Snowshoe for March Part 2
26 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts
Franck Dubarry announced in front of a group of ski Southeast that there will be a 4 million dollar upgrade to the snow making equipment at Snowshoe next season if I heard him correctly he was talking about something like 70 more snow guns being added at strategic locations Someone in the other thread asked about Shades revenge and it is toast will not be reopening this year but they were blowing snow on cup all day long as well as all over areas of the mountain today. We were told they plan to be open until April 1st as scheduled.
March 3, 2018
1,580 posts
Sorry for the poor grammar and typos above I'm on the phone using voice recognition
snow.buck
March 3, 2018
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

"... there will be a 4 million dollar upgrade.. "

And just where is that 4 MILLION dollars gonna come from. Or is the joke on the Owners passing the new RAD! LOL

Reisen
March 3, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Great news. Snowmaking is key in the mid-A. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Bonzski
March 3, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
Perfect grammar with my beer goggles!
dwm8a
March 3, 2018
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts

Thank you for the update.

Shotmaker
March 4, 2018
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

snow.buck wrote:

And just where is that 4 MILLION dollars gonna come from. Or is the joke on the Owners passing the new RAD! LOL

He made it clear that Alterra would be behind the purchase of 74 snow making guns.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2018 (edited March 4, 2018)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Well, I was hoping for a lift upgrade.  But if a Resort lacks skiable snow covered terrain, then all the lift upgrades will accomplish nothing!  Hopefully there will be a part two surprise with more funding this year.  Kudos to Frank DeBerry and the Snowshoe crew for the great job they have done to maximize the ski experience this crazy season! 

MorganB

March 5, 2018 (edited March 5, 2018)
1,580 posts

Snowshoe is really pumping out snow at Silver Creek.  I read they are keeping it closed until Friday then opening it back up for the weekend.

Cupp was kinda "messy" this past weekend.  They were blowing snow on it on Saturday during the day.  It had some narrow patches at the very top and also at the top of the steep part on lower Cupp.  Hopefully they can it it back in shape for next weekend.

They were building a small whale next to the Waffle Cabin over the weekend.  That gun ran for about 48 hours straight while I was there.

Saturday was REALLY busy.  SC did not open until 4 PM, there was race practice on Widowmaker until 11 AM and Cupp shut down for a couple hours on Sat (Lift related).  That sent everyone to Ballhooter.

Coverage is pretty darn good on most trails.  I'm heading back on Wednesday to try and get some non weekend laps in before the Spring Breaker arrive for the weekend.    

wgo
March 5, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
So do you think they will be opening up additional trails at SC this weekend?
Bonzski
March 5, 2018
652 posts

Cupp was much better on Sunday and so were the crowds.  Lines were half of what they were Saturday.

Reisen
March 5, 2018
368 posts

Just booked our lodging for this weekend.  The family really enjoys being in the village (and walking to Starbucks, restaurants, magic carpet, and Split Rock), so I wanted to make sure we got something.  The cumulative lodging discount as part of the ridiculous pass is a good deal; it saved us about $40 a night (and would have been much larger if we had booked something more expensive).  

I wonder / hope the Ikon pass might give the same benefit?  If you stay three times, the  discount alone pretty much pays for the ridiculous pass.  

One other thing to note: I just read on Facebook that the Primo Pass will be a $199 add-on to the Ikon pass, but will not be available as an add-on to the Ridiculous Pass.

wgo
March 5, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Reisen wrote:

Just booked our lodging for this weekend.  The family really enjoys being in the village (and walking to Starbucks, restaurants, magic carpet, and Split Rock), so I wanted to make sure we got something.  The cumulative lodging discount as part of the ridiculous pass is a good deal; it saved us about $40 a night (and would have been much larger if we had booked something more expensive).  

I wonder / hope the Ikon pass might give the same benefit?  If you stay three times, the  discount alone pretty much pays for the ridiculous pass.  

One other thing to note: I just read on Facebook that the Primo Pass will be a $199 add-on to the Ikon pass, but will not be available as an add-on to the Ridiculous Pass.

Great! We will be there as well. Staying in Mountain Lodge.

March 5, 2018
1,580 posts

If you are a Snowshoe regular you've seen that guy wearing that fur coat with the hood.  I rode the lift with him on Sat and he has the Primo Pass b/c he can only come on weekends this year.  He was basically doing 3 runs to my one on Ballhooter on Sat.

Super friendly guy.  I think he said he paid either 600 for the Primo or it was a 600 ad on to the Ridiculous Pass.  He said one day he did 10 runs off the Ballhooter lift in one hour.

1,580 posts

Reisen wrote:

Reisen - where did you see this?  I called SS and the Rep was unable to confirm this.  I'd gladly pay 200 add on to skip the Ballhooter line all season long.

EDIT:  I found it.  If I can get a buddy or 2 on board, I'm going to try it.

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-and-passes/primo-season-pass

Reisen
March 5, 2018
368 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Reisen wrote:

Reisen - where did you see this?  I called SS and the Rep was unable to confirm this.  I'd gladly pay 200 add on to skip the Ballhooter line all season long.

It's buried in the comments below SS's Facebook post on February 22nd announcing Ikon Pass pricing.  

Here's the copy paste:

Rodney Poole Will the Primo Pass be available as an add on for the Ridiculous Pass?

Snowshoe Mountain

Snowshoe Mountain Primo Pass will be available as an add-on to Ikon, but not Ridiculous.

Snowshoe Mountain

Snowshoe Mountain The Primo Pass will be available as a $199 add-on to both Ikon and the Ikon Base Pass.

Reisen
March 5, 2018
368 posts

Another thing to note: it's $49 for kids.  You also get reserved parking at Shaver's center.

March 5, 2018
1,580 posts

Reisen wrote:

Another thing to note: it's $49 for kids.  You also get reserved parking at Shaver's center.

Kinda crazy - SS staff was uninformed but a simple Primo search on their website turned up all the goods

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-and-passes/primo-season-pass 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The SS Primo Pass for 2018-19 is only an Add-on option, $199 for an adult, $49 for a kid, must be purchased by phone.  Must first purchase an Ikon pass, either the $899 full version or the Base pass for $599 for an adult.  Both Ikon tiers give unlimited access to SS, plus access to Alterra resorts and 7/5 days at Partner destination resorts (most Partners are also on the MCP).  Primo perks directly related to skiing include an Express Line on popular lifts, VIP parking at Shavers, First Tracks on Saturdays during "peak season", and spring skiing starting March 6, 2018 until closing (April 1?).

Is that the story?

Bonzski
March 8, 2018
652 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

snow.buck wrote:

He made it clear that Alterra would be behind the purchase of 74 snow making guns.

Sorry buck, the RAD legally cannot fund snowguns.

Email from Snowshoe today clarified it's 74 fan guns and 91 low-e stick guns.  They selected Demaclenko fan guns.

Reisen
March 8, 2018
368 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Shotmaker wrote:

snow.buck wrote:

Sorry buck, the RAD legally cannot fund snowguns.

Email from Snowshoe today clarified it's 74 fan guns and 91 low-e stick guns.  They selected Demaclenko fan guns.

Resorts are still buying stick guns?  I thought everything had transitioned over to fan guns.

Shotmaker
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

The stick guns that went up at Snowshoe on Cupp a couple years ago have really worked out as an efficient way to replace lost snow.  They still make the whales at the beginning of the season with an assortment of machines but can maintain the 1.5 mile run much more efficiently with the sticks as the season goes on.  Cupp also benefits from a lower profile on the NW side of the ridge with some treeline shading.  Hopefully more can be done on Shay's to build a deeper sustainable base but the upper half unfortunately receives a lot of direct sun as it's on top of the ridge.

Bonzski
March 9, 2018
652 posts

Not your daddy's stick guns.  These are low energy, produce equal snow to the old technology yet use something like 80% less energy (air).  Game changer because it allows Snowshoe to make snow on all parts of the mountain simultaneously, instead of staging sections over time. Automation will also bring it's advantages...not more sending teams out to connect and turn on guns.  When the wet-bulb and temps right, BAM!  Bottom line is more open earlier. Like Swoop said.....a Cupp of pow with your turkey dinner!

Reisen
March 9, 2018
368 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Not your daddy's stick guns.  These are low energy, produce equal snow to the old technology yet use something like 80% less energy (air).  Game changer because it allows Snowshoe to make snow on all parts of the mountain simultaneously, instead of staging sections over time. Automation will also bring it's advantages...not more sending teams out to connect and turn on guns.  When the wet-bulb and temps right, BAM!  Bottom line is more open earlier. Like Swoop said.....a Cupp of pow with your turkey dinner!

Interesting!  I am, by far, no expert in snow making.  I guess I had thought fan guns were newer tech, more efficient, could produce larger volumes of better quality snow in a wider range of temperatures and humidities, but all that came at the cost of being more expensive and requiring a larger physical footprint.  

I assume some of this must still be true, but good to know that there are newer tech stick guns that still have a place integrated snowmaking operations.  I feel like so often I see stick guns they are iced up or leaking.  Always assumed they were just old tech whose days were numbered.

March 9, 2018
1,580 posts

Those Cupp stick guns have been running NON STOP for days and there is a TON of snow on Cupp right now.  I mean a TON.

There are a couple of those DemacLenko fan guns near ballhooter and they can really make some snow.  Those, too, have been running non stop.

I know a couple of you guys are heading down so I'll be curious as to others thoughts on the snow amounts.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The newer stick guns are a lot quieter than the ones from more than five years ago.  Was very obvious when I took the long green at Wildcat in NH a few years ago during early season.  Could barely hear anything even though all the sticks were going full blast putting down base that was wetter snow.

Wintergreen and Massanutten have really benefitted from having automated stick guns in the last few years.  Wintergreen was 100% automated a while back.  Mnut has been buying new guns and automating older ones.  With automation also can mean less need for lights to be on, at least for a while when no one is checking them out.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?