Wintergreen Deal
20 posts
7 users
3k+ views
kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2018
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I'm sorry if this has been covered but I can't find mention of it.  Wintergreen has a 4-pack available on line until Nov. 22, $169 no blackouts and it's transferable, pretty cool.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

kemperski wrote:

I'm sorry if this has been covered but I can't find mention of it.  Wintergreen has a 4-pack available on line until Nov. 22, $169 no blackouts and it's transferable, pretty cool.

Can't find it on the Wintergreen website.  Did you get the offer via email?

November 8, 2018 (edited November 10, 2018)
228 posts

their website is bizarrely impenetrable,  but here's the link 

https://www.wintergreenresort.com/mission-fourdable/

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2018
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

also on the website homepage.  https://www.wintergreenresort.com/   at least for now. 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
rbrtlav
November 8, 2018 (edited November 8, 2018)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Wisp also has the same deal, just google wisp mission afourdable and it shows up

November 8, 2018
228 posts

that makes sense, I think their season passes have some kind of recipricol deal , also with Ragged in New Hampshire?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2018
3,246 posts

kemperski wrote:

their website is bizarrely impenetrable,  but here's the link 

https://www.wintergreenresort.com/mission-fourdable/

Thanks!  For whatever reason, only get the homepage scroll when I already am at the correct URL.  Wanted to let friends know.

November 9, 2018
228 posts

Apparently you guys have not been looking at my articles over at that other site

It is an awesome deal -- I'm going to try to form a GreaterSaxapahawSkiClub to go a couple of weekends with this pass

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 9, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
November 10, 2018 (edited November 10, 2018)
228 posts

Thanks, although I see now I forgot to actually put a hyperlink in that article

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

WG, Wisp & Ragged ski areas are owned by same Company

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

WG, Wisp & Ragged ski areas are owned by same Company

To be completely clear, Wintergreen and Wisp are owned by EPR, which deals with development and operations for resorts of various types.  Pacific Group Resorts holds an operations lease for Wintergreen and Wisp.  Pacific Group also operates Ragged and Mount Washington in BC.  I'm not sure what the ownership is for those two places.  A lot of money has been spent at Ragged in recent years.

Feb 2015 article about sale of Wintergreen to EPR

https://www.newsadvance.com/nelson_county_times/news/a-closer-look-at-wintergreen-s-sale-to-epr-properties/article_96fc39ae-b7af-11e4-9350-8ff5494f560f.html

EDIT: looks like Ragged was sold to an affiliate of Pacific Group in 2007.

https://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/6218-4738-711-ragged-mountain-sold-to-utah-developer

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,246 posts

Apparently the Mission Four'dable idea was done at Ragged the first time for 2017-18.  Also $169 for 4 tickets for 2018-19.  Ragged has RFID, so get 4 disposable RFID tickets that are fully transferable.  Price goes up to $189 and then available Nov. 23 thru Dec. 22, 2018.

I stopped by Ragged in October to look at the base.  I was impressed by the lodge buildings and was a bit surprised at how nice they were.  It's had a pretty hard time over the years.  Now I understand why it looks so good in 2018.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2018
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

The only reason I'm not jumping on this is I'll be getting my oldest the PA Snow Pass, so I'll be in the Keystone State for the most/all of my skiing. Now, if I see a deal like this next year? I think I'll get it.

rbrtlav
November 10, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I've been to Ragged twice. The main lift are a HS 6 and a HSQ. Both times I have been there have been during warm periods, the lodge is probably one of the nicest I have seen anywhere. The second trip I was there was 50 degrees but was 1.5 half weeks after a few feet of natural snowfall, so some of the glades were still skiable. 

With the lift infrastucture they have, and the lodge it seems like they need to see more lift tickets for long term success... but that being said the amount and qualitly of glades off the HS six pack seemed amazing, and I would gladly go back to explore some more.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2018
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

I've been to Ragged twice. The main lift are a HS 6 and a HSQ. Both times I have been there have been during warm periods, the lodge is probably one of the nicest I have seen anywhere. The second trip I was there was 50 degrees but was 1.5 half weeks after a few feet of natural snowfall, so some of the glades were still skiable. 

With the lift infrastucture they have, and the lodge it seems like they need to see more lift tickets for long term success... but that being said the amount and qualitly of glades off the HS six pack seemed amazing, and I would gladly go back to explore some more.

How does Ragged compare with Wintergreen in terms of terrain in general?  Does it make sense that Pacific Group would be able to use what they learn at Ragged to make Wintergreen stronger?  The biggest difference I can think of is that Wintergreen has lots of lodging at or very near the slopes while Ragged resort lodging is an Inn down the road and a few new on mountain condos.  They both has true high speed lifts, which the closest competitors do not.

rbrtlav
November 11, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

marzNC wrote:

How does Ragged compare with Wintergreen in terms of terrain in general?  Does it make sense that Pacific Group would be able to use what they learn at Ragged to make Wintergreen stronger?  The biggest difference I can think of is that Wintergreen has lots of lodging at or very near the slopes while Ragged resort lodging is an Inn down the road and a few new on mountain condos.  They both has true high speed lifts, which the closest competitors do not.

I have never been to Wintergreen, just Wisp and Ragged from the Pacific group. To me it seems like they are working to bring more of the wintergreen/wisp model to Ragged as it looked like there was condos and homes for sale. I think part of the problem Ragged has is that it isn't in North Conway or near the tourist areas like Gunstock, so they were trying to bring the families to the mountain, but there is a ton of competition up there. 

The one thing Ragged has that was really nice (and could be imitated elsewhere) is the beginners area is off to the side with its own lift and own trails that have nothing merging into them. They also had some "features" like a barn that kids can ski through to work on turning and a few other skill building things. It kind of reminded me of how Whitetail has their learning area.

rbrtlav
November 11, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Also looking around Mount Washington in canada it part of the same group and it looks like starting this season Pacific group will be running Powderhorn resort in Colorado. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 11, 2018
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Also looking around Mount Washington in canada it part of the same group and it looks like starting this season Pacific group will be running Powderhorn resort in Colorado. 

I noticed that the Powderhorn logo was on the Pacific Group website, but the ski area wasn't listed under the Resorts menu.  If there is land for condo development, Powderhorn is like Ragged in that it has competition but families looking for a quieter place for weekend skiing could be interested if the price is right.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 11, 2018
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

The one thing Ragged has that was really nice (and could be imitated elsewhere) is the beginners area is off to the side with its own lift and own trails that have nothing merging into them. They also had some "features" like a barn that kids can ski through to work on turning and a few other skill building things. It kind of reminded me of how Whitetail has their learning area.

I think one of the weaknesses of Wintergreen is the beginner terrain.  Massanutten has a much better progression from never-ever to beginner to adv. beginner to intermediate.  I had a friend who started out taking lessons at Wintergreen but after I got her to try Mnut for a day, she bought a season pass.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?