TR - Snowshoe March 8, 2018
18 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

(Video below if you don't care to read this)

I took a vaca day today and snuck down to SS last night.  Coming south on 219 the roads were covered in snow and I could barely see from the Brazenhead Inn at the to Mtn Lodge.  Darn near white outs a few times.

It's been snowing almost non stop since I arrived last night I started at Ballhooter rope drop at 9 AM.  I hit Spruce, Skip Jack, Grabhammer and Ballhooter all within the fist 30 minutes.  No lines at the lift and each run had about 3 - 6 inches of fresh snow over teh previously groomed trails.

After the "Ballhooter 4" I cruised down that green run to Soaring Eagle.  I knoched off Camp 99, Widowmaker and  J Hook in order.  Once again all had fresh snow but by now most was skiied thru.

Now it was time for the dreaded Powder Monkey trek to Cupp.  I took Skidder to the top of Gandy but for some reason the top of Gandy was still closed (there's a ton of snow there).  I swung around and cut in on the side near Choker.  Of course P Monkey was slow as Moses and stopped a couple times (ANNOYING). 

I spoke to a guy coming from Cupp and he confimred my fears.  Plenty of snow but guns were running.  Damn!  Cupp has a TON of snow on it but becoming a human popsicle is not for me so I was one and done there

A quick trip down Choker to Powder Ridge lift took me to the former park.  The moved it to the skiers left trail (name? ) and made all the jumps bigger.

Back up P Monkey and down to Moonshie and over to Ballhooter.

Stoppoed at the depot to ask some ?s about Ikon / Primo passes - BTW Primo benes ARE NOT good until next year which is opposite of what they told me on the phone Tuesday.

I final trip down Gandy and I called it a day.  15 runs 2.5 hours of skiing.  I had to do some condo work and field a few real work emails.

I snapped a bunch of pics and vids during my short adventure and put them on a video below.

If you are thinking about a road trip this weekend, just list to the title of the Cole Swindell song - You Should Be Here.

http://go2snowshoe.com/video/ 

jim55
March 8, 2018
Member since 03/5/2018 🔗
6 posts

I will be there on Sunday for 4 days.  It's supposed to snow on Sunday.  I've seen forecast for anywhere between 3-6" for Sunday.  I am hoping the forecast sticks.

fishnski
March 8, 2018 (edited March 8, 2018)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
13 degrees and snowing march 8th at 630pm up in the Wv Alpps...whod a thunk it after that fireball they just went thru....your gonna like the latest GFS run "I cant Ski 55 Jimbo"...like a Rocky fight between Drago (Ecmwf model)...and Rocky (Us Gfs model)...Rocky just got off the Matt and smacked Drago with a great left hook..might be Rocky's last gasp...come on Rocky!...Drago is trying to take the storm south but if it misses there should still be some snow on the flip side to finish off mon/tue...meantime whoever is out there should be happy with the offerings that the Snow gods have presented!....jus say no to GW and Nega Smurfs!!!....(u know who u r!)
jim55
March 8, 2018
Member since 03/5/2018 🔗
6 posts

fishnski wrote:

13 degrees and snowing march 8th at 630pm up in the Wv Alpps...whod a thunk it after that fireball they just went thru....your gonna like the latest GFS run "I cant Ski 55 Jimbo"...like a Rocky fight between Drago (Ecmwf model)...and Rocky (Us Gfs model)...Rocky just got off the Matt and smacked Drago with a great left hook..might be Rocky's last gasp...come on Rocky!...Drago is trying to take the storm south but if it misses there should still be some snow on the flip side to finish off mon/tue...meantime whoever is out there should be happy with the offerings that the Snow gods have presented!....jus say no to GW and Nega Smurfs!!!....(u know who u r!)
Yo.  Adrian!    :-)

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
fishnski
March 8, 2018
3,530 posts
LOL...
wgo
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Ummm...is that good?
Shotmaker
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

fishnski
March 8, 2018 (edited March 8, 2018)
3,530 posts

Every model run has slid the Sun/mon storm south of the WV jackspot..even the GFS model which was the most bullish gave up and joined the rest but then this last run brought the storm back into play...back and forth like a Rocky fight!...even the best mets that I follow have been confused by this storms track...Snowshoe being a southern area might get a decent clip..
.im never happy with how much snow we get ...like a crack head...im Addicted!!!...(sitting in cold sunny florida...jus a wannabe..)

wgo
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Thanks Fish!
fishnski
March 9, 2018
3,530 posts

jim55 wrote:

fishnski wrote:

Yo.  Adrian!    :-)

Drago has just countered off the ropes...Rocky is down...again!....it looks like this time he isnt getting up...wait..he is getting up just as the end of the fight bell rings...yo Adrian..I tried...its over for any big storm hopes for sun/mon....but like I posted above there will be some snow at the fringe from the storm as it slides east and south and some backside stuff ..tue/wed..for the western front high country (ALPPS)..as the storm wraps up over the fishes n sea....

looks like march will make up for that feaky warm spell in Feb...we know its been snowy and cold for the 1st part of march and here is the Euro model looking out for the 2nd half of march..good for the whole country!

Bonzski
March 9, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Thanks Fish, I'll still keep my planks crossed for more Cheat Mtn Magic on Sunday.

fishnski
March 9, 2018 (edited March 9, 2018)
3,530 posts

Yah Bonzski..can you tell I gotta lot of time on my hands?,,lol..
I dont know if its the Hendrix Experience or the powder..or the slow motion vibe but the Video Brook posted about had me out the house for another 16 hour drive up to the Cheat/Cabin Mtn Winter Wonderland....it needs an encore!!!
 https://vimeo.com/259250819
 https://vimeo.com/259250819

oddballstocks
March 9, 2018
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Was there yesterday too.  Had my oldest two skip school for a day on the slopes, and man, it didn't disappoint.

The conditions were excellent, and no crowds.  

Only issue was one son (first trip down there for him) got car sick on 219.  Not sure how to handle that in the future.  Not sure flying around the turns at 60mph helped, but he gets car sick easily.  Oddly never an issue in windy Pittsburgh, but almost invariably whenever we're in WV.

I'm trying to figure out how to sneak a few more days in before April 1st.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

TR - March 9, 2018

Scroll to the top.  Replay of yesterday with less snow during the day.  Damn good time.

jim55
March 9, 2018
Member since 03/5/2018 🔗
6 posts

Thanks for the info Fish.   With the snow guns running non stop past week, I am still hopeful the conditions will be pretty good.  

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Should be the best in the mid-Atlantic!

eggraid
March 12, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

oddballstocks wrote:

Was there yesterday too.  Had my oldest two skip school for a day on the slopes, and man, it didn't disappoint.

Only issue was one son (first trip down there for him) got car sick on 219.  Not sure how to handle that in the future.  Not sure flying around the turns at 60mph helped, but he gets car sick easily.  Oddly never an issue in windy Pittsburgh, but almost invariably whenever we're in WV.

You can try dramamine for him, you don't need a prescription for it. That's what we give my son - and our dog.

fishnski
March 12, 2018
3,530 posts

oddballstocks wrote:

Just have your son drive...they usually only get sick as a passenger....probably not an option for you at this point but will be down the road....

going offshore fishing all the time ive found that the drops that you put behind the ear work best...they have non drowsy bonnie that works good instead of Dramamine but it really takes it out of me...you will get thru the day but feel like a ton of bricks later...have to look up the name for the drops...thats my vote..

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?