Late April: Whistler, Tahoe, or...?
12 posts
5 users
2k+ views
DCD_Ski
March 24, 2018
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
8 posts

Hi All-  I've never skied in April, but am considering going on one last trip this season, around April 18 - 22. So far, we've been looking at Whistler and Tahoe.  Any thoughts on the ski conditions in those areas during late April?  Too risky?  

Any places in North America that you'd recommend over those two for skiing late April?

Thanks in advance for your help!

bob
March 24, 2018 (edited March 24, 2018)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

For late season snow predicability, go for altitude. Loveland (thru the first Sunday in May) and A-Basin (till it runs out of snow) will be oipen. Breck will be open thru 4/22, but if the past is any indicator, it'll be on limited Peak 8 terrain after the 15th. All three have bases higher than 9500 feet

If you realy want to head west, Timberline (OR) has a base elevation better than 2x Whistler.s. but about 1500 feet lower than most Tahoe areas, which are around 3000 feet lower than the Colorado areas mentioned earlier.

No it's not too late. I'e had some great times skiing in late April and May - in fresh powder.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

This season Alta is going to be open Fri-Sun in late April.  Snowbird will be open as well.  But both places will start closing lifts so it's hard to know exactly what terrain will be available.  Deepest powder day I've ever had was at Alta on April 15 a few years ago.

Mammoth in southern CA and Bachelor in OR are other late season possibilities.

I wouldn't plan a trip to Tahoe for late season skiing.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2018
3,246 posts

Here's a webpage that provides info for families who have to plan ski trips around school vacations.  The creator, Tony Crocker, has been tracking snowfall for decades.  His data is used by ZRankings.

http://www.bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm

bob
March 24, 2018 (edited March 24, 2018)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

marzNC wrote:

This season Alta is going to be open Fri-Sun in late April.  Snowbird will be open as well.  But both places will start closing lifts so it's hard to know exactly what terrain will be available.  Deepest powder day I've ever had was at Alta on April 15 a few years ago.

Seconding that. My best Colorado powder day was at A-Basin after all the other resorts had closed. It was  May 10, 2 feet of fresh, and nobody was there because the snow had closed I-70.

April and May are normally the snowiest months for Summit County.

lkillick
March 25, 2018
Member since 03/14/2018 🔗
13 posts

Squaw/Alpine should be open late season. Often open into June.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2018
3,246 posts

lkillick wrote:

Which lifts tend to stay open after April?

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

The most dependable place is Mammoth, IMHO.  It’s not that I haven’t skied light dry powder in April in other places mentioned but for open terrain and snow quality in the 2nd half of April, I’d go with mammoth.

lkillick
March 26, 2018
13 posts

marzNC wrote:

lkillick wrote:

Which lifts tend to stay open after April?

That I do not know the answer to -- just that it has been listed as fantastic late season skiing, like Mammoth. I was under the impression that it is most of the mountain, but I will try to find out and report back. They have an amazing base right now -- 151" at Squaw.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2018 (edited March 26, 2018)
2,337 posts

Altitude is the big factor as the season gets late.

squaw; base ~6000, summit ~ 9000 , last year closed July 4

mammoth; base ~ 8000, summit ~ 11000, last year closed early august

kirkwood; base 7800, summit 9800,  last year closed April 22

last year was a near record snowfall year.  I skied Squaw about 15 days between apr. and July.  

I don’t know when Alpine meadows closed but they are under the same management as Squaw and next door.  It would make sense to concentrate their late season efforts on just one of them.  All the other Tahoe areas were closed by May 1.

As of today tahoe areas have had 350 - 400” of snow this season, about half falling in March.  Last year at this time they were at 600 - 700.  Historical average for the season is 500 at Kirkwood, which is the Tahoe area leader.  The length of this season is going to depend a lot on how fast it warms up from here.  Thus, altitude becomes a key factor.

lkillick
March 26, 2018 (edited March 27, 2018)
13 posts

Looks like they're planning on keeping both Squaw and Alpine open together. As of right now, estimated end of season date is May 28th for both.

(To be clear, I am not arguing with you that Mammoth may well be the best choice. Have just heard Squaw/Alpine has significant late territory open, and getting to Mammoth isn't practical for me this year, so I'll be checking out S/A late April!)

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2018 (edited March 27, 2018)
2,337 posts

Have fun.  Give me a shout if you want to meet.  I am sure that Squaw/Alpine will still be open.

crush, are you out there? 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?