Kayaking in Canaan Valley
7 posts
5 users
3k+ views
wgo
May 30, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Summer time question! I would like to take my kayak out to Canaan Valley. Looking for something laid back - if we look at the pic on the whitegrass website of the people paddleboarding, that is what I have in mind. Does anyone have any suggestions for starting points?

superguy
May 30, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I only know whitewater.  You can find some nice class III on the Cheat Narrows about an hour away in Albright.  Or if you're feeling brave, run the Canyon below that.  Whitewater outfitters in the area, like Cheat River Outfitters, might be able to help.

You can also get a good idea of rivers by state at americanwhitewater.org.  It'll list everything down to a class I (pretty much nothing) to VI+.

wvrocks
May 31, 2018
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
chaga
May 31, 2018 (edited May 31, 2018)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

That's the blackwater river in Canaan. It has tributaries in the Canaan State Park  you can paddle easily when there is enough water also.  Keep an eye on this to see if there is enough to paddle it. https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2333/    Right now, there is not. Spring rainy season is better chances, but when we get an inch or two of rain in the summer it can be good for a few days. We are at the top of the watershed in Canaan. The easy access things are putting in at the bridge on the main park rd near the golf course and paddle your way down to the handicap fishing pier that's behind the golf lodge area at the end of the road. Short hike back to the car for a few hours of epic scenic flatwater.  Can also put in at the bridge on timberline road, and paddle down to the old timberline wood bridge in the wildlife refuge off cortland rd. Which is a few hours paddle also. Or for a really long day, you can put in at that same old timberline wood bridge in the refuge and paddle all the way to Davis and take out the end of camp70 rd (6 hours at least!)    You can see it all easily by looking at google maps. 

Other than that, hitting a lake somewhere, or the cheat river down near Parsons is pretty much it. Blackwater Outdoor adventures in St George can tell you where to go down there. 

wgo wrote:

Summer time question! I would like to take my kayak out to Canaan Valley. Looking for something laid back - if we look at the pic on the whitegrass website of the people paddleboarding, that is what I have in mind. Does anyone have any suggestions for starting points?

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
June 1, 2018
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Drive a little north, to Garrett County, MD and kayak Savage River Lake. This lake is completely surrounded by public land and is stunningly beautiful. A little further north gives you High Point Lake adjacent to Mt. Davis, the highest mountain in PA. Also a very beautiful lake. Neither of these lakes allow motorized watercraft so you won't have the noise or have to deal with a yahoo on a wave runner. I do a lot of flat water kayaking for the exercise and the zen like nature of it. Last weekend I was kayaking Laurel Hill Lake in the Laurel Mountains of PA and was treated to a very close fly by by 2 bald eagles. Two other nearby lakes, Somerset Lake and Donegal Lake have been drained to perform dam repairs. Quemehoning Lake, is another nearby lake that is very scenic. 

chaga
June 2, 2018
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

There is now for a few days at least! 

chaga wrote:

Keep an eye on this to see if there is enough to paddle it. https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2333/    Right now, there is not.

superguy
June 5, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Drive a little north, to Garrett County, MD and kayak Savage River Lake. This lake is completely surrounded by public land and is stunningly beautiful. A little further north gives you High Point Lake adjacent to Mt. Davis, the highest mountain in PA. Also a very beautiful lake. Neither of these lakes allow motorized watercraft so you won't have the noise or have to deal with a yahoo on a wave runner. I do a lot of flat water kayaking for the exercise and the zen like nature of it. Last weekend I was kayaking Laurel Hill Lake in the Laurel Mountains of PA and was treated to a very close fly by by 2 bald eagles. Two other nearby lakes, Somerset Lake and Donegal Lake have been drained to perform dam repairs. Quemehoning Lake, is another nearby lake that is very scenic. 

Quemahoning Dam also has a really nice family park with a nice beach, launch ramp, camping, restrooms, picnic and playground facilities.  Day use fee is pretty reasonable, and done on your honor.

Water is very clean and refreshing there, too.

And for those feeling really adventurous, there's the Upper Yough in Friendsville. :D

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.