Weather this weekend - predictions?
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2018
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Interesting system coming coming through Thurs-Sat... anyone care to make a few predictions or guesses for snow in the Laurel Highlands and Canaan Valley?

crgildart
January 10, 2018
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Watching things a little further sout in VA.. Looks like heat on high Saturday followed by hard rain then bitter cold.. Perfect formula for bulletproof refrozen covered with glaced ice and a side order of death cookies after they try to groom it Sunday and Monday.  I'm in!!!

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 10, 2018
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

crgildart wrote:

Watching things a little further sout in VA.. Looks like heat on high Saturday followed by hard rain then bitter cold.. Perfect formula for bulletproof refrozen covered with glaced ice and a side order of death cookies after they try to groom it Sunday and Monday.  I'm in!!!

I'm hoping with the drop in temperatures Saturday, resorts will be able to fire up the snowguns and immediately cover up the rather unpleasant scenario you describe above with ample amounts of fresh, packed powder, restoring all that is good and right in the world.  Are my dreams going to be crushed?

eggraid
January 11, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Scott wrote:

crgildart wrote:

I'm hoping with the drop in temperatures Saturday, resorts will be able to fire up the snowguns and immediately cover up the rather unpleasant scenario you describe above with ample amounts of fresh, packed powder, restoring all that is good and right in the world.  Are my dreams going to be crushed?

I'm afraid I'm on crgildart's side on this one. I'll be at snowshoe to find out!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I'm hopeful for Massanutten.  Going with a friend who has pretty good luck on the holiday weekends.  She and her skied have skied at Mnut more than once during a snowstorm in the last few years.  Night time temp predictions look promising.

eggraid
January 12, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

This afternoon at the 'shoe was much better than I thought it would be. No crowds whatsoever, and the snow held up pretty well through the rain. There was some thick fog at times, but we had one short burst of rain riding up Western Express Lift around 1:30, and that's about it for the rain. Some trails were icy - Upper Shays was really bad, and most of them had icy spots - Upper Ballhooter, spruce, but Grabhammer, lower Ballhooter, and Skipjack were the gems. 

My partner in crime and I at the top of Gandy Dancer to start the day at 11:30. (Yes, we let her skip school today to get an extra day of skiing. She aced her test on division and I can't resist that smile)

This was the extent of Ballhooter lift line the entire afternoon 11:30-3:30

Add together 54 degrees and rain and you get raging rivers coming down the mountainside. This one was at the bottom of Powder Monkey lift.

We had Cupp Run to ourselves. It had some icy patches, but the snow that was there was not overly soft or slushy, which was a complete shock.

See you out there

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great report, looks like the holiday weekend will be great.  ENJOY!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.