Our tall tales involve tall mountains.
Home
2019-20 Major multi-resort passes: Epic, MCP, Ikon
13 posts from 4 users
Updated 18 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

I know it’s early to be thinking about next season, but since Vail Resorts has already started up their marketing machine and it’s clear that the MCP will continue, might as well start the discussion.

The big change announced last week is that Sun Valley and Snowbasin are leaving the MCP to join Telluride as a partner on the Epic passes.  4/7 days with additional days for 50% discount.

The MCP for 2019-20 is being marketed in New Zealand for the 2019 season.  Sales for the 2018-19 MCP started in early March 2018.

The Ikon website opens with the opportunity to get on the elist for 2019-20.

For last year’s thread:

http://www.dcski.com/forum/view_message.php?message_id=93356

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
21 days ago

Article about Epic vs Ikon from a business perspective.  Not much that I haven’t read before but a good introduction that includes some sense of the men in charge of Vail Resorts and Alterra, in particular Katz and Gregory.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-03-01/epic-vs-ikon-battle-for-the-best-ski-pass

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago

Epic pass sales are starting March 5 too.

I expect that the MCP will be available starting next week as well.

Peak Pass already available.  Guess that started March 1?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago

Vail Resorts made changes for Colorado for 2019-20.  With A-Basin off Epic, and Crested Butte owned by VR, there is a new option for locals who use Epic to ski Keystone.  Notice the mention of checking out Idaho (Sun Valley) and the Northeast (Stowe, Okemo, Sunapee).

VAIL RESORTS ANNOUNCES 2019-20 PASS PARTNER CHANGE AND NEW KEYSTONE PLUS PASS 

• The Company’s pass partnership with Arapahoe Basin will end after the 2018-19 ski season
  • The Keystone Plus Pass will replace the Keystone A-Basin Pass, and provide unlimited access to Keystone with holiday restrictions, unlimited late spring skiing at Breckenridge starting April 1, 2020 and five days at Crested Butte, with holiday restrictions, at a starting price of $369 for adults and $259 for kids
  • With Keystone’s plan to be the first resort open in the U.S. and Breckenridge planning to stay open until Memorial Day, the two Summit County resorts will offer one of the longest ski seasons in the country
  • Also new for the 2019-20 season is the inclusion of 10 buddy tickets on all unlimited season pass products, a 67 percent increase from the six previously offered on the Epic Pass, Epic Local Pass, Summit Value Pass and included now with the Keystone Plus Pass, Tahoe Local Pass, and Tahoe Value Pass when purchased before the customary April deadline
  • The Epic Pass offers more access to Colorado than any other pass product including world-class skiing at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Crested Butte and Telluride, while also providing the flexibility to sample Utah, Idaho, Lake Tahoe and the Northeast
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago

Ikon is going after the family market.  I’ve heard that the $1 MCP for kids during the spring won’t be offered for 2019-20.  The renewal discount is $30 if buy before April 24, 2019.

Child Pass Promotion
To provide additional value for families looking to ski and ride together, Ikon Pass holders can now purchase up to two discounted Child Ikon Passes or Child Ikon Base Passes for children ages 5-12 with the purchase of an Adult Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass. The Child Pass Promotion is available until Wednesday, April 24. This upcoming season’s offer doubles the number of Child passes available compared to last season, (in 2018/2019, only one Child Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass was available for the purchase of an Adult Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass).

19 days ago

marzNC wrote:

Ikon is going after the family market.  I’ve heard that the $1 MCP for kids during the spring won’t be offered for 2019-20.  The renewal discount is $30 if buy before April 24, 2019.

Child Pass Promotion
To provide additional value for families looking to ski and ride together, Ikon Pass holders can now purchase up to two discounted Child Ikon Passes or Child Ikon Base Passes for children ages 5-12 with the purchase of an Adult Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass. The Child Pass Promotion is available until Wednesday, April 24. This upcoming season’s offer doubles the number of Child passes available compared to last season, (in 2018/2019, only one Child Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass was available for the purchase of an Adult Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass).

I love the fact that Alterra is building a compelling family value proposition.  We will likely get Ikon passes again next season for our family of 4.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago

While there are a few other multi-resort passes or reciprocal agreements for New England, NY State, North Carolina, and out west, the only other multi-resort pass that anyone living in the DC/VA/PA is likely to consider is the Peak Pass.  At least now that Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop are owned by Peak.  Apparently that went on sale for in-person purchases on March 1.  Online info is still not available but supposedly March 5 is the start date.

Here’s info from another DCSki thread.  The Traveler is for M-F. 

http://www.dcski.com/forum/96778

Here are Peak Pass prices for 2019-20.  Check online for details.  Explorer Adult 629, Explorer Youth 399, Drifter 399, Ranger 529, Traveler 329, Scout 60.  Payment plan available.  No local passes or senior rates.

19 days ago

marzNC wrote:

While there are a few other multi-resort passes or reciprocal agreements for New England, NY State, North Carolina, and out west…

What passes cover any NC resorts?  I feel like I maybe saw one that had Beech (maybe MCP?) - are there others?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago

Keith_Moon wrote:

marzNC wrote:

While there are a few other multi-resort passes or reciprocal agreements for New England, NY State, North Carolina, and out west…

What passes cover any NC resorts?  I feel like I maybe saw one that had Beech (maybe MCP?) - are there others?

You probably haven’t heard of it.  There are a limited number of NC Gold passes sold every year.  For $775, it’s a season pass to all six ski areas in NC.

http://www.goskinc.com/goldcard/

I doubt any of the NC or VA ski areas/resorts will ever be on a multi-resort pass the includes destination resorts in the northeast and out west.  At least not until Vail or Alterra figure out how big the potential market is in Altanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh.  As well as the Floridians who make the drive to NC for ski vacations.  But I figure they should work on the mid-Atlantic first.  Alterra got Snowshoe since it was part of Intrawest.  Peak got Snowtime so that’s not available any more.  Wonder if Vail Resorts or Alterra are considering any of the ski areas/resorts in PA.  As a timeshare resort, Massanutten is not an option.  As for Wintergreen …

18 days ago

FWIW I think it was Powder Alliance, although I don’t see Beech on any current lists that compare any of the various multi-resort passes.  I know I saw it at least once in the past because it was the only resort south of Snowshoe and as such caught my attention.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
18 days ago

Keith_Moon wrote:

FWIW I think it was Powder Alliance, although I don’t see Beech on any current lists that compare any of the various multi-resort passes.  I know I saw it at least once in the past because it was the only resort south of Snowshoe and as such caught my attention.

Hmm … I’ve watched the Powder Alliance in recent years and don’t remember any ski area in the east being included.  That started in CA and is different since it’s a reciprocal arrangement that requires buying a full season pass for one of the participants.  I pay attention because it includes Bridger (non-profit), Loveland, and Schweitzer.

https://www.powderalliance.com

18 days ago

I agree with marzki, don’t think any of the discussed passes have done that

However I do remember that a few years ago when it was marketed as the one world pass Monarch had reciprical days at Cataloochee.

I heard repeatedly that the Loveland and A-basin pass will have free days to the other next year, that’s a lot of terrain within a 15 min. drive

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
18 days ago

Tuesday, March 5 is not only the day that Ikon passes for 2019-20 will be available for purchase, also the date for Epic.  The Epic tag line on the website is “Epic for Everyone, Coming March 5.”

Anyone get an email notification for 2019-20 for the MCP?

Prices for Ikon already available for all categories:

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/2019-2020-ikon-pass-on-sale

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Speak truth to powder.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds