J Berk out of Baltimore is on board.

14 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

Snowshoe is still advertising november 22, this weekend will probably determine if the can make that or not.

I expect they’ll be cranking it out this weekend to test new guns, lines, etc.

14 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

I expect they’ll be cranking it out this weekend to test new guns, lines, etc.

Looks like it’s official

13 days ago

The forum jumped into high gear. Winter must be close!

13 days ago

Snowshoes guns are blasting this morning. Game On!!!

10 days ago

Anybody know the status of Timberline?  Last I saw they announced a joint ticket arrangement with Canaan Valley that Canaan Valley said was not true.  Any news at all?

MorganB

10 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

Anybody know the status of Timberline?  Last I saw they announced a joint ticket arrangement with Canaan Valley that Canaan Valley said was not true.  Any news at all?

MorganB

Can one ever really know the status of Timberline? ;-)  

9 days ago

Nice to see the guns on at noon in Snowshoe.  If they don’t get too much rain the next few days they may be in pretty good shape for the 11/22 opening.  Just talked to some folks down there and they are calling for some natural snow and cold temps the latter part of the weekend.

7 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

Timberline traditionally opens mid-December.  I saw a recent photo of most of their snowguns  in the parking lot.  Guess they are getting ready to put them in place.  So doubtful that they have tested the system fully at this time and if recent history is of any use there are normally substantial repairs to be made.  So we should keep our fingers crossed for a mid december opening if there is cold weather.

7 days ago

TomH wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

Timberline traditionally opens mid-December.  I saw a recent photo of most of their snowguns  in the parking lot.  Guess they are getting ready to put them in place.  So doubtful that they have tested the system fully at this time and if recent history is of any use there are normally substantial repairs to be made.  So we should keep our fingers crossed for a mid december opening if there is cold weather.

I’m guessing by MLK weekend they will have both White Lightning and the Salemander open if you guys want to plan a trip.

6 days ago

Mr Fish, How is it looking for Thanksgiving in the Mid-A?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Mrs!

MorganB. Aka The Colonel

6 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

Best case status, their operation is as smooth as it was last year. Has Timbers re-opened yet?7

6 days ago

Snow making temps next week. Hopefully numerous local areas take advantage to start building their bases. Economically, I don’t expect many local areas to open before ~Dec 8, but to open even then you must make hay when you can. 

6 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

J Berk out of Baltimore is on board.

Rat back atya Colonel!…Above was the idea awhile back that got the snow geeks all excited like a troop? of chimps in a Jane goodal documentry going apeshit over a bunch of Bananas!…Me too!…Uall can see that huge blocking High over Greenland that was supposed to block all the cold air and push it down to us in the East and then forming a good storm at the base of the trough of cold…well…here is a shot of all the really cold stuff up in Canada and Alaska that was going to unleash on us…
parts are coming down as you can see here on Monday Tgiving week giving some lake effect and snow blowing cold to our area but it doesnt last as long and is not as deep as was showing on the models earlier…then the Big Tgiving Blast that looked so awesome with the storm potential earlier will be coming in mostly dry and the cold starting tuesday evening will split by saturday afternoon with possible rain following…(GFS look…Euro has cold ending earlier but then coming back by late Sat/Sun..).Snowshoe could get up and running but they..according to the Don are hedging now..maybe because they just dont think it will be worth the effort..dunno..wait n see….here is a pic of Tgiving day…blocking high still up at Greenland and cold shunted down to us…

The pattern looks active and the cold shots look to keep coming in..but its only Nov 16th…we would be loving life with this pattern for Xmas…I cant snow play till the end of January so uall have fun…im gone Fishing!

4 days ago

Dec. 14 and Dec. 15 are the target opening dates for Timberline and Canaan Valley.

3 days ago

Appalachian is blowing snow right now woot woot!

3 days ago
Unofficial information from 7springs is a Friday 11/24 opening!
3 days ago

Was looking at a day trip this Saturday but realized NEXT weekend Applachian will have $5.00 lift tickets Saturday and Sunday.  they’ll probably also have more terrain open by then.. So, being on a tigher budget, much tighter, I’m going to pass this weekend and just spend time getting the house ready for the holidays and take a kid or two skiing next weekend instead..

23 hours ago
Weather permitting of course, WIsp has scheduled a December 15th opening.

Ad: Princeton Sports

Snow reason not to share.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds