Volkl Kanjo
17 posts
7 users
7k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2019
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Has anyone skied on or tried the Volkl Kanjo. I demo'd these skis on our current corn/sugar snow/hard pack and was very impressed. Much improved over my current 8 year old Dynastars. These skis are related to the Kendo with less metal and a slightly narrower profile and much lighter. They're supposed to be an all mountain ski. No powder or deep crud to ski in but they railed turns on the hard pack. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Might find the 2018 review when the Kanjo was newly released of interest.  At 84 underfoot, should be a good all-mountain ski.  That's based on how my ski buddy (older, advanced/expert since high school) used the RTM84 in all sorts of snow conditions out west from groomers to 15 inches of powder.  He eventually went to skis that are 90 underfoot.

http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2018-Volkl-Kanjo-Ski-Review/

Keith_Moon
March 19, 2019
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Between Kanjo, Kendo, RTM and Mantra the range of choices is dizzying.

oddballstocks
March 19, 2019
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Have the Kendo from two years back, 90 underfoot.  Absolutely love these skis, they handle hard pack well, do well in crud, and turn heavely in fresh snow and powder.

What they don't do well is tight bump runs, you'll have to skip a bump or two as you turn.  But as I get older I'm ok with that tradeoff!

The slight rocker in the tip/tail is excellent once you get into snow that allows you to slide vs carve.

I moved up to this from an AC20, which was a hard pack carver.  I'm good with 90 underfoot, although in really deep stuff I've desired something in the 110-120 range.  I only ski out west a week a year, so it's difficult to justify a powder ski for so few days.  Maybe when money grows on trees..

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
March 19, 2019
1,576 posts

I decided to buy the Kanjo (what the hell is a kanjo ?). I like it because it is a lot lighter than the Kendo which has 2 layers of titanal. The Kanjo just has a band of titanal. As an aging geezer, I was glad to shed my very heavy Dynastars. I also think the Dynastars were worn out....they lost their zip after close to 300 ski days.

dsb012
March 20, 2019
Member since 03/19/2019 🔗
2 posts

Well even though you bought them I'll give you some confirmation :)

I demoed both the Kanjo and Kendo (along with others) this Decemeber in Vermont. Loved them both but thought the Kanjos were more versatile for Mid Atlantic skiing. To me the Kendos need "more mountain", I'm not a fast skier but the Kendos made me want to go fast and wanted more open space for longer radius turns. If I was younger and had bigger places to ski I would have went with the Kendos.

I've loved the Kanjos so far this season and they've handled everything I've encountered with ease. Plus they are so light that I end up skiing much longer than I typically would on my previous heavy Salomons.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 7, 2020 (edited June 8, 2020)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Nice that I stumbed on this thread.  I just bought a new 2019 pair (182cm) at what seems like a great deal.  All descriptions fit me, ready to try downgrade my bigger, heavier Kilowatts.  I want to ask - after another year, how do you like these now ?  

June 8, 2020
1,576 posts

Like the Kanjo's because they are light but still have titanol layer. Because they are light they don't handle heavy crud very well. I switch to my Kastle's which have 2 layers of titanol and are beasts in crud. Otherwise, the Kanjos do well on hard pack and typical east coast conditions. I am happy with my purchase.

June 9, 2020
925 posts

Thanks!  Are you saying the 'heavy crud' we get around here is a problem, or the post storm crud out west ? 

My goal was to buy something different rather than more of the same.  It's not really a replacement unless it works out great. I'm jazzed about it.  And fortunately, they were inexpensive enough that changing them out would be no big deal.

June 9, 2020
1,576 posts

The experience I was relating was skiing in heavy crud at Okemo resort after the temperature soared to 70 degrees back in early March. My Kastle MX88's were much better in that heavy, slushy crud. I have not yet skied at Western resorts with my Kanjo's. As I approach old geezerdom, I appreciate the lightness and playfulness of the Kanjo. Having  heavy boards hanging from my knee joints on the lift is no longer comfortable. Lighter skis mean less tired legs at the end of a long ski day.

June 9, 2020
925 posts

ok that's extreme conditions.  I'm not worried about that.  Thanks and happy trails.

January 28, 2021
925 posts

pagamony wrote:

ok that's extreme conditions.  I'm not worried about that.  Thanks and happy trails.

Update, I used this for a week at t-line and wisp on mostly hardpack.  Awesome skis for that use.  Capable of carving both long and short radius turns.  Stable at any speed I could achieve.  No trouble in moguls or ungroomed icy crud.  Sometimes thought i might have liked a stronger tail.  Anyway, very happy with purchase.  

January 28, 2021
1,576 posts
I really enjoy this ski and feel it has improved my skiing. The one weakness I have found with this ski is heavy crud. I switched to my Kastle MX 88 and notices how good the Kastle is in crud. Of course the Kastle has 2 layers of titanol, and is thus more of a heavy and burly ski. However, I enjoy the lightness and quickness of the Kanjo, just enough titanol to give this ski some muscle. 
August 10, 2021
925 posts

1.  I am thinking about skiing again.   A little early?  idk.

2.  Funny about these skis.  I thought I never ski in that kind of slush like Snowsmith talks about.  haha.  I did a late season run to Wintergreen and hit it deep slush on upper turkey and cliffhanger.   Yep, these Kanjo's were useless  :-)   Good challenge though.   Might be looking for the beef now. 

August 10, 2021
1,576 posts
For slushy crud, you need a heavy wide ski. I use my Kastle MX 88 during days of crud, slush and even powder. The Kanjo's are not s great crud ski. But they are a good east coast ski and also do well in powder. They have enough balls to ski steeps but not the weight that kills my knee joints on the chair lift.
galactica
August 20, 2021
Member since 08/20/2021 🔗
1 posts
IMHO, it really depends on the confidence of your skill level. The Kendo can be too much for some people but the Kanjo is a little more playful, less metal, and rides very similar to the Nordica Navigator 85. Kanjo is a cruiser while the Kendo is speed machine like the Mantra M5. Ultimately, it really depends on your ski preferences and terrain. 
August 23, 2021 (edited August 23, 2021)
925 posts
Sure, but I look at it the other way around - I know my skill level, I just like playing with different skis.   I also felt kind of silly standing in a Wintergreen lift line looking at a WROD while mounted on my sainted old big mountain chargers and wanted a return to my skinny days of yore :))

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?